PROPOSED: Parcel 12 (Triangle Parcel)

Good description, I was thinking of Foxwoods. It's waaaaay too fussy for me. The balconies totally don't work with the period (whatever period that is) they are going for. I think it really needs to be a more modern design where the balconies can become a sort of sculptural element, like Waterplace.

I'm not dissapointed about it not being triangular, if something were to fit the shape of the lot, it would be way to bulky. Lower stories filling the lot, then something growing out of it will do. I think the tower should be at the corner across from Burnside, with the lower levels extending to Memorial.

I think I like the base, but the tower is just wrong, and far too wide.

Yes, indeed. The tower is far too wide...simply not lean and tall enough. I hope the city encourages them to squeeze it and push it UP...22 floors perhaps?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is also possibilities of how to combine mondernist elements (like balconies) within a traditional framework (Otto Wagner, Dmitri Porphryios).

Can you post some photos or links to photos of building that you think work in a traditional style with a multitude of balconies?

very disappointing renderings. Again, a chance for the city to get somethign new, somethig different to CONTRAST all the great classical architecture we already have. Remember its surroundings... the post office, Union Station, the old City Hall. Instead we get this crap, with all those balconies and such a boring symmetry. I bet Brussart loves it. Looks as bland as the new Westin tower.

I am also very dissapointed by the latest renderings. More so than when there was only one view. It is less inspiring now. This is a signifigant opportunity for a great NEW building, not one that mimics multiple historic styles, and very badly at that. The project is before the CCC next Tuesday morning.

A few renderings of the basic shape I would like to see on this parcel. The first two are about 15 stories, and the second two is the same basic shape, only heightened to 350 feet. All I can think of for a facade is glass, though, or maybe a mix of glass and something else like 110 will have.

hotel1.png

hotel2.png

tallhotel1.png

tallhotel2.png

I was guessing the current proposal would be situated somewhat like your second image??

- Garris

PS: Wow, what a fun tool it looks like that new Google program will be!

Yes, and just like Google Earth, they release it just in time when I have to study for finals and write tons of term papers. :P

no way.. I think the Biltmore is 220 and waterplace 1 will be 235.. I have a feeling this hotel's height will be going higher too.. so maybe 285 like 50 Kennedy Plaza??

Either way.. I think completetion of this project will hasten up any ideas to make Memorial Boulevard more pedestrian friendly.

I'm thinking trees in the middle in place of that useless cement, and crosswalk/speedbumps equivalent to those near the state house :) that can't be too costly

no way.. I think the Biltmore is 220 and waterplace 1 will be 235.. I have a feeling this hotel's height will be going higher too.. so maybe 285 like 50 Kennedy Plaza??

that sounds more than reasonable for height. maybe it is all the balconies that give the building a heavy, weighted look, which makes it look a bit squat to some.

Reviews were mixed on Wurst's recommendation that the sidewalk along the Steeple Street side of the building, across from the post office, be widened.

:huh:

I'm going to invite the CCC members to step out of their cars for a moment. Steeple Street is part of a major pedestrian thoroughfare through the city (and I wish the city would start thinking of sidewalks as corridors to move pedestrian traffic through the city the same way streets and cars are thought of).

Broadway and Atwells meet at LaSalle Square, from there the thoroughfare passes the Dunk and the Convention Center along Sabin, from there it's past the Westin and the mall entrance at Emmett Square, then along Exchange Terrace past the Rhode Island Foundation, the Skating Center, and the Union Station Restaurants, to Steeple, past the Post Office and Parcel 12, then across Memorial to Angell and the East Side, or down the riverwalk.

This is a major pedestrian corridor, and by Providence standards, is heavily travelled by people on foot, especially at commuting times. The Steeple Street sidewalk most certainly should be widened.

This is a major pedestrian corridor, and by Providence standards, is heavily travelled by people on foot, especially at commuting times. The Steeple Street sidewalk most certainly should be widened.

I wonder how much wider they are really talking. Taking them from six feet to ten feet (I think they are six now, maybe they are only four) is one thing. But if the thought is to create a 20 foot wide plaza type thing with nothing but one of the walls of this building on it then that might be a legitimate concern. Granted, this is all speculation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds good. An 18 stroy building housing 200 hotel guest rooms. I'm assuming the 120 space parking garage is above ground.

Sorry to bring up a relatively old project but is this now an approved design at 18 floors or do they have to come back with a "leaner" and perhaps taller design? Any activity or news?

Thanks

Sorry to bring up a relatively old project but is this now an approved design at 18 floors or do they have to come back with a "leaner" and perhaps taller design? Any activity or news?

Thanks

Hate to be a pest...but I know of a group interested in this parcel...was wondering if they are moving in on this or it is a done deal.

Is this now an approved design at 18 floors or do they have to come back with a "leaner" and perhaps taller design? Any activity or news?

Is this now an approved design at 18 floors or do they have to come back with a "leaner" and perhaps taller design? Any activity or news?

I haven't heard anything in a while, but I do not believe it has received final approval from the Capital Center Commission.

I haven't heard anything in a while, but I do not believe it has received final approval from the Capital Center Commission.

Thank you Cotuit.

Aside from the info I recieved, I see this as such a key project in terms of connecting and expanding the Downcity and the skyline. I am going to make some more agressive inquiries relative to it's status and "final" design.

I'll advise if I get anything.

Archived