Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

"Orlando once leaned heavily on Disney World and its service-sector spinoffs to prop up its economy, but these days it's pulling in life sciences, digital media, and health-care companies with affordable (or subsidized) land and tax breaks. Electronic Arts; Hollywood animation firm House of Moves; and Burnham Institute, a top-rated cancer research center, are all expanding and adding jobs here. Despite the housing slump, such diversification will help Orlando crank out 72,600 new jobs this year and next."

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/biz2/0...biz2/index.html

"Orlando once leaned heavily on Disney World and its service-sector spinoffs to prop up its economy, but these days it's pulling in life sciences, digital media, and health-care companies with affordable (or subsidized) land and tax breaks. Electronic Arts; Hollywood animation firm House of Moves; and Burnham Institute, a top-rated cancer research center, are all expanding and adding jobs here. Despite the housing slump, such diversification will help Orlando crank out 72,600 new jobs this year and next."

One in that group has scaled back its projections.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/biz2/0...biz2/index.html

if you go to that link and click on other cities, check out the populations. it's interesting. they separate out WPB and Ft.L as separate metros. LV is up to 1.8M according to that article. they've got Tampa at 2.7M and ATL at 5.1M. I'm not sure about some of those pop. figures.

fact is, W being in office is benefitting Dallas and San Antonio.

I hate to always harp on this, but technically, ORL's population of 2M should also include at least 200k in West Volusia... there may be more than 200k there. Also, there is close to 100k in East Polk/Four Corners/Davenport and parts of Poinciana as well that should be included. ORL's numbers should be something like 2.3M.

Orlando is still No.1 on that list. I think CFRAIL will be a new catalyst to attracting more companies here in the future (moving workers to and from work). Up until now, the housing market and OIA have been major contributors.

Edited by JRS1

There was a blurb in the Sentinel about setting up bioOrlando and representing the area at a bio-tech conference in Boston in the next week or so.

that's a great idea. They can market Burham, the UF Biomed center going in, and UCF's related projects. Maybe even the VA deal, and Nemours (maybe not), and any other Orlando companies loosely involved in that industry.

if you go to that link and click on other cities, check out the populations. it's interesting. they separate out WPB and Ft.L as separate metros. LV is up to 1.8M according to that article. they've got Tampa at 2.7M and ATL at 5.1M. I'm not sure about some of those pop. figures.

WPB is indeed a distinct metro area and not part of Lauderdale. Palm Beach County stretches from Jupiter to Boca Raton and from the atlantic to Belle Glade/Clewiston. I was born and raised down there, the region may all sorta run together, but that's just a natural consequence of not being able to develop much east or west.

Orlando is a bit unique in that it's MPO includes three counties, Orange, Osceola and Seminole, and it's not hemmed in like south florida. MyRegion has been trying to encourage coordination with other surrounding counties b/c it just makes good sense. But those other counties, Lake, Polk, Volusia, and to a lesser extent, Brevard are a little light on population. But they all are growing at a pretty good clip, that is true.

as far as the housing slump, I think it's just leveling off. I think for years, central florida real estate was undervalued, we were due for an overall increase. We needed things to slow down to weed out the speculators and the folks not in it for the long run. No way could the region sustain that kind of increase...it wasn't good for business in the sense that housing costs were outpacing salaries.

That said, my company, an A&E firm, is seeing things pick up in the resort sector, which I think is a very good sign. Guess that's the silver lining of the dollar slumping overseas.

• 2 weeks later...

SunTrust cuts costs, might scale back presence in Orlando tower

Richard Burnett and Jack Snyder {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writers

Posted April 19, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...eadlines-orange

does anyone know where near millennia that suntrust is moving? that's gotta be one heck of a large building! i wonder what the loss of all of those people will do to downtown's daytime economy (i.e. foodservice).

Edited by slapdash09

There is a thread dedicated to this project here. It's kind of confusing to follow all of the news about this project because it has had 4 different names in its relatively brief lifespan-- 100 W Livingston, The Place, SkyTowers and now Sky City.

as far as the housing slump, I think it's just leveling off. I think for years, central florida real estate was undervalued, we were due for an overall increase. We needed things to slow down to weed out the speculators and the folks not in it for the long run. No way could the region sustain that kind of increase...it wasn't good for business in the sense that housing costs were outpacing salaries.

That said, my company, an A&E firm, is seeing things pick up in the resort sector, which I think is a very good sign. Guess that's the silver lining of the dollar slumping overseas.

Were the 'slump' confined to CF, or even just Florida in general, I might agree that this is just a leveling off. However, the issues with the US currency (I'm leaving for the UK and Germany next week and am dealing with 1:2 dollar:pound ratio and 1:1.5 dollar:euro), the bubble of speculators and most of all (but related) the sub-prime mortgages all make me believe this more than a leveling off. CF would have to level off for at over a decade, maybe 2 to get back to around a 5% growth rate trend for the past 5 years.

http://ml-implode.com/

http://www.thehousingbubbleblog.com

I think there is just too much housing right now, at least of some types. I have seen numbers but don't know how accurate they are. Supposedly we've got 3% more homes than families, but then are people moving back in with the parents now? Generally people have smaller families now but bigger houses, maybe we've got some more spreading out to do.

Edited by neon9

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines

Stir of activity may signal start of new high-rise

Posted May 17, 2007

Little is certain in commercial real estate development, where big announcements are often followed by dead silence and for-sale signs. But the equipment recently plopped on the big lot at the corner of North Orange Avenue and Marks Street suggests that a twin, 35-story apartment tower complex may be moving closer to reality. GDC Properties has begun soil testing there, the first step on the long path to construction. GDC says it is still fine-tuning plans for the project, which it previously said would include 476 apartments.

Were the 'slump' confined to CF, or even just Florida in general, I might agree that this is just a leveling off. However, the issues with the US currency (I'm leaving for the UK and Germany next week and am dealing with 1:2 dollar:pound ratio and 1:1.5 dollar:euro), the bubble of speculators and most of all (but related) the sub-prime mortgages all make me believe this more than a leveling off. CF would have to level off for at over a decade, maybe 2 to get back to around a 5% growth rate trend for the past 5 years.

http://ml-implode.com/

http://www.thehousingbubbleblog.com

I think there is just too much housing right now, at least of some types. I have seen numbers but don't know how accurate they are. Supposedly we've got 3% more homes than families, but then are people moving back in with the parents now? Generally people have smaller families now but bigger houses, maybe we've got some more spreading out to do.

residential is definitely in over supply. Several major A/E firms have laid off a lot of their residential folks. Land is too costly and houses aren't selling. But it's cyclical. The money's already been made in SF residential...developers are moving onto other things.

Big project designed to lure medical professionals

A Baldwin Park-like 'Health Village' would include both homes and shops.

Florida Hospital plans to nearly double the size of its Orlando campus, building apartments to attract hard-to-recruit workers and expanding south into the shopping district dubbed Antique Row.