University Commons

ILoveCallingNCHome

Wal-Mart already owns land to build a new one on the west side of Burlington. Their lease it up in two years on the land they are on now. They often will buy land in anticipation of a move-making decisions later concerning specifics. My husband works part time at the West side Burlington Wal-Mart. This is what he has been told.

Personally-I doubt, even if they moved that it would leave a big box empty for long. With Alamance Crossing stretching to Garden Rd, a business would surely see that empty box as a prime location for something. It is just too small for a Wal-Mart anymore for reasons given already (lack of tire center, lack of gas station, lack of a decent garden center (I hate this time of year when they put it all out in the parking lot) etc)

Thanks I knew I had heard something about this at one point. Costco or BJ's Warehouse could fill that spot easily. The land on Huffman mill at the Intersection of Univeristy Drive or Behind BP would be a nice area for relocation. That Wal-Mart is one of the oldest things on Huffman Mill It was one of the first developments along with the shopping center it came with. Tthey tend to move out to new areas when they fill the building is dated or can't be expanded. Plus Alamance County's other two Wal-Marts will be local examples of how dated that Wal-Mart is. I wish their was a pinned area for Alamance County development.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wal-Mart already owns land to build a new one on the west side of Burlington. Their lease it up in two years on the land they are on now. They often will buy land in anticipation of a move-making decisions later concerning specifics. My husband works part time at the West side Burlington Wal-Mart. This is what he has been told.

Personally-I doubt, even if they moved that it would leave a big box empty for long. With Alamance Crossing stretching to Garden Rd, a business would surely see that empty box as a prime location for something. It is just too small for a Wal-Mart anymore for reasons given already (lack of tire center, lack of gas station, lack of a decent garden center (I hate this time of year when they put it all out in the parking lot) etc)

How old is the Huffman Mill Wal-Mart?

Thanks I knew I had heard something about this at one point. Costco or BJ's Warehouse could fill that spot easily. The land on Huffman mill at the Intersection of Univeristy Drive or Behind BP would be a nice area for relocation. That Wal-Mart is one of the oldest things on Huffman Mill It was one of the first developments along with the shopping center it came with. Tthey tend to move out to new areas when they fill the building is dated or can't be expanded. Plus Alamance County's other two Wal-Marts will be local examples of how dated that Wal-Mart is. I wish their was a pinned area for Alamance County development.

Good point, the warehouse clubs could easily fill the Wal-Mart if they vacate that location.

The original Wal-Mart was built around the 1989-1990 time frame. The Supercenter was added in 96ish. The other strips of stores around the Wal-Mart were also built some time after the original was done.

How old is the Huffman Mill Wal-Mart?

Good point, the warehouse clubs could easily fill the Wal-Mart if they vacate that location.

• 3 weeks later...

CBL Properties has finally posted an updated rendering of Alamance Crossing on their website. It's totally different from previous ones. The view posted looks south towards I-85/40. You can also see the new 4-lane thoroughfare that will serve the shopping center right under where the interstate runs. No word on retailers yet, but this thing will be huge!

http://www.cblproperties.com/cbl.nsf/Devel...7E?opendocument

CBL Properties has finally posted an updated rendering of Alamance Crossing on their website. It's totally different from previous ones. The view posted looks south towards I-85/40. You can also see the new 4-lane thoroughfare that will serve the shopping center right under where the interstate runs. No word on retailers yet, but this thing will be huge!

http://www.cblproperties.com/cbl.nsf/Devel...7E?opendocument

It's definitely worth the wait....I'm glad to see they have finally updated that site. Wow 1,000,000+ sq ft in retail in just 3 years (University Commons + Alamance Crossing) The new 4 lane thoroughfare will run directly into University Commons. St. Marks Church road is scheduled to be relocated during some point of development and the area is just getting started. I'm glad to see this as opposed to the the traditional strip shooping center. This will be the fifth largest retail center in the Triad behind (Hanes Mall, Four Seasons, and The Friendly Centre and Oak Hallow).

Aerial Photo

West is in the direction of the top of the picture.

You can see the University Drive interchange at the top left and I-85/40 just south of the proposed shopping center. The picture was taken at too low of a height to see University Commons, but it is just west and slightly north of this shopping center. Land has now been cleared all the way to the intersection of St. Marks Church Rd. and University Drive.

Alamance East

This phase is expected to be completed by August 2007. The thoroughfare designed to serve the new shopping center will link Garden Road and University Drive once completed. St. Marks Church Road will be realigned (once again), so that you get direct access to the shopping center from U Drive. Unfortunately, the fronts of buildings do not face the lake!!

Overall Site Plan

Completed shopping center.

NO WORD ON RETAILERS YET!! :angry:

Lone Star steakhouse will be next restaurant coming to the University Drive corridor in Burlington. It will be located right off of the 40E/85N exit ramp just south of the interstate. Looks like the access to the restaurant looks to be coming from Danbrook Rd. which also accesses Mackintosh on the Lake. If you look at the Aerial Photo posted earlier, there is an area of cleared land at the top left of the picture just left of the exit ramp showing where the restaurant will be located in proximity to the new shopping center.

Archived