University Commons

ILoveCallingNCHome

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah..typical..but for Burlington its a major development...people won't have to drive to G'boro or Triangle area for those stores.

I just saw yesterday on Univeristy Drive, signs for a new development at the intersection of Unvi. and Church St. (70). The billboard said Shoppes at Waterford or something like that....it had a picture of a Lowe's Grocery Store in the center and then smaller shops around it.

The land is now a wetlands area....

Does Burlington have any land use zoning/ plans...at this rate it will Wendover part 2.

Agreed... definitely major for Burlington. There are plans in place to slow/restrict growth in that corridor. The last shopping center in the current boom will be Burlington Station to be built at the corner of U. drive and Rural Retreat... in fact, it was after this was proposed that restrictions on growth along that corridor were approved.

yeah..typical..but for Burlington its a major development...people won't have to drive to G'boro or Triangle area for those stores.

I just saw yesterday on Univeristy Drive, signs for a new development at the intersection of Unvi. and Church St. (70). The billboard said Shoppes at Waterford or something like that....it had a picture of a Lowe's Grocery Store in the center and then smaller shops around it.

The land is now a wetlands area....

Does Burlington have any land use zoning/ plans...at this rate it will Wendover part 2.

I think there should be another interchange to the west that would utilize the hunger for development in West Burlington along I40/85. In fact, I think the rest stop area should be demolished and redeveloped for commercial purposes.

I am scratching my head at that suggestion. :unsure:

I saw that sign last weekend too. I had heard it was coming-but this was the first I had seen the sign. I know Gibsonville is concerned about that Lowes being built on that particular corner as Lowes Foods is the only grocery store actually in the town limits of Gibsonville. The town doesnt want to see it close. (yes there are several good ones w/in driving distance, but that does little for the several people without cars that walk everywhere they go in Gibsonville-including walking to get groceries)

I am scratching my head at that suggestion. :unsure:

I saw that sign last weekend too. I had heard it was coming-but this was the first I had seen the sign. I know Gibsonville is concerned about that Lowes being built on that particular corner as Lowes Foods is the only grocery store actually in the town limits of Gibsonville. The town doesnt want to see it close. (yes there are several good ones w/in driving distance, but that does little for the several people without cars that walk everywhere they go in Gibsonville-including walking to get groceries)

I really hope Lowes Foods keeps their Gibsonville store too, but who knows.. I know they're trying to "become more upscale" to compete with HT (who is planning a store near Macintosh) and they [Lowes] might ditch that store in Gibsonville for a newer bigger one..

I really hope Lowes Foods keeps their Gibsonville store too, but who knows.. I know they're trying to "become more upscale" to compete with HT (who is planning a store near Macintosh) and they [Lowes] might ditch that store in Gibsonville for a newer bigger one..

I believe they'll keep it. Gibsonville is projected to double its population by 2010. Plus there are alot developments taking place on the northeast and northwest sides of town. Also there is a push for a major downtown revitilization planning to take place there.

I always thought Kohl's would join this new shopping center and Belk would stay at BS Mall
When I saw how prominent the site is for the new mall, and factored in Dillard's coming to town, I think that Belk would be risking irrelevance by not participating.

I believe they'll keep it. Gibsonville is projected to double its population by 2010. Plus there are alot developments taking place on the northeast and northwest sides of town. Also there is a push for a major downtown revitilization planning to take place there.

But I've also seen articles that show the Town Leaders concerned about the possiblity of it leaving, so I think it is a definate possibility that Gibsonville might be without it's own grocery store. Lowes bought out Byrds -that is how they ended up there...and I dont see them being so vested in the area to remain. They have their bottom line to consider-and Gibsonville definately is no one's idea of upscale.

I've read their suggestions for revitalization-a good while back...and many of the ideas are great-but Gibsonville is not a town of deep pockets. It is going to be slow going at best to see any of these plans and ideas pan out. Gibsonville's population doubling w/in the next 4 years would surprise me...I dont see it. (that would be adding 3-4000 additional people here)

One of the main downtown businesses has moved out of the downtown area and into their own shopping center on 70, near springwood. Boone Furniture was a mainstay in Gibsonville. It is still worth the visit to go to them, but was sad to see them move from downtown.

When I saw how prominent the site is for the new mall, and factored in Dillard's coming to town, I think that Belk would be risking irrelevance by not participating.

I agree.

If Kohls doesn't come to the first part of Alamance Crossing, I believe they'll come to the second. I know my aunt who is a supervisor at the Battleground Av location in Greensboro has informed me of the company doing some recruiting for the new Burlington location.

If Kohls doesn't come to the first part of Alamance Crossing, I believe they'll come to the second. I know my aunt who is a supervisor at the Battleground Av location in Greensboro has informed me of the company doing some recruiting for the new Burlington location.

yeah i forgot about the second part... thanks for the info!

To repeat, I would like to see another interchange along I40/85 in western Alamance, extreme eastern Guilford. I think the potential for commercial and residential development there is incredible.

I'd like to wait to see how all the development on this new interchange at University Drive pans out before we go into considering more interchanges. The last thing Alamance County, Burlington, Elon, Gibsonville, Whitsett etc need is another "West Wendover" type situation. There is already way more development going on at this interchange that already exists than my wildest dreams imagined when we moved out here 14 years ago....back when it was all rural and farmland ...and quite. Im enjoying the variety of the new places to shop and eat, but I also do not want this area exploited either.

I'd like to wait to see how all the development on this new interchange at University Drive pans out before we go into considering more interchanges. The last thing Alamance County, Burlington, Elon, Gibsonville, Whitsett etc need is another "West Wendover" type situation. There is already way more development going on at this interchange that already exists than my wildest dreams imagined when we moved out here 14 years ago....back when it was all rural and farmland ...and quite. Im enjoying the variety of the new places to shop and eat, but I also do not want this area exploited either.

Amen. Wendover II is the LAST thing we need.

Personally, I think east Burlington needs more revitalization than just a super Wal-Mart. The N. Church Street corridor looks tired and dated when compared to the more fresh look of S. Church Street west of City Park. Ideally, the area needs a thoroughfare connecting N. Church St on that end directly to I-85/40. Businesses and homes would have to be razed for that to occur of course. I live in Gibsonville near Elon and love what's going on in west Burlington, but I have to wonder why city leaders push the west Burlington area so much when downtown and east Burlington seemingly haven't even been given a chance. I think they have potential with Elon Univ being as close to downtown Burlington as I-85/40, U Commons, etc.

There is an existing overpass over 85/40 which is Springwood Church Rd. It serves the new homes in that area, the new park, and leads right into the heart of Gibsonville. It also intersects Hwy. 70 and nearly parallels the county line. Reconstructing this overpass into an interchange seems valid and useful IMO. It would help divert traffic from Westbrook Ave and U Drive for those wanting to head to the interstate. There are also rumors about a thoroughfare being constructed to connect Whitsett Park Rd to Rural Retreat in Burlington. This would connect the explosion of homes at Springwood Park to the U Commons area. It would definitely open up prime land for more residential and commercial growth.... even a new school which both eastern Guilford and western Alamance counties both need!

To repeat, I would like to see another interchange along I40/85 in western Alamance, extreme eastern Guilford. I think the potential for commercial and residential development there is incredible.

good idea, bl. any pics of this overpass? my memory is failing me as to recollecting it.

I am probably being naive, but I don't think city officials actually "push" one area for growth over other areas, especially outside the center city. I just think these things sort of randomly happen or happen because of things like road access, water and sewer availability, and proximity to employment. I think once the ball starts rolling, each new development propels the next one, and so on and so on.

There is an existing overpass over 85/40 which is Springwood Church Rd. It serves the new homes in that area, the new park, and leads right into the heart of Gibsonville. It also intersects Hwy. 70 and nearly parallels the county line. Reconstructing this overpass into an interchange seems valid and useful IMO. It would help divert traffic from Westbrook Ave and U Drive for those wanting to head to the interstate. There are also rumors about a thoroughfare being constructed to connect Whitsett Park Rd to Rural Retreat in Burlington. This would connect the explosion of homes at Springwood Park to the U Commons area. It would definitely open up prime land for more residential and commercial growth.... even a new school which both eastern Guilford and western Alamance counties both need!

I don't think that you'd see them taking that overpass and giving it ramps. (at least not any time soon) There is nothing there being built but housing. (and no real need for the area to be built up with a shopping center in addition to what is being built out there) There is an old church at the end of springwood and another business across the street from there. The new ballpark is across the street (as are some new condos/Townhomes. It isn't a hard drive to in one direction or the other to reach the interstate from there (either the hwy 61 interchange or the university drive one) I have delivered phone books throughout the area and know it well. There are plans to build a new school in the Macintosh on the Lake area from what I've read. I still think that both Guilford and Alamance Counties and the Cities and Towns involved in the development really need to take time in approving more of anything (housing/retail etc) to insure the area is developed sensibly and is not exploited. I think before they approve more housing and retail, they need to make sure that the infrastructure in that area can support what is coming BEFORE it comes, not after.

Archived