Richmond Sports

eandslee

Your expectations are too high for inRich :lol: I've all but given up on hoping for better media in this town.

I'm sort of getting used to it, but I still can't find items that I especially like -- i.e., Building Permits and Theatre, Music and Dance calendars today.

The big changes come Tueaday when the entire paper will be revamped.

Yes Burt your correct on that. Also that Plane that landed at Richmond International Airport where they only stayed for about 45 minutes was because at that time they found out that U of Florida Coach wanted back at U of Florida. So thats why they only stayed for 45 minutes and then took off back to florida. I heard this on ESPN today and the cool thing was they mentioned RICHMOND!!!! How cool is that for ESPN to Mention Richmond!!!! haha they actually mention richmond quite often on ESPN when the Nextel Cup is in Richmond for Nascar. BTW. Has anyone seen the rendering of the Nascar Hall of Fame in Charlotte it looks amazing almost makes me wish that we got the Hall of Fame still.

• 2 weeks later...

The RBraves have won one lost one against the Red Sox affiliate. And take a look at the attendance figures up in Yankee land compared to the meager crowds at the Diamond -- 9000+ night before last, and over 10,000 last night in Pawtucket.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/baseb...06-16-0168.html

I feel your pain, burt. I've been to two R-Braves games at the Diamond, all against the Pawtucket Red Sox. I now understand why the attendance figures at the Diamond are lower as compared to the other ballparks around Triple-A:

Number one, the Diamond is set way off from the population center, and few people live around the stadium. The population center of Richmond is around Shockoe Bottom and eastern Richmond.

Number two, the Diamond lacks the amenities of a modern ballpark. I've been to Norfolk Tides games, and their attendance is around 6,000-7,000 a game because the Tides put in more stuff for the children and adults. I didn't see any of those at the Diamond, plus the bleacher seats need to go. I know it was built in 1985 but it lacks the real seats that the other ballparks have around AAA.

ODUMonarch your right about the amenities of the Ballpark but beleive it or not but most of the population that goes to the Diamond comes from Henrico, Chesterfield and Hanover and even more parts of the state. I know a friend of mine that lives in Stafford County came down here a couple weeks ago to watch the R-Braves play. Plus I see out of state cars all the time at the R-Braves games.

I feel your pain, burt. I've been to two R-Braves games at the Diamond, all against the Pawtucket Red Sox. I now understand why the attendance figures at the Diamond are lower as compared to the other ballparks around Triple-A:

Number one, the Diamond is set way off from the population center, and few people live around the stadium. The population center of Richmond is around Shockoe Bottom and eastern Richmond.

Number two, the Diamond lacks the amenities of a modern ballpark. I've been to Norfolk Tides games, and their attendance is around 6,000-7,000 a game because the Tides put in more stuff for the children and adults. I didn't see any of those at the Diamond, plus the bleacher seats need to go. I know it was built in 1985 but it lacks the real seats that the other ballparks have around AAA.

What?! The population center in Richmond is off balance. It's in the west end, and there are thousands living within a mile of the Diamond. But the Diamond's area does need a lot of work and I think they're planning to make it better. Plus there are people who walk to the Diamond, not everyone drives. My uncle took me and my cousin to a game and we walked from near North Ave to the Diamond.

Ya alot of the R-Braves Fans come from the suburbs and from out of town visitors.

Trouble is, Joey, there are not nearly enough fans -- whether they drive, walk or arrive on donkeys.

And welcome to Richmond, odumonarch. I agree with you that a Shockoe Bottom site would have been the better answer, but I am far in the minority with that opinion on this board and accept the decision (if indeed it IS a decision) to remain at a rebuilt Diamond.

I truly believe that a falling chunk of concrete several years ago as well as the other discomforts you mention have psychologically disposed people to avoid the ball park. Even twenty years ago, eight million was a bargain basement price for a 12,000-seat stadium built during one off-season. Even so, it was the bright star of AAA parks for about 4 years and drew well.

Pawtucket, until the opening of its new ballpark, used to hover near the bottom of the attendance rankings.

Some issues MUST be under secret discussions between the region and the A-Braves. I'm beginning to wonder if negotiations are not turning on a lower classification of baseball for Richmond.

Ya I know burt Im wondering how discussions are going with the new ballpark and everything else. I also heard that if the R-Braves move out of Richmond then the Nationals AAA Team will move to Richmond. You see Norfolk was originally the Nationals 1st choice in having a Triple AAA team. But intstead Baltimore executed first and picked up Norfolk as their Triple AAA team. You see the Nationals have talked about moving there AAA affiliate closer to the DC area and have been in huge talks with Richmond as I have read from the times dispatch a few weeks ago. So be on the look out if the Braves do leave Richmond then the Nationals Triple AAA team will move to Richmond. But heres the trick is with ownership in the Nationals Triple AAA affiliate. The trick would be would the Columbus Clippers move out of Columbus OH and move to Richmond? Or would the Nationals have a Triple AAA team in Richmond under the same ownership as the braves had? So thats something that would have to be figuresd out if the Braves left and the Nationals came to town with there AAA affiliate.

Edited by Downtowner

after beating the cleveland stars the richmond kickers advance to the the 3rd round of the US Open Cup. there they will host the LA galaxy and possible (but most likely not) david beckham on July 10 at 7pm at UR stadium :w00t:

Unfortunately, Beckham won't be there; he's not due in LA until the 13th. Still, it should be a great game, with likely appearances by Landon Donovan and Cobi Jones.

ejones and Riverpirate (welcome), what soccer league claims Richmond? Didn't it recently get reduced in ranking?

Do you think it will move its games to the new U or R football stadium when it is completed on the Westhampton campus? Could Sportsbackers stadium near the Diamond be expanded with stands on the east side to accommodate The Kickers?

This story from today's inRich is about a game with Harrisburg, Pa., while you guys talk about playing Cleveland and LA. For some of us unfamiliar with soccer, it is a bit confusing.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/sport...07-01-0295.html

the Kickers used to belong to the USL First Division but i believe 2 seasons ago they dropped down to the Second Division . Although the kickers were successful in the first division they still dropped down. the soccer pyramid here in America is like this...Major League Soccer at the top of the pyramid...USL First Division...USL Second Division...then PDL or Premier Development League and USASA or United States Adult Soccer Association. The PDL and USASA are amateur leagues whereas the MLS, USL1, and the USL2 are all professional. What Riverpirate and I were talkin about was the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. This is a tournament outside of League play which puts teams from all these different leagues against one another. In the first round the Kickers played the PDL team the Michigan Bucks and went on to win 4-2. Two Weeks later the kickers played the USL2 team the Cleveland City Stars and were victorious 2-1. So the kickers are now in the 3rd round (where MLS teams first start play) and they face the LA Galaxy who are apart of the MLS. The game in which the kickers played last night was a USL2 league game. hopefully this clears things up ;)

US Open Cup Bracket

I've heard that the kickers may move to sportsbackers and I've also heard that they might move to chesterfield but i have not heard about them moving to the new U of R stadium. Although I'm not sure how credible this information really is so i really don't know. If they do move to sportsbackers im sure there is space to expand the stadium. I think it would be a smart move because at UR stadium only one side is barely full and personally it makes the experience Blah. At sportsbackers the kickers would probably sell out every game therefore making the atmosphere of the stadium better.

the Kickers used to belong to the USL First Division but i believe 2 seasons ago they dropped down to the Second Division . Although the kickers were successful in the first division they still dropped down. the soccer pyramid here in America is like this...Major League Soccer at the top of the pyramid...USL First Division...USL Second Division...then PDL or Premier Development League and USASA or United States Adult Soccer Association. The PDL and USASA are amateur leagues whereas the MLS, USL1, and the USL2 are all professional. What Riverpirate and I were talkin about was the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. This is a tournament outside of League play which puts teams from all these different leagues against one another. In the first round the Kickers played the PDL team the Michigan Bucks and went on to win 4-2. Two Weeks later the kickers played the USL2 team the Cleveland City Stars and were victorious 2-1. So the kickers are now in the 3rd round (where MLS teams first start play) and they face the LA Galaxy who are apart of the MLS. The game in which the kickers played last night was a USL2 league game. hopefully this clears things up ;)

US Open Cup Bracket

I've heard that the kickers may move to sportsbackers and I've also heard that they might move to chesterfield but i have not heard about them moving to the new U of R stadium. Although I'm not sure how credible this information really is so i really don't know. If they do move to sportsbackers im sure there is space to expand the stadium. I think it would be a smart move because at UR stadium only one side is barely full and personally it makes the experience Blah. At sportsbackers the kickers would probably sell out every game therefore making the atmosphere of the stadium better.

Whoever expands the stadium should drive down to Virginia Beach and look at the Mariners Stadium in the Princess Anne area.

Another reason to say inRich coverage is less than satisfying: If one is not familiar with the name of minor league players (and I am one), you'd be hard pressed to know who the RBraves lost to yesterday. Thankfully, there's the box at the bottom of the so-called story to let you know that the game was played in Indianapolis before 7,905 fans. Richmond, with its winning ways this season, is lucky if it attracts half that number to the Diamond.

Why cannot coverage in the online RTD be a bit more specific and helpful?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/sport...07-02-0146.html

Edited by burt