Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he is portugese, isn't he? it would sort of fit in with many of our neighbors over the border...

He's from Bristol County, MA (NB FR?). There was actually a flirtation with him opening up shop here. Rumor has it, one of the early plans for RISDs 15West called for a restaurant on the top (12th) floor and he was on the short list of chefs to try to get here to run it.

[LJ's] don't look open yet but a quick perusal of their new space says that they should be opening soon.

This looks like a good move on their part. I don't think I've seen people more antsy and excited about any other East Side restaurant opening since I've arrived here almost two years ago.

- Garris

Maybe this doesn't have much to do with the food, but a bathroom can certainly make or break a dining experience. On that note, Hemenway's - this is for real - is a finalist in the contest to name America's best restroom. Go vote for Rhody now! <ahttp://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emojis_1f44d' alt=':thumbsup:'> (via BoingBoing)

Providence Prime: Federal Hill

------------------------------------

I went here recently and quickly wanted to report back. For such a small city, we have a goodly number of steakhouses... Capital Grille, XO, 10, Prov Prime, and they all couldn't be more different. This isn't counting other establishments that do great steak as well (Mill's Tavern comes to mind)...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I recently went to a Ruth's Chris chain with my parents while visiting them in New York State. It was what you'd expect, a cavernously sized upscale restaurant grafted onto a Hilton Hotel sitting in the middle of a sea of surface parking off a highway in a suburb. Ghastly. That said, it was probably the most perfectly cooked and perfectly tasting steak I'd had since the one I fondly remember from Peter Luger in Brooklyn in 2000.

The 14 oz New York Sirloin I had at Providence Prime, while decent and very expertly cooked, just wasn't nearly as flavorful or luxuriant as the Ruth's Chris one. Here's my Prov Prime breakdown:

Pros:

- Slick "Goodfellows meets NYC hip" decor...

- Wonderful service by the wait staff couldn't have been any better...

- Decent range of salad and appetizer choices

- Good sides. My salad was fresh and wonderful.

- When fully packed, has a good buzz about the place...

Cons:

- My steak was average, and my friends agreed theirs was likewise...

- Sounds silly, but we all thought the chairs were low and the table was high... We all felt like we were 5 years old at the children's table at a party...

- That good buzz might be too loud for some (I didn't mind it)

Overall, I really enjoyed the dinner, far more than I thought I would. I once read that great steaks are bought and not cooked. It's all about suppliers and meat selection. And for this reason, even the best place may be inconsistent, having great meat one week, only average selection the next.

The best steak I've had in Providence was at Mill's Tavern (although, when I had a steak there several months later, it wasn't nearly as good, so it's hard to say).

My rankings of Providence's best steakhouse based on my experience (and I think they're all very good overall) is as follows:

1) 10 Steak and Sushi

2) Capital Grille

3) Providence Prime

4) XO

Any other thoughts?

- Garris

For such a small city, we have a goodly number of steakhouses... Capital Grille, XO, 10, Prov Prime, and they all couldn't be more different.

I believe the Hilton is to feature a steakhouse, though I could be misremembering that.

Pros:

- Slick "Goodfellows meets NYC hip" decor...

- Wonderful service by the wait staff couldn't have been any better...

- Decent range of salad and appetizer choices

- Good sides. My salad was fresh and wonderful.

- When fully packed, has a good buzz about the place...

Cons:

- My steak was average, and my friends agreed theirs was likewise...

- Sounds silly, but we all thought the chairs were low and the table was high... We all felt like we were 5 years old at the children's table at a party...

- That good buzz might be too loud for some (I didn't mind it)

being italian, i need to correct you on one thing... that's "Goodfellas" :P

one thing i hate about some restaurants is low chairs. that's the worst. i'm not particularly tall at 5'8" and the girlfriend is 5'2". low chairs and high tables are not a silly thing to dislike. it makes for a relatively uncomfortable dining experience...

I believe the Hilton is to feature a steakhouse, though I could be misremembering that.

I believe you're right... Don Shula's Steakhouse chain, if I recall correctly... Supposedly, for a chain, it's pretty good, and I'm sure it'll be a hit amongst the hotel/convention crowd.

Also, while I'm not the biggest chain fan in the world, given Shula's restaurant's sports link, it's perfect to sit across the street from the Dunk. Unless a Red Sox legend wants to open a restaurant there, this (or Michael Jordan's Steakhouse) is probably the best thing to place across from the updated arena...

one thing i hate about some restaurants is low chairs. that's the worst. i'm not particularly tall at 5'8" and the girlfriend is 5'2". low chairs and high tables are not a silly thing to dislike. it makes for a relatively uncomfortable dining experience..

I'm about 5'9", and I agree that the low chairs can be uncomfortable. Looking around the restaurant that night, I almost expected to see a plaque saying, "Official restaurant of the Rochester Big and Tall Men's Clothing Chain." :)

- Garris

this (or Michael Jordan's Steakhouse) is probably the best thing to place across from the updated arena...

i've never eaten there, but i know many people who have on many occasions... the michael jordan's in mohegan sun is supposed to be very good. they've got 2 different "restaurants" there. there's the steakhouse and the sports bar. i am pretty sure the sports bar serves almost (if not exactly) the same menu as the steakhouse.

went to union station yesterday for lunch around 1:30. i was somewhat disappointed by the place. the beer was pretty good (i got their porter), but the food selection was lacking. a brewery that only had 2 burgers on their menu and no sandwiches?!?! it was also fairly expensive. they seemed to only have one menu, a dinner menu. i didn't want a whole meal, i wanted lunch. guess you gotta go their only if you feel like spending some money. not a good place for lunch in my opinion.

In reply to a post on the excellent Chowhound.com boards (originally asking about Asian options in Providence), I decided to update and repost my own personal "Best of Metro-Providence" dining awards there and cross-post it here. The opinions are, of course, my own, but I'd love to hear other suggestions! Here's my list!

- Garris

* = best of the category

Chinese (Authentic):

--------------------

* Lucky Garden: Smith St., N. Providence.

Best Dim Sum and best authentic Chinese menu options. The only negative is its dim, depressing strip plaza setting.

- Red Ginger: Johnston, RI

Very fresh and high quality food. Order out of the back (authentic Chinese) part of the menu or ask for the authentic takeout menu.

- Lemi' BBQ: Pontiac Ave, Cranston/Providence

Authentic Hong Kong cuisine. Freshness seemed to take a bit of a hit in my last visit or two, knocking them off the top of this category.

Chinese (Americanized):

-----------------------

* Little Chopsticks: Smith St. Providence

Super tasty Americanized-Taiwanese cuisine. Don't imagine what the kitchen looks like... Say hi to Lee!

- Red Ginger: Johnston, RI

In addition to great authentic, if you must have Americanized options, they do them better than most.

Honorable Mention: China Inn, Pawtucket: Not as good as the above, but doesn't deserve to get lumped in with the rest of the area's mediocrity.

Thai:

-----

* Sawaddee: Hope St, Providence

Very tasty, and menu is packed full of rarer, more authentic options. Specials are always interesting. Take-out quantity could be increased a bit...

- Thai Star: Smith St, Providence

Ask for the Thai menu with more authentic options. Nearly as good as Sawaddee, but cheaper.

Pakarang (Main St, Providence) is more "Thai-lite" fusion... Tired in concept and execution.

Pan-Asian (4 cuisine, Thai, Cambodian, Chinese, Vietnamese):

------------------------------------------------------------

* Apsara: Public St., Providence

They own this category and win by overwhelmishing freshness and comprehensive menu options. Avoid their chinese options. That shouldn't be why you're here. Be careful in the less than confidence inspiring neighborhood...

- Apsara Palace: Hope St, Providence,

Not related to (or nearly as good as) the above one, but good enough as the East Side neighborhood choice.

- HON (House of Noodles): Cranston

- Galaxie: 1 or 2 different locales

Asian Fusion (upscale):

------------------------------

* Neath's: South Main, Providence

See below. One of Providence's top three restaurants.

- Lot 401: Hospital St, Providence

This club/restaurant is always fun, always original, always tasty, and always expensive.

Japanese:

---------

* Tokyo: Wickenden St., Providence

In a sea of not-that-difference Prov Japanese options, they have fresh fish and the most extensive menu of any of the Providence options. The biggest negative is indifferent service.

* Haruki East: Wayland Ave, Providence

A tie. This slick, upscale East Side option in Wayland Square will never be accused of having the most original rolls or the most extensive menu, but it's probably the best overall dining experience of the bunch.

- Sakura: Wickenden St., Providence

Newly expanded, I'm beginning to agree with those who've knocked it down a peg due to freshness...

Honorable Mentions: In the next tier down are the family run affairs of New Japan (Washington St., Providence) and Ran Zen (Hope St., Providence), both of which are more intimate dining experiences that are worthy if you live in or are visiting those neighborhoods.

Korean:

-------

* Sun and Moon: Warren Ave, East Providence

My winner for "best comfort food in the Providence metro," and I'm not Korean. This hole-in-the-wall always feels warm, inviting, and the food is tremendous. Named by a national magazine recently as one of only two restaurants (the other being the mighty Mill's Tavern) they recommended in Providence.

- Cafe Yuni: Wickenden St, Providence

Tucked off of Wickenden facing Atler's Hardware, this nearly invisible Korean-Japanese hybrid is an intimate, family run affair with very tasty menu options. Very reasonably priced. One of my favorite "stealth options"

Honorable Mention: Because it's the only other Korean I know in Providence is Angelrose Cafe, a somewhat Korean inspired lunch place on Atwell's avenue. Not bad...

Haven't yet been too: Ichiban, a large Korean-Japanese restaurant in Cranston that those who know the cuisine say is pretty good.

Indian:

-------

* Bombay Club: Federal Hill, Dean St., Providence

Tremendously tasty Indian that those who know the cuisine say is the most authentic. Service on my visits has been spotty and inconsistent at best...

- Not Just Snacks: Hope St.,

Mostly takeout Indian, but very authentic and very inexpensive. Some say this is the best, actually...

- Taste of India: Wickenden, Providence

Almost right up there with Bombay Club, it undoubtedly has the best daily lunch buffet. Atmosphere is an afterthought (or any thought?).

- Kabob and Curry: Thayer St., Providence.

Somewhat watered down for US tastes, but amazing and attentive service gets this mentioned.

I'd avoid "India" (Hope St, Providence) if you're looking for authentic, but it's a quite tasty Indian-Western fusion...

My overall "Best of Providence":

--------------------------------

* Gracies: Washington St, Providence

All the meals I've had there were simply wonderful, and the new space feels suitably "Theater District" and special. A paragon of quality over quantity.

- Gatehouse: Richman Square/Wayland Square.

Special meals in a special Providence environment. Outstanding.

- Mill's Tavern:

North Main St, nearly flawless... What else can you say?

- Neath's: South Water St.

See below in Asian fusion. The ambiance is slightly bland for the price, but the food sparkles. My favorite of the list just based on menu alone.

Italian: A zillion choices and I've only been to a small fraction (and haven't been that impressed). My fav's thus far are:

--------

* Restaurante Pizzico: Hope St, Providence

Expensive but very, very good. One of my favorites.

- Restaurante Romanza: Wickenden

- Rachel's Pastanova: Hope St, Providence

Not the best meals I've had, but some combo of the food, homey neighborhood ambiance, etc keeps bringing me back

Steakhouses: We're blessed with a couple, here are the best

------------

* Capital Grille: Memorial Drive, Providence

Not quite as good as the two best steaks I've ever had (Ruth's Chris and Peter Luger), but the city's best. A true steakhouse atmosphere...

- 10 Steak and Sushi: Pine St, Providence

Slick "atmosphere over food" NYC style eatery nevertheless has great steaks...

- Providence Prime: Atwell's Ave, Providence

The Godfather meets NYC slick atmosphere, steaks are done pretty well...

Honorable Mention: XO is a 10 Steak and Sushi style eatery that does decently but doesn't feel like a steakhouse, while Mill's Tavern it should be noted does fantastic steak as well, although it's far from all they do...

Brunch: Tons of good options, here are my favorites...

-------

* Julian's: Broadway, Providence

Slick, hip restaurant has a relentlessly creative brunch menu that happens to be out-of-this-world taste wise... Worth the 45 minutes you'll spend in line...

* Rue de L'Espoir: Hope St, Providence

The opposite of Julian's, and just as fabulous. A classical, perfect bistro brunch option.

- Modern Diner: East St, Pawtucket

The 50's diner preserved, without theme or sentamentality. Thankfully, the food is wonderful and prices low.

Pizza: Hugely personal choices, but here are mine

------

Best all around: Pizza Pie-er: Wickenden, Providence

Slightly more expensive than most, but pies are large and easily Providence's tastiest and most original.

Best classical options: Fellini's Pizza: Wickenden, Providence

Nearly perfect classical pizza.

Honorable mentions: Caserta (Spruce St, Providence) is a local institution, and if you like Neopolitan style pizza (I'm neutral on it), it can't be beat. Sicilias's (Atwell's, Providence) is the best Chicago style pizza in the area (another style I'm neutral on). Bob and Timmy's is the thin crust king (another style I say, "eh" to...). Everyone has their favorite. I've tried lots of pizza around here and as far as I'm concerned, there is no true New York Style pizza to be had in Providence. Not Fellini's, not the place near Providence College (sorry, I forgot the name), nothing... I'm from New York, just had pizza back there recently... There's no NY style pizza in Providence...

Vegetarian:

------------

* Garden Grille: East St/End of Blackstone, Prov/Pawtucket

The only vege I know, but so good that it draws both vege and non-vege eaters. I'm addicted to the Vege Rubin sandwich...

Jewish/Bagels:

--------------

* Kaplan's: Hope St., Providence

Good for basic ingredients (lox, bagels, whitefish salad, etc.). It's a takeout market.

- Barney's: East St, On the Pawtucket/Providence border, next to Garden Grille

Best bagels in the Providence area bar none...

- Bagel Goumet: Prov, Thayer and Brook branches

Second to the above two for bagels, and maddeningly inconsistent at that...

Ice Cream:

----------

* Maximillians: Hope St., Providence

Not much to say. Uncomplicated, fresh ice cream. My favorite...

- Ben and Jerry's/Coldstone Creamery: Chains on Thayer, about what you'd expect.

- Gray's Ice Cream: Located about 45 minutes away in Little Compton, RI, it's worth the drive. I can still taste their cheesecake ice cream.

We're pretty fortunate ice cream-wise... I've not had bad ice cream in this area. There are also good, cheap creameries in Riverside, Rumford, and North Providence as well.

Portugese:

----------

I'm not as knowledgable on this one, but I've enjoyed almost everywhere I've gone in East Providence (Madiera, etc) but don't know enough to annoint a "best of."

Spanish:

--------

- Spain: Reservoir Ave, Cranston

Not much competition here, but thankfully Spain is excellent!

BBQ: Also, not very knowledgable here, but these are my favorites

-----

* LJ's: Opening about March 17th on East St at the Pawtucket/Prov border

- Wes's: Providence

This is what I can think of off the top of my head. So many great restaurants (Twist and Red Stripe in Wayland Square alone, to say nothing of Downcity, Bravo, Cafe Nuovo, Cilantro, and so many others) don't even get mentioned in this format! I don't have a best Vietnamese option yet since I really know almost nothing about the cuisine. Enjoy!

- Garris

Pizza: Hugely personal choices, but here are mine

------

Best all around: Pizza Pie-er: Wickenden, Providence

Slightly more expensive than most, but pies are large and easily Providence's tastiest and most original.

Best classical options: Fellini's Pizza: Wickenden, Providence

Nearly perfect classical pizza.

Honorable mentions: Caserta (Spruce St, Providence) is a local institution, and if you like Neopolitan style pizza (I'm neutral on it), it can't be beat. Sicilias's (Atwell's, Providence) is the best Chicago style pizza in the area (another style I'm neutral on). Bob and Timmy's is the thin crust king (another style I say, "eh" to...). Everyone has their favorite. I've tried lots of pizza around here and as far as I'm concerned, there is no true New York Style pizza to be had in Providence. Not Fellini's, not the place near Providence College (sorry, I forgot the name), nothing... I'm from New York, just had pizza back there recently... There's no NY style pizza in Providence...

caserta's is hardly neopolitan... neopolitan is generally thinner... what you'd see more in NY or new haven.

pizza pie-er was one of the greasiest pizzas i've ever had. i felt like i was slurping it up. it tasted fine, but the grease was just too much for me (and i generally don't mind a greasy pizza).

fellini's was really good, and i thought the whole wheat crust was a nice touch.

rocco's is the place by PC... the guy used to have a place in NYC. their pizza has actually gone downhill recently and has been extremely inconsistent. i haven't been overly happy with it lately. when he first opened, it was the best pizza i've had in RI.

let's add another style... greek pizza... my vote is minerva's on angell st in providence.

one thing i must say... providence has decent pizza... something boston really lacks.

one thing i must say... providence has decent pizza... something boston really lacks...

Agreed. I haven't been anywhere in Boston I'd want to return to... Would Fellini's be your "best of" choice?

rocco's is the place by PC... the guy used to have a place in NYC. their pizza has actually gone downhill recently and has been extremely inconsistent. i haven't been overly happy with it lately. when he first opened, it was the best pizza i've had in RI.

Yup, that's the name! After hearing a lot about it and making the drive from the East Side, I have to say I was hugely disappointed...

let's add another style... greek pizza... my vote is minerva's on angell st in providence.

Greek style is another I'm not thrilled with, and I'm not thrilled with Minerva in general. I've had waaay better Greek pizza in the past. I don't like Minerva's small pies, flakey crust, and near zero-taste sauce. This is really too bad, since Minerva is virtually a stone's throw from my condo. If I liked them more, I'd be there every week. Also, they don't sell by the slice...

- Garris

Agreed. I haven't been anywhere in Boston I'd want to return to... Would Fellini's be your "best of" choice?

Yup, that's the name! After hearing a lot about it and making the drive from the East Side, I have to say I was hugely disappointed...

Greek style is another I'm not thrilled with, and I'm not thrilled with Minerva in general. I've had waaay better Greek pizza in the past. I don't like Minerva's small pies, flakey crust, and near zero-taste sauce. This is really too bad, since Minerva is virtually a stone's throw from my condo. If I liked them more, I'd be there every week. Also, they don't sell by the slice...

- Garris

i've only had fellini's once, so i can't really say, but it was one of the better ones. growing up and living near new haven, i tend to be a pretty tough judge of pizza. fellini's is somewhere i'd go back to.

rocco's was my favorite, but since this past summer, they have gotten a bit more inconsistent and the quality has gone downhill. i think i would attribute that to the fact that the guy who owns and runs it overworks himself. he's always there and they're open for lunch and until 1am every night i think. they're open 7 days a week and their business is booming. i think he's got too much on his plate and can't handle it all himself. so either he hired someone new to help out who doesn't do a good job, or he's trying to do too much himself and needs to hire someone. when they first opened, they were the best i've had in providence, hands down.

i like greek pizza. there's a place in guilford, ct that does a really good one, better than minerva's. i've never had anything but the classic greek pizza there, so i think i missed the sauce. the flaky crust is good, makes it almost like a spinach pie.

back to caserta's... i've had it a couple times now. i've heard it described as a donut with cheese and sauce (maybe that was here that i read that?). their sauce is something like i've never had before. i'm not a big thick crust fan, but their sauce is some of the best pizza sauce i've had. i'm not a fan of their lack of options though (although it's reminiscent of sally's in new haven).

Archived