Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pic RT! :thumbsup: Isn't that called "Founders Corner" or something like that? That's the same idea I believe Greenville is going for, starting with the new statue going in now at Broad and Main.

I don't think I've heard a particular name for the intersection of Trade and Tryon (besides center city), but it was where two important trading paths intersected back in Charlotte's history.

GAH, I bet there were some made Greenvillians looking for spots too, and that big trailer is taking up 4! :rofl:

^ :D

They actually used the trailer as a backdrop for a chef last night during Main Street Jazz. They were filming it (though I don't know for what.....maybe a commercial). Gave away free flowers, had the cooking demo, etc, etc. I'm very impressed with Bloom's marketing. :thumbsup:

Perhaps we will see a smaller urban Bloom somewhere in the downtown vicinity one day...
Really? If, say, the Greenville Journal had come up with a "TBA" story that said "Food Lion is looking at some downtown locations for a new store," you'd be happy with that news? :whistling:

Really? If, say, the Greenville Journal had come up with a "TBA" story that said "Food Lion is looking at some downtown locations for a new store," you'd be happy with that news? :whistling:

I for one would be deathly scared if I read that "Food Lion" was opening downtown. Now if they open the "Bloom" franchise downtown, then OK. Food Lion lumps in there with The Pig in my book.

Call me a food snob, but thats just my view. :D:D:D

do you know something?
Not about supermarket plans for downtown. I'm just saying that when there's a rumor about Piggly Wiggly exploring downtown Greenville (the "TBA" item from a couple months ago), it could very well be the same as Food Lion checking things out to see if it makes sense to locate a Bloom market there. Those "factoids" (rumoroids?) are so watered-down, speculative and reliant on shorthand -- so that they'd have to say "Piggly Wiggly"/"Food Lion" instead of "Newton Farms"/"Bloom" (which would require an explanation that there's not enough ink for). So, for all the hand-wringing over Piggly Wiggly coming to town, maybe Bloom's presence here should give some plausibility to the notion that Piggly Wiggly was making inquiries regarding a Newton Market. (Newton is the family name of the first generations of owners of Piggly Wiggly Carolina, Inc.) When I think of Food Lion, I think of THIS. So I'd be the one doing the hand-wringing if the rumor had been that Food Lion was checking out downtown Greenville. But Bloom is a different story (one assumes and hopes). And, well, so is Newton Market. I think.

I would enjoy a Bloom downtown, based on what I have seen and heard of the chain. I am a little iffy on a regular Food Lion, but hopefully a new store would be clean and well-run. And the name is better than Piggly Wiggly, so I would prefer it. Newton Farms is supposed to be more "upscale," but their website and renderings makes it look like a glorified barn. No thanks - ESPECIALLY not downtown.

DSCF1039.jpg

This shot was toke 6:00PM yesterday, seems to be minimum damage to the park. :thumbsup:

Couple other shots from this morning are posted in the Greenville Rains topic .

Great photos Skyliner and Trey! :thumbsup:

I can't get over how GREEN everything is in your photo Trey!

...wow! this is beautiful...

I read Symphony Center on one downtown building...does this mean city of Greenville has its own symphony? which would be great!

...the rush of the Reedy Falls is spectacular! I imagine it is that much better seeing it in person...but I hear the rushing falls as I view your pic...

Thanks! This has made my day...

I read Symphony Center on one downtown building...does this mean city of Greenville has its own symphony? which would be great!

...the rush of the Reedy Falls is spectacular! I imagine it is that much better seeing it in person...but I hear the rushing falls as I view your pic...

Greenville has a very good symphony: http://www.greenvillesymphony.org/

Conducted by a former defector from the Soviet Union Edvard Tchivzhel, who defected when the USSR State Symphony was on tour and played at the Peace Center about 1990 and later in the tour he got some friends to sneak him away from some Soviet handlers. Neat guy and if you go to the Symphony Center office that you mentioned, you might run into him. He's sorta easy to strike up a conversation with.

The G'ville Symphony has a nice season every fall, plus they will have a patriotic concert behind the Peace Center on July 4th. Don't miss it!

PeaceCenter_01.jpg

The Peace Center for the Performing Arts is simply World-class in every sense. It has the most perfect acoustics you'll hear anywhere - this is true and a well-known fact abroad.

The Greenville Symphony is absolutely fabulous. Maestro Edvard Tchivzhel has done more to improve the orchestra than any amount of money could ever have done, plus he is very entertaining to watch conduct.

Greenville has lots of talent in the music realm, and even has two other professional symphonies; the Carolina Pops Orchestra, and the Foothills Philharmonic. There are other great orchestras to enjoy at our Universities.

Support for the Greenville Symphony has grown rapidly in recent years, which parallels the growth in people interested in Greenville itself. I for one am thrilled about this, though I will warn everyone that it may be worth your money to buy a season pass if you'd like to ensure a seat for most concerts. They are experiencing quite a few sellouts these days. :D

The best part of watching the Greenville Symphony Orchestra (besides the great sound) is witnessing the improvements made over the years since Tchivzhel has become Music Director. Every season they become stronger. They also are heavily involved in the local community, thanks to Tchivzhel and a growing group of enthusiastic board members and friends. :wub:

Yikes! I'm missing all the fun. I hope my house hasn't washed off of its hillside.

Jones Gap had a huge landslide which opened a very wide path through the gully where that picture-perfect rocky stream used to flow down the mountainside. :cry: WYFF reported that the hiking trail is under 30-feet of mud and debris! :shok:

My first encounter with Jones Gap was back in 1980. There had been a similar rock slide, and my foolish friends and I climbed to the top of it. I hate hearing about the damage, but it is a natural occurance, and eventually the park will recover.

As for the symphony, I've had the privilege of performing with the symphony under Tzchivel. He tends to take tempos (tempi?) very quickly, which lends a sense of urgency and excitement to just about every piece he conducts. However, during rehearsals he is almost unintelligible. Still, he's a very cool dude.

And finally (since this is a photo thread), I've been playing with tilt-shift effects in Photoshop. Below is my attempt with the Reedy Bridges:

177422923_cc1dde7cdf.jpg

^ That's amazing! Looks exactly like a scale train set. The building with the washed out wording, the light post, the placement of trees, the shade of gray of the bridge and the people on the deck. Incredible photo Beowulf! You should do a whole series of these (and sell them)! :)