Lansing Off Topic

hood

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

msuschu,

I noticed that on Sunday, and was excited. I'd always thought that those silly looking modern lights that line MLK didn't fit in with the historic lighting of the rest of the Capitol Loop and was wondering what took them so long to switch them over to these better lights. Not are they only aesthetically better, but they provide much better lighting, and thus decrease crime. I was also glad to see them replace all of the trees they'd cut down on MLK at the west edge of downtown, and see that they even went further in adding more. They will look really good when they mature in a few more decades.

BTW, it's only a dream because I realize how expensive it is, but I've always wished that the city would require that telephone companies burying their lines along major thoroughfares, at least. I mean, driving up Larch, for instance is absolutely depressing as it is, but the sloppy wooden telephone poles that go along the entire length of the street are just terrible.

Edited by Lmichigan

• 1 month later...

A relative of mine is going to Lansing this summer and has some questions that I said I could find out for them. What hotels downtown would you suggest staying at and any suggestions on restaurants to eat at?

The only hotel of any quality downtown is the Marriott at Michigan and Grand Ave. They have good rates and is really a great downtown hotel. As for food, it all depends on what you want. Washington Blvd and Michigan Ave are both emerging food/entertainment areas. for a good lunch check out Jalape

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just the only hotel downtown of any quality, it's the only hotel in downtown Lansing. This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Even dumpier and/or smaller cities have multiple downtown hotels. All of Lansing's brand hotels are literally at the edge of the city (i.e. Edgewood, Frandor) or outside of the city, altogether. Outside of the Deluxe Inn on Washington and 496, I can't think of any other hotels/motels in Lansing that aren't at the edge of the city. You'd really think there'd at least be one by Sparrow or something.

It's not just the only hotel downtown of any quality, it's the only hotel in downtown Lansing. This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Even dumpier and/or smaller cities have multiple downtown hotels. All of Lansing's brand hotels are literally at the edge of the city (i.e. Edgewood, Frandor) or outside of the city, altogether. Outside of the Deluxe Inn on Washington and 496, I can't think of any other hotels/motels in Lansing that aren't at the edge of the city. You'd really think there'd at least be one by Sparrow or something.

I agree LMich. I remember discussion when Olds Park was built about a possible hotel going where the Stadium District is being built right now. Other than that I have never heard a word about any hotels in the city. It probably doesn't help though that we sit right between two larger cities, Grand Rapids and Detroit. Lansing generally just gets the passers through on 96 or 69.

The Deluxe Inn is downright disgusting. I wish the city would force it to close, as they have threatened in the past.

I seem to remember something about the Raddison having an exclusive contract with the city for many years. And just a couple of years ago, the city forgave quite a few million dollars in owed monies to terminate that contract and let other chains develop downtown. Looking for a link now...

Edit: According to this article, the contract was renewed?

For months, rumors around town had Gillespie building a new riverfront boutique hotel. Gillespie said that would have run afoul of the Radisson's no-compete clause, renewed by the Lansing City Council two years ago.

WTF? We let 17 million go and then just look the other way??? Did I miss something?

Edited by beatneck

I seem to remember something about the Raddison having an exclusive contract with the city for many years. And just a couple of years ago, the city forgave quite a few million dollars in owed monies to terminate that contract and let other chains develop downtown. Looking for a link now...

WTF? We let 17 million go and then just look the other way??? Did I miss something?

Yup, the city forgave millions in debt, then turned around and signed the non-compete clause again. That really pissed me off, I honestly don't know how they allowed that to happen, and I can't beleive people didn't make a bigger deal out of it.

WTF Indeed! I remember reading about them getting rid of that contract two years ago for forgiving the debt. I remember talking about it with several people in my urban planning class that day because we thought it would really help the city. Can someone well me when they signed a new contract, and more importantly why!?

The debt was forgiven and the new contract was signed as part of the same deal. I guess I should specify that the "non-compete" clause in this case only means that the city can't offer tax breaks for another hotel project. The deal actually sucks for Raddison too, without another major hotel downtown Lansing will continue to fail to attract sizeable conventions, leaving the Raddison's own rooms empty.

It should be added that the reason the city signed it was becauses the owners of the hotel were giving the city doom-and-gloom about how if they didn't sign that the Radisson would go out of business and how they wouldn't be able to find another operator/chain to take its place.

BTW, the non-compete concerning the "no tax break" clause ultimately dooms any future hotel, period, as no hotel is going to set up in downtown without being offered tax breaks. Very few projects get off the ground in any Michigan city without tax breaks, and a hotel would be no exception.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't been to wharton a whole lot of times, but I've usually sat near the back of the lower level, and even off the sides you have a very good view, I'd imagine the closer seats, nearer to the center would be better yet.

from the random and probably dumb questions section of my brain...

I was in Bay City a couple weeks ago visiting my girlfriend's family. While going through a box of old postcards I found one of the State Capitol building in which the dome was primarily a gold color. It was not dated so I could not get a time frame to reference. did the building's dome have a period of glowing color or has it always been white?

I was going to purchase it and scan it, but incredibly neither me or the lady had $1.25. LOL! I'll pick it up the next time I'm up there.

Are you sure that it wasn't a postcard done before the dome was painted? The dome is naturally the color of the base of the building as both are made out of the same sandstone. The only difference is that the dome was painted white.

I have seen some old night pictures of the capitol when it was lined with christmas light-type lights, but beyond that the dome has always shown its true sandstone color (early in its history), or was always painted (later in its history).

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Can anyone give me some information about the 3 to 4 buildings below at the corner of Michigan and Capitol Ave's that were torn down for Lansing city hall and police department? I am interested in the businesses that occupied the locations. Here is a picture below for reference.

I believe my family may have owned a business and operated a soda fountain, one of the first in lansing in this stretch. All I have is an old ad that references "steps from the state capitol."

Photo credits go to the WSU Virtual Motor City

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

24l4d3b.jpg

Edited by statedude3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hood,

Everytime I come here, now, I want to check up on the "Lansing area updates" thread you started, but every time I click on it, my computer freezes and I get a scripting error. Do you have any idea of what you posted in it that might do that? Do you have some huge photos in there or something?

BTW, why can't I send you a private message? Do you have that tool disabled?