PROPOSED: Parcel 12 (Triangle Parcel)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the more i look at the mall over the years, the more i dont like its use of space. i feel there could have been more accomplished with what they had to work with... florian doesnt impress me with this one, but his ww2 memorial in DC is pretty cool... just my opinion

the fake windows drive me bananas!!!! put some offices in there. every store has a manager's office or two, why werent they located in the areas behind stores with those windows? you're telling me you couldnt scrape a few small tenants together that would occupy a few office windows along dorrance??? heck, even a few of the stores might have wanted some windows. i know their focus is to keep people inside and not looking oustide but having a couple more that opened up to the windows atleast with offices or a bathroom lounge or two would have been better than looking at false windows...

thank god :whistling:

You know what? Though I defended these guys when they first issued this render, the more I've stared at this, the less I've thought that there's any way of remedying its wrongs.

I still have no trouble with the cap or the pedestal. Of course, my trouble comes completely from the balconies. Busy is the right word for the render, I think. And unfortunately, no matter how radical the redesign, it's extremely likely that the developers are still going to include the balconies in their new plan. :(

I'm soooo happy to hear that they may be switching designers.

It's interesting (and more than a bit stomach-churning) to see the things some of these non-New England designers come up with when asked to interpret Providence - so far we have a Texas vision of New England (the 903), a Nebraska version (Sierra suites), the one above from Florida ()....any I'm leaving out?

I'm soooo happy to hear that they may be switching designers.

It's interesting (and more than a bit stomach-churning) to see the things some of these non-New England designers come up with when asked to interpret Providence - so far we have a Texas vision of New England (the 903), a Nebraska version (Sierra suites), the one above from Florida ()....any I'm leaving out?

they're all American designs...

they're all American designs...

Well, McDonald's food is distinctly American - it's also ubiquitous, well-liked by many, and ultimately not very good.

Perhaps the comparison may be odious but I find it intriguing and not at all coincidental that the worst examples of generic Disney-esque stereotypes of "traditional" architecture that are being proposed for Providence are from firms that are from built environments that are much, much different than Providence. In my opinion they don't have a good handle on the regional archetypes they're theoretically using as precedent.

I actually forgot for about ten minutes today that Rhode Island was part of the United States of America. That's how insular if feels sometimes.

I'd love Rhode Island to be it's own country but I think we might need a UN transitional authority to oversee us for a while. Kinda like East Timor.

I don't know about RI alone, but I wouldn't object to New England becoming its own country. Including Boston, the winter resorts of Northern NE, and the several Ivy League universities would put us in a better economic position. Plus we could have fun infighting between the states, sort of like the UK. :P

It's hardly worth debating regional influences on this design--in my opinion it's energy wasted on garbage.

I often think that Rhode Island needs a shot in the arm architecturally, and that it wouldn't be a bad idea for fresh outside talent to up the ante for local designers. There are good local designers, but like was mentioned earlier, they (we) sometimes forget that there is a pretty exciting outside world, too. I am hopeful that the RISD Chace Center and Rafael Moneo's design will contribute to this. Moneo has made a reputation dealing responsibly with specific historic contexts without reflexively copying or bowing to historicism.

The posted design for Parcel 12 is pure design reflex (as in GAG).

....And this is hardly an All-American city.

not all-american? says you :P

whats not american about our state? there are plenty of facts from all different topics to dispute that opinion right down to the design of our state house, which was modeled after, yes, you guessed it... the US capitol ;)

either way, i was thinking the other day before i posted that comment that a lot of the people who comment on design and some of the other development aspects in this forum have very euro-centric views of how this state and city should look. i dont think that line of thinking should necessarily always be the right one, to be honest. i like how parts of the city show our roots to outside nations through their designs and associated traditions, but when do we stop labeling them as such?

id like to see some more variety in the designs we have on our table to add to the depth and quality of our catalog of architecture. there are many more nations represented in providence other than just the western european nations. id like to see more asian and central european design integrated into our city landscape as well.

our city is as american as they come. the melting pot continues to cook in our state. but, the focus on faux-historical designs has got to be looked at. we are already known for our historical/classic architecture. however, we are not really known for anything of significance in the new architecture dept. this city needs some new construction that integrates some very up-to-date and modern architecture. it needs to show how forward looking we really have become. we cant always be looking back saying thats the only way...

how cool would it be to have some new buildings in the city that are lauded as architecture marvels in the modern landscape? they would be juxtapositioned next to the ones that won praise in the past. this would show our commitment to staying at the forefront of design and show the city to be of national and international recognition. this would also be of great importance if they wish to continue to develop the city as a hub of design. :thumbsup:

You dream of us being East Timor? :unsure::lol:

No, I meant not being part of the U.S. (I should have specified) :D

Obviously this wouldn't be a good idea because it only removes responsibility for the condition of the country as a whole but I get really frustrated with the damaging influence of certain regions at times. Despite the strengths that we have in this area, it's nice to be in the same nation as the regions that produce a majority of our food. Anyway, this is straying from the topic and I meant it mostly in jest.

As for the comment about this not being an All-American city? I'm speaking in regards to some of the prevailing ideals that are far removed from this area's collective psyche. First off, New England has more direct governing than other areas and there is generally a more liberal representation.

Rhode Island has one of the lowest sprawl ratios, among the; lowest obesity rates (4th or 5th), longest life expectancy (9th), lowest concentration of franchise fast food places in our city, worst drivers, blah blah blah. Most of those are just fun trivial facts but they represent an essentially different standard of living. Coupled with a strong emphasis on.......you know, my statement doesn't justify this much exlpanation.

What I was getting at is that we're far from the current status quo. It was a joke based on our differences. Poking fun at the rest of the country. You know, joke? That's all. (With a hint of bitter seriousness) :cry:

Odd week, excuse me.

• 3 months later...
I don't know about RI alone, but I wouldn't object to New England becoming its own country. Including Boston, the winter resorts of Northern NE, and the several Ivy League universities would put us in a better economic position. Plus we could have fun infighting between the states, sort of like the UK. :P

• 1 month later...

Archived