Tiers of US cities

tocoto

If we were talking only by international familiarity standards, then I would consider Atlanta to be tier 2. It is well known in the U.S., but internationally, there aren't many things that would give recognition, are there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, on the side of Every coke/sprite/fanta etc. can and on the top of every coke/sprite/fanta etc. bottle you see the Word Atlanta.

Soon It will be internationally recognized around the world for it's "World Class" Aquarium. We also held the 1996 Olympics. Theres a list more but I dont feel like writing it all.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if the forumers here find it annoying when I occasionally "flood" the boards. Like reply to almost every topic on the board and all you see on the side is "ATL4EVER". I was wondering how you guys felt about that.

can you name one other city that is recognized for it's "world class" aquarium? I doubt it.

It says Battle Creek, MI on the side of my Kellogs Mini wheats but I doubt anybody pays attention to that.

If anything Atlanta is known for the Olympic and it's Airport. Tier 2 at best.

OK

I did some reasearch and you're right, Hollywood is not really a city (it is part of LA) I stand corrected. :blush:

The world knows Disney and Kelloggs but not Orlando, Anaheim and Battle Creek (and Battle Creek is my home town) The same goes for Atlanta and Miami.

I will add Houston to my tier 1 list as the world is aware of our space program and hears astronauts speak to Earth referring to Houston i.e. "Houston we have a problem" Sorry ATL4EVER I know you'll take issue with this. Hey, Atlanta is a beautiful, friendly and great city. I respect your defence of it. It's just not tier 1

My revised list for Tier 1:

New York

Washington D.C.

Chicago

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Detroit

Houston

Bring it on!

B)

That's about right; I'm just not sure about Vegas. And I would add Miami, because it is a world class tourist destination that people from all around the world go to.

By the way, ATL4EVER, it doesn't bother me whenever you flood the forums, because it gives me something to respond to, but it's important not to respond for the sake of responding. Make sure you have something to say. I'm not saying you've done anything wrong, just make sure you don't.

Well I do it just to make my level go up, not to bother anyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that is exactly what it does. If you don't stop, I will slow you down quite a bit and I might knock off a 100 or so off your post count as well. Its called spamming and it is against our rules.

That's about right; I'm just not sure about Vegas. And I would add Miami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is fun...Love these forums

Visitors Statistics:

Total airline passengers

Vegas 2003 36,266,000 2004 41,400,000 +14% growth

Miami 2003 29,590,000 2004 31,100,000 +5% growth

International passengers

Vegas 2003 2,490,000 7% of total

Miami 2003 13,856,000 46% of total (wow) I'm impressed

My research has revealed that Miami has a huge amount of international visitors and I am humbled. I will add this fair metropolis to my list. Thanks, Cheeriokid for enlightening me.

I checked Atlanta

Well that is exactly what it does.  If you don't stop, I will slow you down quite a bit and I might knock off a 100 or so off your post count as well.  Its called spamming and it is against our rules.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will stop if it's that serious, I was just posting on every topic, but if it's against the rules I'll stop. ( PLEASE DONT KNOCK ME DOWN 100 POINTS!!!)

Ironchapman, your list is probably one of the best so far. You weren't biased and you thought of different things that would make a city important, such as transpotation and entertainment. Also, you split each tier up, which helps because there are some cities that are so close, yet are barely different, or are completely uncomparable.

So yes, I like your list a lot.

Has anyone yet listed the tiers from the book "Cities Ranked and Rated"? I don't feel like looking through all the past pages to see if any one listed the tiers from that book.

If not, the tiers listed in that book are very interesting and different than ones I've seen on past forums.

For me, it's essentially these:

1) New York City

2) Los Angeles (because of the celebrity factor, not really for anything else)

3) San Francisco (international tourist destination; Golden Gate Bridge)

4) Chicago (skyscrapers; reputation as home of big business)

5) Nashville (believe it or not, as a record dealer, I can assure you that people around the world know it).

Miami gets some play, possibly because of "Miami Vice" and the remake of "Scarface." People also know Boston, largely due to its fine colleges and universities, but I don't think it's in the top tier any longer, at least publicly.

I travel a fair amount, and that's roughly the order in which things go, in my experience.

Darren

Los Angeles is not just know for the Celebrity Factor, They are the throne of the Movie Industry, a top tourist Destination, and a highly popuilated city.

Atlanta would be before Nashville. People around the world pass through it every day.

has a multibillionollar entertainment industry, etc. etc.

The question, though, is how many international people remember Atlanta when they go through it, know its signigicance, and actually see the city itself. Most international people don't visit Atlanta all too much. I know they don't visit Nashville that much, but I have met two British ladies who were spending two weeks in the U.S. in order to get to know the country, and did so by visiting both Nashville and Las Vegas. Interesting, but hey, they had to of known Nashville beforehand in order to plan a vacation. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

That's about right; I'm just not sure about Vegas. And I would add Miami, because it is a world class tourist destination that people from all around the world go to.

By the way, ATL4EVER, it doesn't bother me whenever you flood the forums, because it gives me something to respond to, but it's important not to respond for the sake of responding. Make sure you have something to say. I'm not saying you've done anything wrong, just make sure you don't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many don't not know this, but I will throw it out there for what it is worth. Miami boasts the largest deposits of offshore clients in the entire US. THIS INCLUDES CHARLOTTE AND NYC !!! (The largest banking cities in the US). The primary reason is Latin America. I actually work alongside a wholesaler for Investment products who covers the south FL territory, and I can tell you the money that comes into the banks in Miami is insane. That is my reason for voting Miami an International Player. BTW, the main reason for such an inflow of cash is because in Latin America you are either poor or rich. There is not really any middle class. This creates a huge problem for those who fall on the wealthy side, as many gov't's in Latin America are highly unstable. (as well as their economies) Thus the inflow to "safer waters" in the US. Miami is the GATE for this money. NYC is a close 2nd though.

B)

Archived