University Commons

ILoveCallingNCHome

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made it to B.S. (;)) mall 2day and noticed they still had temporary signs hanging everywhere. The mall itself seemed relatively healthy. There weren't many vacancies. My friend and I were going to eat at the food court until we noticed the only open place there was Panda Inn and Chick Fil A was closed so we settled for the Sonic down Church St. I noticed a banner saying something like "What type of stores would you like to see at this mall" and they listed stores like Dillards, Gap, Express....I thought that was odd. There were alot of people there though....I hope the mall survives. I probably won't make it there again for another year so keep me updated people!

• 2 weeks later...

more new tennants announced:

six restaurants: Carrabba's Italian Grill, Olive Garden, Red Robin, Red Lobster, Qdoba and Coldstone Creamery.

and these stores:

Sportsman's Warehouse, Lenscrafters, Kay Jewelers, accessories store Icing, Sunglass Hut, mattress store Select Comfort and Lee Spa Nails.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...84&hbx=e_du

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think we will see a hotel or 2 pop up at that interchange, probably within the Alamance Crossing shopping center. It would be awesome if the shopping center had a residential component, as well. The explosive growth of Elon Univ could definitely support it.

It's inevitable that hotels will pop up at that interchange.

A car dealership is going up near the intersection of U. Drive/Grand Oaks Blvd, and Huffman Mill Rd. across the street from the hospital. The first request for this dealer was denied, then appealed. It, however, was not the Toyota dealership that got rejected twice.

It was rejected. The city coucil didn't want University Drive to become a "dealership row" similar to Wendover Av. This was definitely a smart move.

Recently (correct me if im wrong) there was a change to the west Burlington land use plan that now allows the whole area to the southeast of the Huffman Mill Road interchange to go heavy commercial. I wouldn't be suprised to see a new Wal-Mart (hate it or love it), Sam's Club, Kohls, Hhgregg/Circuit City, and other retail.

they are still doing tons of land work. they recently leveled off a bunch of earth along university blvd. looks like they are prepping for sidewalks. they may actually be starting on some foundation work in the more interior portion of the site but it's hard to tell from the perimeter.

The BS Mall corridor, IMO... is really the center of west Burlington and is on a very heavily traveled corridor in town. Also, BS and AC are only probably 1 mile from each other. Thus, even if BS's days as a mall are coming to an end, the property is "Prime" (no pun intended) for redevelopment. Hopefully we won't be disappointed. I would like to see K-Mart demolished and International Drive which runs on the west side of BS connected to Boone Station Drive. That way, AC's main thoroughfare would run from U Drive at U Commons to S Church Street at BS Mall.

The Boone Station/International Drive connection is a great idea bl. Heres a stretch (and you know I like to make them bl) 1)Demolish BS Mall and rebuild it as a mixed use center (a pseudo downtown for West Burlington). 2) Make Huffman Mill rd and the surrounding neighborhood pedestrian friendly with sidewalks, crosswalks, and a landscaped median to replace the center lane atleast from Church Street to Forestdale Drive. 3) Eliminate most of the driveways along Huffman Mill Rd. Since Sears and K-Mart will be left go ahead and demolish both and replace them with Sears Grand.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived