Centennial Tower

eandslee

OK, OK...settle down there little guy. We don't know what will happen with Centennial just yet because there hasn't been a formal announcement. What you hear on this site is just mere speculation. Who knows, there could be announcement that Centennial will be 40 stories...either way, let's just be patient. If Richmond continues to grow like it is now, I believe that it is inevitable that there will be taller towers in Richmond, so let's just chill out just a bit, OK? Let's not get frustrated, though it is easy to want to. OK?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like to throw water on you High-risers, but I have reservations about a tall tower. Richmond has a very unique, dense skyline, and IMO, one tall tower might throw it all out of scale.

I'm of two minds on the subject. :dontknow:

I can't really elaborate, but the project is moving along as planned and on schedule. There haven't been any delays... when it was announced, they said work wouldn't begin until 2007 with completion in 2009....

The architect is baskervill. CBRE is handling the office leasing for the project.

The original rendering was only a vision, so it's possible the design can still change considerably, including opting for one larger tower instead of two.

:thumbsup:

God I hope so.

And exactly Burt, that is why we can't have a 60 story building here at least by itself. Plus it would help not to have the taller ones scattered. I still think the site that Dominion is sitting on could make a nice really tall one not stand out since the Federal Reserve sits so far ahead of most of the buildings. Centennial's in a good location to be big. It would probably help others step up especially in some of the empty blocks or half blocks nearby. Heck we can still tear down some ugly stuff too.

You are bad, Bad, BAD! How can you just do that??? :dontknow: At least tell us if what you know (that you cannot say more about) is very good, so-so, or not good...and are we going to see freakin' steel soon for goodness sakes????

They are still in predevelopment phase, but from what I've heard, the prognosis is good to very good. I don't think they have settled on a final height or number of towers. Also, they didn't plan on breaking ground until 2007... and that's been from the start. Steel will rise in 2007. Demo work should probably start by the end of this year, but it takes a while to get all the building/demo permits submitted and approved etc etc etc.

Cam, when you say the site "Dominion is sitting on," do you mean the irregular shaped parcel to the east of their tower? Or do you mean the actual Dominion block?

Tall towers are nice, but I think the key to it all is what happens on street level. I'd take density and great street level interaction over a tower with height but little pedestrian scale at ground level. It's what is closest to the ground that will improve Richmond the most. :thumbsup:

If a really tall tower should ever be constructed, I nominate The Thalhimer Hole in the Ground on Broad between 6th and 7th as the site. It is about the highest geological elevation downtown, and a well designed structure could really make a statement. :)

Want a curve ball?

There's a proposal to establish the Fifth and Main Historic District.... the buildings that Goodstein owns are to be included.

you can find more info on the Virginia Dept of Historic Resources site. Just came across this stuff today.

How do we get to that? Is there a link?

Cam, when you say the site "Dominion is sitting on," do you mean the irregular shaped parcel to the east of their tower? Or do you mean the actual Dominion block?

Tall towers are nice, but I think the key to it all is what happens on street level. I'd take density and great street level interaction over a tower with height but little pedestrian scale at ground level. It's what is closest to the ground that will improve Richmond the most. :thumbsup:

The little triangular block.

And we can have our cake and eat it too... what's the point of having a cake and not being able to eat it... I like my cake. So with that said.. nothing's stopping us from having both street-level stuff and something artistic and breaks our ceiling.

Here's a link to the proposal that was submitted to the National Registry:

Fifth and Main Historic District proposal

It's a large .PDF file so if you don't have highspeed, it might take a while to see it.

For you Joey, here's a link to the FAQs about this kind of stuff... feel free to peruse the rest of the website as well:

DHR of Va FAQs

Basically, for all we know, Goodstein could be behind this using it to be eligible for historic tax credits for their new development. I thought it was worth mentioning in any case though. It also might help clear up confusion about the Miller and Rhoads building and the restrictions placed on its conversion.

You know if someone does interfear with Centennial Towers and it gets called off then you know thats when I start to say Richmond has no hope in any category. Because you know everyday when I read about Richmond its always something negative about it. It always makes me on to use the threat of moving out of the state since I always feel like Richmond has no hope and for the past month or so I have heard nothing good about Richmond and I begin to think that Richmond will never gain anything. I was reading over on RCW that Richmond can't even support a concert at the coliseum and that makes me sad to think that Richmond can't support anything including the R-braves or any sporting event and it just makes me mad. I know this was way off topic but I really wish someone can make richmond one of the best in every category but if it never does then I might as well move out of the state since theirs really no Major City in VA.

You know if someone does interfear with Centennial Towers and it gets called off then you know thats when I start to say Richmond has no hope in any category. Because you know everyday when I read about Richmond its always something negative about it. It always makes me on to use the threat of moving out of the state since I always feel like Richmond has no hope and for the past month or so I have heard nothing good about Richmond and I begin to think that Richmond will never gain anything. I was reading over on RCW that Richmond can't even support a concert at the coliseum and that makes me sad to think that Richmond can't support anything including the R-braves or any sporting event and it just makes me mad. I know this was way off topic but I really wish someone can make richmond one of the best in every category but if it never does then I might as well move out of the state since theirs really no Major City in VA.

No city is "the best" in every category. And this one project does not make or break the city. And what makes a major city? I tend to think of Hampton Roads as a whole our major city. Besides, I despise major cities (like DC, Philly, and New York), I would rather see Richmond not among them as only bigger problems arise. But being a major city doesn't mean things are handed to you and that everything is possible.

Richmond is a city of indifference. We don't just go for any and everything, nor should we or any city. If it floats, it floats and if it sinks it sinks. No one really cares as long as it doesn't interfere with personal lives. But I'm not worried about Centennial not being built. I'm not excited over the projects, but I don't think it's dead or will be. It's just not THE landmark we've been waiting for.

Cadeho I understand but I just wish that attendance in alot of the entertainment Venues like the coliseum and the Diamond would come up like it used to be but now both of those two venues are both having poor attendance and I would really like to see that happen. But I was reading about centennial when it first came out since I still have the RTD from that day and it stated that Centennial was going to have 515,000 SF at first but now it says 485,000 SF from what Vdogg or someone on here was saying. Whats this all about? have they actually made it smaller. My guess is that no one really knows what their gonna do with it. I'm sure you all have discussed this before but I feel like their not really sure what their gonna do.

Joey I think you're getting too worked up over something. Did you ever read the FAQs about Historic Districts on the link I provided on the previous page?

And another thing... you can't believe everything you hear in the newspaper, especially when it comes to economic development and new projects. Gotta take it with a grain of salt. And just because you don't hear about a project in the press doesn't mean it isn't progressing. Trust me.

Accually nothing about the centinnial towers plans have changed yet. We are still waiting. So stop getting all worked up.

Plus also Richmond's doing very well other then the county of Henrico which shooting are going on in the oddest of placers. and Richmond is A CITY what do you expect Richmond to be like the SUBURBS of a small town in the mountians cut off from everything, and everyone nearly a homogeneus no It's a City not a suburb. Plus Richmond a capital city giviung it more action like a major city, So your going to see things go wrong.

Richmond's had some great new the past month, Crime is down, Neighborhoods are safer, less junkies are on the street, more people are going to college, the city communicating with it's area, population in downtown is bombing and I know this because I live there.

The county of Henrico which hates it's own city is doing bad this month just really one thing good happend and that was last night.

Here's the bad teens dying in crashes almost all from the same school and, shootings, after shootings, after shooting. I'ved lived in the ghetto and we got on average 3 shootings a year most of the time no one got shot and they where spreed out months apart months apart not day's in the suburbs it's days apart that really scares me so look at your own neighborhood and self and change stuff then sitting around talking about somethings that moving and trying to do bussiness then sitting around waiting r bussines to come to you.

I called and a very nice lady in Marketing says that plans are still on and that demolition of one of the buildings is anticipated soon. She said conflicting marketing reports led to the reduction to 485,000 s/f (from 515,000 s/f), but subsequent turn around in the commercial market has improved. If I understood her correctly, architectual plans have not been significantly altered; two towers are still envisioned but they are not likely to go higher than 25 stories.

The Historic business apparently has no bearing on plans.

I warned her that she'd probably be getting lots of calls from skyscraper freaks and she laughed.

Thanks JWCJ for the number.

well thats good to hear guess we will just have to wait a little longer on a new tallest lets hope the James Center can pull out a new tallest or the Foundry Park development that none of us have heard on yet other than that small part on the Fed Parking Deck their going to build. But I still am waiting for a new tallest lets just hope that it comes soon. But I am still very glad now on Centennial since i have finally found out that their are no dramatic changes right now. You know I'd rather see it stay at 25 than to have a dramatic change in it. Because I look at Baltimore and I say they don't have many very tall buildings yet and still have the greatest retail out of any city in my opinion. In a few minutes I will upload my Baltimore picks and I think you all will find some of the retail pretty impressive in terms of being Urban.

It will be a while before you hear anything about Foundry Park and the James Center folks weren't planning anything very tall (30+) that I'm aware of.

I never thought for a moment that the Historic District proposal would too adversely affect Centennial Towers. Like I said before, for all we know, they could have pushed it as a way to tap into very helpful (financially) historic tax credits.

• 3 weeks later...

Richmond Mag's Best and Worst edition is out... on the inside of the front cover Goodstein has a full page ad for their properties.

Some updates:

CBRE is handling the office space, which will be "smart" office

Hometown Realty is handling the residential portion

It will include parking, fitness center/club/pool, and a 'rooftop deck'

Also, under the rendering, it specifically states that the rendering is merely conceptual and that they are in the planning stage.

Archived