Florida or North Carolina?

Fruit Cove

Which state do you prefer more than the other?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Which state do you prefer more than the other?

• Florida
    • North Carolina

It was Florida State... and they suck... It's back to the glory years in the Swamp this year... GO GATORS!!!!! Oh yeah... and Florida is gonna ROLL over the Tide this year... in Bama too...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we shall see. I think Bama is the sleeper this year in the SEC. I think it will be a great game anyway you slice it.

Did you see this:

http://www.fanblogs.com/florida_state/005549.php

Looks like a classic ACC/SEC match up.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida. North Carolina seems a lot plainer. Florida has a culture, climate, and feel unlike any other state, but someone could blindfold me and take me to North Carolina and I wouldn't know where the heck I was. North Carolina is a great state though, but when I look at all the categories, Florida Wins.

Our Top Cities (FL)

Florida-15,982,378

Metro Population (MSA)

Miami ...........................5,007,564

Jacksonville.....................1,122,750

Orlando...........................1,800,000

Tampa ...........................2,600,000

Tallahassee......................331,655

Pensacola.........................455,000

Ft. Myers..........................514,295

Florida Cities at a glance...

9 Major Sports Franachises

3 of the next 5 Superbowls

Orange Bowl, Outback Bowl, Citrus Bowl, Gator Bowl

Florida/Georiga Game

18 MLB Spring Training Centers

2 Major NASCAR Races

Kennedy Space Center

Walt Disney World Resort Complex

Universal Resort Complex

South Beach Historic District

Ybor City Historic District

18 Cities over 100,000 residents.

5 Metro areas over 1,000,000

59 Colleges and Universites

Thats just a start, I dont have enough time to put everything I know into this post. But its really so comparison.

Maybe you didn't have time to see that Florida's violent crime rate is also more than twice that of NC. In fact it is the 2nd worst in the USA. Throwing down a few numbers then making the brash statement "there isn't any comparison" can work both ways.

The question isn't about statistics but why you prefer one state over the other. Anyone can pick statistics that make their pick look good on paper which has been done endlessly in this thread. Explaining why you like the place is another matter.

I love to visit the mountains... in the summer. I do not enjoy cold weather, prefer the milder climates and have visited the FL panhandle (Destin) beaches all my life. Add WDW and Universal (we take family trips down every couple of years) to the package and I had to choose FL.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to give this one to Florida, even if they don't have mountains (that's what GA is for ;)).

Georgia has mountains? Don't be offended, but I thought they were more like BIG HILLS - like the one's we have near here in western Massachusetts and Vermont. Nice but not the mountains of NC / TN.

I like visiting Florida - wouldn't mind living there at all! Here's my criteria: a change of seasons (with a very short, mild, winter but some snow) + major universities/college towns + access to exciting, growing, cities with rail transit (existing or u/c) + easy access to mountains (skiing) + large lakes + easy access to sub-tropical beaches + close (3 - 4 hours driving time) of a variety of large cities + affordability + job growth + active Smart Growth policies + open-mindedness.

Virginia and North Carolina come closest to filling my bill...if I get the courage to MOVE!!!!!!!!!

Georgia has mountains? Don't be offended, but I thought they were more like BIG HILLS - like the one's we have near here in western Massachusetts and Vermont. Nice but not the mountains of NC / TN.

I like visiting Florida - wouldn't mind living there at all! Here's my criteria: a change of seasons (with a very short, mild, winter but some snow) + major universities/college towns + access to exciting, growing, cities with rail transit (existing or u/c) + easy access to mountains (skiing) + large lakes + easy access to sub-tropical beaches + close (3 - 4 hours driving time) of a variety of large cities + affordability + job growth + active Smart Growth policies + open-mindedness.

Virginia and North Carolina come closest to filling my bill...if I get the courage to MOVE!!!!!!!!!

No offense taken & I myself have stated I prefer the mountains of NC & TN. Comparably though - if GA mountains are just 'hills', then that would be the case for all of the Appalachins, as the only difference being is a few 1000 feet.

After visiting the Rockies & Cascades, I would agree in general that the Appalachins are mere hills.

No offense taken & I myself have stated I prefer the mountains of NC & TN. Comparably though - if GA mountains are just 'hills', then that would be the case for all of the Appalachins, as the only difference being is a few 1000 feet.

After visiting the Rockies & Cascades, I would agree in general that the Appalachins are mere hills.

To clear up some things on the Mountains of the East. When you talk about the mountains of the east, you are talking about mountains that are about two different mountain chains. The Appalachians and the Laurentian Mountains. Even though the Adirondacks are considered part of the Appalachians, they are geologically different and are part of the Laurentians.

In NC and TN, we have the Unaka Ranges which include the Black Mountains and the Smokey Mountains. These are the two highest ranges of the Appalachians with numerous mountains higher than 6000'. Mount Mitchell is the highest peak east of the Mississippi. On three states east of the Mississippi have peaks over 6000', the other a single mountain in the White Mountains of New Hampshire called Mount Washington. It is part of the Laurentians.

The Appalachians are about 350 million years older than the Rockies. They have worn down a lot more over the years. They are not a spectacular as the Rockies, but they are vary interesting in their own right.

Many people would be surprised to learn that NC also has an even older mountain range in the eastern part of the state, the Uwharrie mountain range. This is the oldest mountain range in North America and has been there for 500 million years. At one time this range has 20,000 ft peaks but over the hundreds of millions of years have worn down to about 1000 ft elevation. While 1000 ft does not sound like much, they are impressive in that they sit in a relatively flat area so they are more dramatic than they otherwise would be.

Thankfully it is a National Forest these days and part of it has some old growth hardwoods.

Another piece of triviality. One of the very few forests in NA that has never been logged, and looks much like it did when european settlers came to North American in the first place is the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest in the extreme western part of NC. It is a difficult forest to get to, but it is well worth the trip in order to see North America as it looked 500 years ago. It is surreal looking with the huge trees, that are hundreds of years old.

^ Home of course to - Morrow Mountain, where my sister got hitched by her soon to be ex.

Similiarly the Kings Mt chain in Gaston (NC) & York (SC) counties are additionally ancient. Whereas the newest chain of course is the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee.

That is why it's hard for me to pick between TN & NC regarding mountains, though my sentimental favorite is in the Pisgah forest, I also marvel at the steep linear ridge of Cumberland.

Many people would be surprised to learn that NC also has an even older mountain range in the eastern part of the state, the Uwharrie mountain range. This is the oldest mountain range in North America and has been there for 500 million years. At one time this range has 20,000 ft peaks but over the hundreds of millions of years have worn down to about 1000 ft elevation. While 1000 ft does not sound like much, they are impressive in that they sit in a relatively flat area so they are more dramatic than they otherwise would be.

Thankfully it is a National Forest these days and part of it has some old growth hardwoods.

Another piece of triviality. One of the very few forests in NA that has never been logged, and looks much like it did when european settlers came to North American in the first place is the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest in the extreme western part of NC. It is a difficult forest to get to, but it is well worth the trip in order to see North America as it looked 500 years ago. It is surreal looking with the huge trees, that are hundreds of years old.

Very interesting. How far is this from the cities?

^ Home of course to - Morrow Mountain, where my sister got hitched by her soon to be ex.

Similiarly the Kings Mt chain in Gaston (NC) & York (SC) counties are additionally ancient. Whereas the newest chain of course is the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee.

That is why it's hard for me to pick between TN & NC regarding mountains, though my sentimental favorite is in the Pisgah forest, I also marvel at the steep linear ridge of Cumberland.

Of course you know that the Pisgah National Forest got its start from the 125,000 acres sold by the George Vanderbilt Estate to the US Forestry Service in 1914 following his death. Just think, owning everything that you could see from your house.

Archived