Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

• 2 months later...

Sounds like Corewell is kicking around plans to build another tower along Michigan Street. Something about plans being drawn up on the lot that is currently a "staging area" for construction? Sounded like the lot across from the new ambulatory care center. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sounds like Corewell is kicking around plans to build another tower along Michigan Street. Something about plans being drawn up on the lot that is currently a "staging area" for construction? Sounded like the lot across from the new ambulatory care center. 

Not the old soccer field east of the new ramp off Lyon by chance?

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

That was my first guess.  Didn't someone (could have been you Cookin) say they were looking at building a new ER there?

On another note, just build one tall tower, dammit!  24 stories plus and we'll think about renaming Michigan St. "The Corewell mile on Corewell St."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Could be. The person who told me knows someone who works in a design firm working on the plans. Just said "current staging area." 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonesey said:

That was my first guess.  Didn't someone (could have been you Cookin) say they were looking at building a new ER there?

On another note, just build one tall tower, dammit!  24 stories plus and we'll think about renaming Michigan St. "The Corewell mile on Corewell St."

Seriously. Even better; build a tower that has housing above the offices that caters to employees. Or even ground floor retail to activate the street level more.

Seriously, happy to hear about another tower, but think outside the 11 story box 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Seriously. Even better; build a tower that has housing above the offices that caters to employees. Or even ground floor retail to activate the street level more.

Seriously, happy to hear about another tower, but think outside the 11 story box 

I honestly hope that they will look to the badly underdeveloped land they inherited from Spectrum from the SE corner of Lafayette and Michigan down to almost College. That old auto garage is STILL just sitting there on the corner of  Lafayette and Michigan, and it frankly looks embarrassing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I keep saying they should add housing to their developments, would be an awesome way to attract and retain talent with the massive shortages, but what do I know?

3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I honestly hope that they will look to the badly underdeveloped land they inherited from Spectrum from the SE corner of Lafayette and Michigan down to almost College. That old auto garage is STILL just sitting there on the corner of  Lafayette and Michigan, and it frankly looks embarrassing.

I would love to see that developed, I'm sure it will eventually.  I think if it is a new ER they would want it to easily connect to the other buildings, it wouldn't be impossible 

Even from a financial perspective, wouldn't it be way more cost effective to build a large (tall) building rather than a much of stubs?

5 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I agree with this, and frankly I'd prioritize it over height.

Use the strong demand for housing and medical space to build 4-10 story mixed use all the way out to Fuller. And connect it all with high capacity transit.

• Like 2

It does sound like this new "tower" is on this site. The old GRCC field. Someone who works for GRCC confirmed the rumor to me yesterday. And that it's "huge" (their words). 

Must be more than just a new ER. 

Again, all third hand knowledge and I haven't found anything online yet. 

image.thumb.png.56730c865c288de8d10f4a10a7b9d71b.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It does sound like this new "tower" is on this site. The old GRCC field. Someone who works for GRCC confirmed the rumor to me yesterday. And that it's "huge" (their words). 

Huh, that's a disappointment [that it is not on Michigan].  I wonder how they will handle the step-down to the two-story residential on Claremont?  The east side of Claremont is within the historic preservation district. I imagine that is something people and the commissions may get particular about.  If it truly is "huge" it will be interesting to see how it's hugeness is positioned and designed.

Michigan St would be cool, but I'm ok with this going right here.  It makes sense with all the parking they just added.  Michigan St. will get built up eventually.  I was curious so I looked at some of the largest hospitals in the U.S.  and Butterworth is #11 by bed count.  Also saw a couple of the larger hospitals are adding some very large buildings (St Louis and B-more IIRC).  This would add to the skyline at almost any height.  I'm guessing parking will be a part of it, because... Corewell, but please for the love of god include housing or additional office/retail.  My guess is it would be all medical and probably not include Priority, consolidation of their offices seems like a low... priority (sorry)

• Like 1

This may be a rare one for me, but I'm, going to have to say that the traffic and noise complaints from residents from such a building being there may actually be justifiable. Lyon simply cannot handle all of the people that would be going to this location + GRCC students + the ambulances that use Barclay.  Lyon being a one-way alone will make everyday a traffic nightmare.

I can only assume traffic concerns is why Crescent was closed off.

Corewell will either have to scale whatever they have planned back quite a bit. Definitely no office tower

48 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This may be a rare one for me, but I'm, going to have to say that the traffic and noise complaints from residents from such a building being there may actually be justifiable. Lyon simply cannot handle all of the people that would be going to this location + GRCC students + the ambulances that use Barclay.  Lyon being a one-way alone will make everyday a traffic nightmare.

Corewell will either have to scale whatever they have planned back quite a bit. Definitely no office tower

I doubt the "tower"  would take up the whole site, because that would be a massive footprint. Probably half building half parking, attached to the hospital via skywalk. 

Of course, all just spitballing/armchair developers. lol. 

54 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I think Corewell will get whatever they want. But if they planned a tower, they should have incorporated the ramp they are finishing up with air rights. And build the ER across the street with several floors of housing.