Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

The old Harrys BBQ was fine the way it was. Should have never moved but I guess the land lord was probably trying to double his rent.

There is an "Art Everywhere" thing going on downtown where artist will be showcasing works in vacant properties along Granby St. We may see some activity in several buildings due to this.

The old Harrys BBQ was fine the way it was. Should have never moved but I guess the land lord was probably trying to double his rent.

There is an "Art Everywhere" thing going on downtown where artist will be showcasing works in vacant properties along Granby St. We may see some activity in several buildings due to this.

Gotcha, good call.

I tried to get friends that are participating at the hacker space to come up with something for the Art Everywhere contest, but no real interest perked up.

Maybe next year.

Harry's BBQ on Granby: the for-lease signs are gone, the windows are clean and there appears to have been activity inside.

Are they re-opening as Harry's BBQ? I know that they originally moved to Tazwell, which is now "Soulicious." That'd be great if Harry's made a comeback ala Jack Quinns though.

Ate at the Kabob Shack. I'm a fan. It was good. The manager said they've been staying open til 4am on weekends trying to satisfy the late night bingers coming over from Bugattis.

The Kabob shack place is great and the prices are fair.

I wish someone would open a 24 hour diner down there. You could make a fortune on the 2am breakfast crowd if you don't mind dealing with drunks.

I agree completely. They really would make a fortune. Nowadays, for some late night grub after a long night out, everyone has to drive over to Ghent for IHOP or Donut Dinette (which stays open late night now). I know, personally, if I'm intoxicated, I'd much rather walk somewhere downtown and get some food in me to help me sober up, than get in the car and drive somewhere for it.

It'd be really cool to have a 7-11 downtown!

If we get lucky, Wells Fargo Center will get a CVS/ Pharmacy.

I wonder about retail in Norfolk all the time. How come neighborhoods in the suburbs of HR can support much more national retailers then Norfolk City can? Neighborhoods like Kempsville.. have every single fast food chain and sit-down chain known to man. Off the top of my head, I can name.. McDs, BK, Chick Fil A, Taco Bell, Wendy's Ihop, Pizza Hut, Ruby Tuesdays, Firehouse Subs, Subway, Tropical Smoothie, Outback Steakhouse, Starbucks, etc. Norfolk is the most densely populated, and the most cluttered/ crowded/ active city in Hampton Roads.. and arguably the Commonwealth of Virginia? (minus DC sprawl)... How come VB City and Cpeake City can support much more retail then Norfolk? I don't see why Norfolk's neighborhooods suck when it comes to retail. The only neighborhood that is really adeqaute when it comes to this is Ghent.

How awesome would it be to see 35th street full of national retailers? Or Granby St in the Riverview district?

But I digress. My real question is why does a suburban neighborhood with a much lower density have more retail then a major urban center like DT Norfolk.

The developer said CVS and Walgreens aren't interested at this time. I'm hoping for a Panera or a 5 Guys in there myself...

I wonder about retail in Norfolk all the time. How come neighborhoods in the suburbs of HR can support much more national retailers then Norfolk City can? Neighborhoods like Kempsville.. have every single fast food chain and sit-down chain known to man. Off the top of my head, I can name.. McDs, BK, Chick Fil A, Taco Bell, Wendy's Ihop, Pizza Hut, Ruby Tuesdays, Firehouse Subs, Subway, Tropical Smoothie, Outback Steakhouse, Starbucks, etc. Norfolk is the most densely populated, and the most cluttered/ crowded/ active city in Hampton Roads.. and arguably the Commonwealth of Virginia? (minus DC sprawl)... How come VB City and Cpeake City can support much more retail then Norfolk? I don't see why Norfolk's neighborhooods suck when it comes to retail. The only neighborhood that is really adeqaute when it comes to this is Ghent.

Actually downtown has most of those places you mentioned. McDs(St Paul), BK (Mac Mall), Taco Bell and Wendys on Monticello, Subway has 2 downtown locations one on Main and one on Granby, Tropical Smoothie on Granby, there are 4 or 5 Starbucks downtown, Outback Steakhouse is in Waterside. You have to remember that MacMall is downtown so there are a few hundred downtown retailers that you may not see driving by. I wish it was built differently but it's going to be the way it is for atleast 25 more years.

How awesome would it be to see 35th street full of national retailers? Or Granby St in the Riverview district?

While I don't usually divide things by race I could see 35th street being a strong African American business center. It has a lot of potential, I'd like to see someone reopen the 700 seat theatre over there.

But I digress. My real question is why does a suburban neighborhood with a much lower density have more retail then a major urban center like DT Norfolk.

CVS in Wells Fargo... don't set your sights too high there. Besides, there is a pharmacy on Granby that would prob be run out of business by the shoddiest of the big three pharmacies. As a resident of DT, I say a big no thanks to that.

The short answer to your other question though would probably be this: Major retail chains like two things. #1 is a FREE parking lot surrounding their business and #2 is cheap rent. DT offers limited parking in garages (which by most accounts, a lot of people do not like) and the rents are still way over-priced.

Should Wells Fargo's retail get going, I would really like to see things that are not duplicates of what is already in Ghent. 5 Guys would be new to Norfolk. Panera or SBX is adding almost nothing new. I mean if we are going the chain (or "National Retailer") route, it would be nice to see something new.

Don't even get me started on why I think that the third anchor at McArthur could/should be an Ikea or a Target with a skating rink on the roof lol...

CVS in Wells Fargo... don't set your sights too high there. Besides, there is a pharmacy on Granby that would prob be run out of business by the shoddiest of the big three pharmacies. As a resident of DT, I say a big no thanks to that.

The short answer to your other question though would probably be this: Major retail chains like two things. #1 is a FREE parking lot surrounding their business and #2 is cheap rent. DT offers limited parking in garages (which by most accounts, a lot of people do not like) and the rents are still way over-priced.

Should Wells Fargo's retail get going, I would really like to see things that are not duplicates of what is already in Ghent. 5 Guys would be new to Norfolk. Panera or SBX is adding almost nothing new. I mean if we are going the chain (or "National Retailer") route, it would be nice to see something new.

Don't even get me started on why I think that the third anchor at McArthur could/should be an Ikea or a Target with a skating rink on the roof lol...

A IKEA or Target would be really nice as a third anchor. IKEA would be a good fit since the closet location is in NOVA. Target would be also nice, since the closest location in Norfolk is on Military Highway. This is just my opinon-MacArthur never really felt like a mall to me because it never had a third anchor. I also wish MacArthur had a Old Navy, a Gap, and a food court with more variety (i.e. Taco Bell, Sakura Japan, Arbys, KFC, Dairy Queen).

A IKEA or Target would be really nice as a third anchor. IKEA would be a good fit since the closet location is in NOVA. Target would be also nice, since the closest location in Norfolk is on Military Highway. This is just my opinon-MacArthur never really felt like a mall to me because it never had a third anchor. I also wish MacArthur had a Old Navy, a Gap, and a food court with more variety (i.e. Taco Bell, Sakura Japan, Arbys, KFC, Dairy Queen).

I don't know if IKEA is really a great fit for such a prime downtown location. The traffic impacts of such a store are huge. The stores generate A LOT of car trips (try getting on the light rail with your Ektorp sofa under your arm), and TONS of truck trips (many 53' trailers delivering to the store every day, hundreds of box trucks delivering to homes, people renting u-hauls to go get stuff, etc.). Nearly all IKEA stores are located right next to major highways (and more than one when possible). They prefer suburbs where there's more space or old industrial areas where the trucks won't bother anybody. IKEA would be great in Hampton Roads, but it's not a downtown type of a store.

I don't know if IKEA is really a great fit for such a prime downtown location. The traffic impacts of such a store are huge. The stores generate A LOT of car trips (try getting on the light rail with your Ektorp sofa under your arm), and TONS of truck trips (many 53' trailers delivering to the store every day, hundreds of box trucks delivering to homes, people renting u-hauls to go get stuff, etc.). Nearly all IKEA stores are located right next to major highways (and more than one when possible). They prefer suburbs where there's more space or old industrial areas where the trucks won't bother anybody. IKEA would be great in Hampton Roads, but it's not a downtown type of a store.

personally, I think an Esprit store would be a good third anchor, not one around the area or Richmond, but quite urban:

188t.jpg

Article about some new businesses opening up downtown:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/04/new-businesses-setting-shop-norfolk

Baxter Simmons, owner of Baxter’s Sports Lounge and Snappers, plans to add two more downtown dining ventures: The 3-Way Cafe, taking the former Blue Plate space on Plume Street, will serve sandwiches for lunch on weekdays starting in early May, and Backstage Rock Bar & Grille will replace Kelly’s Tavern behind The NorVa concert venue May 13

I generally like Kellys but the downtown location was never as good the original in Ghent.

They also mention the Norfolk Florist, Vineyards Italian, 219 American Bistro, and The Palace on Plume.

I have a feeling downtown is going to really take off after light rail construction is done. Rents are coming down finally and if the reasonably priced apartments come online we should see a lot of expansion.

Is that Esprit store in NYC, or is that Richmond? You know Norfolk would never allow any wicked nice looking signage like that, it's only allowed on their buildings (Nauticus) or buildings of their friends allowed to break their laws (Bank of the Commonwealth.)

IKEA is MASSIVE. A good place for that might be Virginia Beach Blvd, old HQ building? Well, I guess there isn't enough parking there.

Heck, they could put their place in Suffolk, the locals are used to driving 4 hours to get to Potomic Mills, they can drive over to Suffolk :-)

I was looking forward towards the Wells Fargo retail but being that Norfolk is Norfolk...I am not going to get my hopes too high considering how things are fairing in Waterside and MacArthur Center (numerous recent closings). I think (new for Norfolk) national chains like Jason's Deli, Five Guys, Firehouse Subs, Bonefish Grill, Chipotle, etc. would be good. Look at the good job Hampton's Peninsula Town Center did with attracting chains that are outside the area like BD Mongolian Grill, Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant, etc. Norfolk could follow suit. Oh and a lot of people I know would like a Chick-fil-A downtown or in MacArthur Center instead of what they have in there now.

As far as the basic fast food chains (McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendy's, and Subway)...Norfolk has those...it is just missing the better chains that Va Beach and Chesapeake have like Chipotle, Fazoli's, Firehouse Subs, Five Guys, etc.

I really think the city has three areas that have a lot of potential for popular national retail mixed in with some local but the city isn't acting on it. Wards Corner/Southern Shopping Center, Military Highway/JANAF/Military Circle, and Hampton Blvd/ODU are some areas that come to mind. That Wal-Mart across from Southern Shopping Center is doing well and exceeded their expectations so much that they built Virginia's first Wal-Mart Neighboorhood Market on Little Creek Road. There is potential in Norfolk to bring more businesses in to increase our revenue but the city isn't working hard on marketing the city to attract these businesses. Military Highway has so much traffic but there are areas on it that are underutilized....and lets not get started on that shopping center in Wards Corner (north Granby/east Little Creek) that is mostly vacant.

Ann Taylor closed in MacArthur Center last week. It was the only Ann Taylor store in Hampton Roads. The company only have LOFT stores in the Hampton Roads area. It another one added to the list of the numerous closures (Godiva, Washington Redskins Official Store, Champs, Easy Spirit, Pretzel Time, Lindt Chocolate, etc.) that occured this year.

I consider 21st street different from downtown, because those fast food places along Monticello aren't really foot accessible without a hike.

Also, I think the mall has a single provider for the food court, which limits those options. It could use some new places tho. I noticed the ones there have cut down their little buffets of food (Cajun crud and the other one.)

I've heard noodles are the new Burrito. In other areas, various noodle places are popping up all over. Just like Burritos did (Moes, Chipolte, Qudobos, and our local Machismo, etc.)

Also the new office building near Norfolk Hospital is pulling some businesses out of downtown Norfolk proper. Not sure how the Jefferson Hotel building (I think that is the one that just got redone, you have to give it props, it looks good from the outside, could of used a parking garage behind it I think) will fare.

personally, I think an Esprit store would be a good third anchor, not one around the area or Richmond, but quite urban:

188t.jpg

Wasn't there a Esprit store in MacArthur for a couple of years then it closed? I remember the Esprit being there when the mall first opened in 1999. I think it was only open for 2-3 years, then it closed.