Harbors Edge Progress

vdogg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked today there inside the inside is taking shape and the assisted living wing is nice it is 17 stories -1 story which is 13th floor. also the veiw from the 17th floor is wonderful you see downtowns skyline you can also see the port norfolk people working

Any word on a possible second Harbor's Edge? We've heard that demand was so great for this tower that another one was in consideration.

Any word on a possible second Harbor's Edge? We've heard that demand was so great for this tower that another one was in consideration.

Im not quite sure about a second one but it is very nice inside and it has garden planters on the roof ( 2nd or 3rd story around back. And i can see why it would be of a high demand.

so when are we going to see a real game plan for the Fort Norfolk area. Models or images or something. This project should be sparking more change to that area sooner rather than later?

Well Ghent south seems to be moving along and HE2 was claimed to be in a predevelopment phase so things are happening. I think that until some of the land issues are cleared up you won't see a truly coherent, fort norfolk wide, development plan though.

I think its the sales of the single family homes that are showing the cooling down, not urban dwellings. It would be nice to see a twin to this one. I got a email from HRT about Light Rail and I will discuss it later on in the proper thread.

Generally Condos slow go before SFHs, as they are generally less desireable.

One thing that could effect this project is if seniors are unable to unload their SFHs first.

SF homes shouldn't be difficult to unload in a relatively stable job market such as HR. Most people prefer having a yard and some space. I hear that even in China there is a tremendous new market for housing in suburbia (scary thought, ain't it). The newly affluent in China are not happy with the hive lifestyle of the inner cities any more than they liked the rural farming commune of yesteryear.

Many of us sometimes forget that the New Urbanist movement reaches a limited market--that it offers relatively few advantages to young families. The success of Harbors Edge is testimant to the good sense of niche marketing. I am also confident that an oversupply of condo construction will help to solve some of the affordable housing shortages over time.

Sage advice: Invest in elderly housing, that's my wrinkle on real estate. A second tower? I hope it looks different. Twins of the existing would look pretty massive.

"Sage advice: Invest in elderly housing, that's my wrinkle on real estate. A second tower? I hope it looks different. Twins of the existing would look pretty massive"

I totally agree. Perhaps a more slender, taller (yea I'm a height-whore) tower of similar design details perpendicular to the existing? :rolleyes: I think it would create quite the silhouette for that portion of the skyline, and afford great views to the north to the Lafayette River and the Elizabeth River/harbor to the south and west.

It was my understanding that this thing was completely sold out before anyone even turned a shovel.

Yup, and that was years ago and they have 150 people on the waiting list. Senior housing is pretty stable and even if the condo market completely crashes there will likely still be demand for this.

• 1 month later...

I just can't wait to see the rest of this area develop. I'm interested to see what is next here besides the South Ghent Towers. I imagine things are going to be alot different than what they have drawn on HRT's website for Ft. Norfolk area.

Vdogg that first shot is from the back right in the parking lot of the Krispy Kreme bakery.

• 1 month later...

bump

this project is scheduled to have people move in the first of october if im not mistaken? All of the balconies are finally complete, the top three floors had wood 2x4s to keep people from falling out for a while, but those have been finished with the wrought iron. The entrance on Colley is being ripped up, widened and repaved, and i've noticed most of the stickers on the windows have been removed too, i do believe. SHould be soon that this major project finished...the tower at least, and residents start to move in

bump

this project is scheduled to have people move in the first of october if im not mistaken? All of the balconies are finally complete, the top three floors had wood 2x4s to keep people from falling out for a while, but those have been finished with the wrought iron. The entrance on Colley is being ripped up, widened and repaved, and i've noticed most of the stickers on the windows have been removed too, i do believe. SHould be soon that this major project finished...the tower at least, and residents start to move in

A few have already moved in.

• 4 months later...

Archived