Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

That steel is sure going up in one heck of a hurry.

FilmMaker: I have no idea who owns it, but call Gelock. They took it down, and it's sitting right across the street from their place on Market Ave (by the big Power Plant).

I was torn as to whether to put this in the Children's Hospital thread or this one. Oh well.

353114364_56bd76a500_b.jpg

Second terrace covering has been added. They're really moving on that steel. I forgot how much faster steel is than concrete.

353114372_c730f955ab_b.jpg

Alright, there's a good chance I've just never noticed it...but I think there's a NEW tower crane at the Medical Towers project. There are now 3 - 1 for the cancer center and 2 for the towers (the newest one being further west of the other 2). It has a black base so it really stands out. I looked back at some pictures in this thread and never saw more than 2 tower cranes in a picture...but the fact that no one else has posted this is making me think it's been there for a while and I've just missed it.

Alright, there's a good chance I've just never noticed it...but I think there's a NEW tower crane at the Medical Towers project. There are now 3 - 1 for the cancer center and 2 for the towers (the newest one being further west of the other 2). It has a black base so it really stands out. I looked back at some pictures in this thread and never saw more than 2 tower cranes in a picture...but the fact that no one else has posted this is making me think it's been there for a while and I've just missed it.

Ha, you're getting to be like me beergeek. I'm having trouble keeping up with the rapid changes going on with the different construction sites. Here was a picture I took back in November. They moved the crane from ICON over to the West tower site:

303613543_3d84e4caa7_b.jpg

Overheard some construction workers talking today...yet another crane will be brought in next Tuesday to finish demo of the parking ramp.

Nice! I'll slide this one over here. The building in the background is NOT the children's hospital (for those visitors unfamiliar with the construction site).

353114364_56bd76a500_b.jpg

Ha, you're getting to be like me beergeek. I'm having trouble keeping up with the rapid changes going on with the different construction sites.

Guess that's a good problem to have in GR. Deep down inside I knew it must not be new because no one had posted on it. Guess it was approaching the construction site from the west that made it stand out (I live & work east of the construction site). Thanks pops! ;)

Just imagine when the shiny new cancer center is sitting next to it. I actually wished bad things upon this building years ago. I'm glad to see it is coming down soon(ish). :)

Joe

How tall will the building structure itself be. Not the spire 318'.

I have noticed that all of Spectrum exterior rendering links have

been removed from there web site.

How tall will the building structure itself be. Not the spire 318'.

I have noticed that all of Spectrum exterior rendering links have

been removed from there web site.

I have the hard-copy of the E-packet from back in September that has some detailed drawings of the elevations as well as each floor. Although the writing is too small to read, using a little extrapolation basing the needle at 318', the top of the tower looks to be about 60' shorter, or about 258'. I'm just erring a little higher.

(copied from RH thread)

I've never been able to get the e-packet to download (I constantly get error messages), but maybe you can get it to download GR8-town:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us//download...4a8f8a4b0e5.pdf

(click on 100 Michigan)

I can get through the first 10 pages, but then the plan pages crap out on me.

I have the hard-copy of the E-packet from back in September that has some detailed drawings of the elevations as well as each floor. Although the writing is too small to read, using a little extrapolation basing the needle at 318', the top of the tower looks to be about 60' shorter, or about 258'. I'm just erring a little higher.

(copied from RH thread)

I've never been able to get the e-packet to download (I constantly get error messages), but maybe you can get it to download GR8-town:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us//download...4a8f8a4b0e5.pdf

(click on 100 Michigan)

I can get through the first 10 pages, but then the plan pages crap out on me.

No luck for me ether.

Ha, you beat me to it snoogit. I just heard Geha say something about the med school and Secchia, and an announcement this week.

Secchia is an MSU graduate and active alum.

Secchia flies on the team plane a lot to away sporting events.

I really like hearing him on local sports radio pimping MSU!

Someone here may or may not be an MSU alum! :ph34r:

Med school becomes official this week

Michigan State University trustees come to downtown Grand Rapids this week to cement their plan to open a medical school on Michigan Street at Division Avenue and to name a building tower after local businessman Peter Secchia.

The building will have three towers, possibly four, and the west tower will be named after Secchia, board Trustee Donald W. Nugent said...

...Trustees late last year confirmed they were finalizing negotiations for a $70 million building at the base of the Michigan Street hill, but this week's vote makes the plan official. The site is steps away from Van Andel Institute medical research center and Spectrum Health Butterworth Campus, both financial partners in the medical school.

The college building will join medical office buildings and a parking ramp already under construction by the family of Amway founder Rich DeVos and the Christman Co.

:huh: The only picture accompanying the article is Secchia's, so hopefully this picture will look a lot clearer Thursday.

Maybe someone can clarify. Is this going to be an entirely new development just on the same property? Are they going to occupy the three to four buildings that are already proposed for that site? With all this MSU hoopla you'd think 70 million will be going to build more buildings in addition to those already proposed on that site. Now as I read that article they are merely naming the proposed building on Division and will occupy the buildings that have already been proposed.

Edited by Rizzo

Maybe they have planned on using the west end of that RDV project

all this time. Or WOODTV8 just don't know diddly.

I thought they just bought land by the Bagel Bean.

I allways wondered who was going to use all of that 700,000 sq feet at the RDV project.

I guess we know now. I also wonder if Christman sits on the board at MSU.

they may have planned this years ago.