Lansing Off Topic

hood

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never realized how much I would miss living in Lansing. Growing up in the city I thought it was boring and lacking much fun. But now that I'm in Detroit 90% of the time (only in Lansing/EL for class and visiting family) I realize how much of a part of my life it was.

Just had to hit a sentimental not before dozing off for the night. Goodnight Lansing.

downtown lansing is awesome but everyone is usuaully in the bars or clubs, or studying late nite at cooley, not too much foot traffic, but east lansing is awesome, downtown east lansing and cedar village r pretty dense areas. if u seen tha plans for downtown, the west area, and cedar village, u can start to compare the massive changes that are bout to occur for the next 20 years.

• 2 months later...

Special event coming right up.

Birthday contra dance party:

http://home.earthlink.net/~karencontracall...e2.htm#birthday

This is also a benefit for Elves & More of West Michigan (which assembles & distributes brand-new bicycles for disadvantaged children).

And greetings from the Grand Rapids forum.

(I grew up in the Detroit area, so I picked a venue midway between.)

• 5 months later...

I didnt know where else to put this, so I decided to bump this old thread...

Does anyone have information about the vacant building immediately west of the 5/3rd tower? It is a very thin structure that appears to be empty, but the ground level looks to be in the process of renovation, or a stalled renovation. I never noticed this building before, but it looked quite old. I thought perhaps it would have an interesting history or something. Sorry, I couldn't get a pic...only had my camera phone on me today.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I got in a little fender-bender on Michigan Ave. at Washington this morning.

I was critical of the new design with the traffic circle, but I was wrong...it works perfect. The problem is that you cant be driving at trying to take photographs of the beautiful new boulevard at the same time.

Oh well. The Avenue is coming along very well. The newly installed rain gardens look great. It will really be a site to see when they are completed all the way up to Pennsylvania, and the orange construction cones are removed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I'm new to registering on this site, but have been reading people's posts for several months. Hopefully I've figured out how to post!

Did people happen to catch the story in the LSJ on 1/4/08 about the Motor Wheels lofts (http://lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...EWS01/801040319)? I'm glad to see that it's full occupied and what an amazing transformation from how the building looked when I moved to the Lansing area seven years ago!

In reading the comments on the LSJ article, I happened to see a comment mentioning that many Lansing city police officers do not reside in the city. I'd assumed for a police officer sworn to protect and serve a city that living in that city was a condition of employment. How common is it for cities not to require their police to live within the city limits? What other Lansing municipal employees (firefighters, administrators, public school system employees) are not required to live within the city?

• 2 weeks later...

I love the new lampposts that are being put up on Martin Luther King Blvd between 496 and the Hall of Justice. How far north on MLK will these new black double-lampposts go? Are there plans to replace the wire-strung traffic lights with traffic lights on poles?

With these new lights, the newly-planted trees, and the brick portions of the sidewalks that were replaced, this area already looks so dramatically different!

Edited by msuschu

I didn't even realize they were doing that, but I'm happy to hear it though. I too am hoping the city starts ditching the traffic lights hung on wires, but they even put them on wires at Kalamazoo & Washington, where they just got done with the CSO.

I didn't even realize they were doing that, but I'm happy to hear it though. I too am hoping the city starts ditching the traffic lights hung on wires, but they even put them on wires at Kalamazoo & Washington, where they just got done with the CSO.

It has everything to do with cost, putting them on supported poles is significantly more expensive than to hang them on wires... however, they look better strung around the perimeter of the intersection than criss crossing over it, which is the new state standard. I believe it increases visibility and, personally, I think its more aesthetically pleasing. Though, I agree, poles would be best.