Tiers of US cities

tocoto

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good list hudkina.  Its probably the best one that I have seen posted in this thread over the past year or so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not surprised to see you agree with the list. After all, aren't you the one who stated LA is more of a city than NYC? There are basically 3 powerhouses in this world and LA isn't one of them.

I'm not surprised to see you agree with the list.  After all, aren't you the one who stated LA is more of a city than NYC?  There are basically 3 powerhouses in this world and LA isn't one of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets see, let me look at the title of this thread, could it be. Ah yes it is Tiers of US Cities. Unless I am missing something that does not include the entire world.

LA is certainly a powerhouse in the USA economy. Certainly more powerful than Minneapolis as you would have all us believe.

Oh BTW, has the spring thaw started up there yet? :w00t:

Lets see, let me look at the title of this thread, could it be.  Ah yes it is Tiers of US Cities. Unless I am missing something that does not include the entire world.

LA is certainly a powerhouse in the USA economy.  Certainly more powerful than Minneapolis as you would have all us believe.

Oh BTW, has the spring thaw started up there yet? :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, when did I say that Minneapolis had a stronger economy than LA? Next, I know that this thread is regarding tiers of US cities. My point was that there are three powerhouses in the world. New York City happens to be one of them. Just because were talking about tiers of US cities doesn't mean LA all of a sudden lands in the same category as NYC.

Oh BTW, have y'all become the mecca for lazy, white trash people yet? Or is NASCAR still searching for a home for its HOF? :w00t:

First of all, when did I say that Minneapolis had a stronger economy than LA?  Next, I know that this thread is regarding tiers of US cities.  My point was that there are three powerhouses in the world.  New York City happens to be one of them.  Just because were talking about tiers of US cities doesn't mean LA all of a sudden lands in the same category as NYC. 

Oh BTW, have y'all become the mecca for lazy, white trash people yet?  Or is NASCAR still searching for a home for its HOF?  :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that is your opinion, but this thread is not all about you. You are going to have to get over it if you don't like some else's list. Feel free to tell the world why you think Minneapolis is a Tier 1 city. Some might find that completely fascinating. But stop arguing with others because you don't like their ranking. That is not what we are about here.

BTW the NASCAR HOF will be a $150M facility designed by IM Pei. Not something I would associate with lazy WT people as you put it. Charlotte would be very glad to host it.

Well, if they all supported NASCAR, which I highly doubt, then yes, I guess we could call them white trash.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well someone is supporting NASCAR as it has bigger television revenues of all sports now except the NFL and it is quickly catching up with that. What is the sport you have up there? Hockey. hahahaha.

White Trash is a term used by the ignorant to describe people they don't understand and for some reason feel superior too. We really don't care too much for such terms at Urban Planet.

I think hockey is cool.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I have no problem with is in the smaller and non-pro leagues. But the professional sport is definately in the wane. It needs to take a lesson from the "white trash" running NASCAR. LOL

Lets put this thread back on topic.

Twin Cities, if it's any consolation, Minneapolis and Seattle are at the very top of the Tier 4 cities, which in reality puts them much, much closer to Atlanta and Miami than say New Orleans or Orlando. However, you have to draw a line somewhere and I saw that line after Atlanta and Miami.

While it is true that Minneapolis has a lot of qualities that meet or surpass many of the Tier 3 cities, I don't think it's quite at the level of those cities. All of the Tier 3 cities have tons of Fortune 500 and 1000 companies, great universities, busy airports, diversity, etc. However, on top of that they all have millions of more people than Minneapolis. Atlanta, the least populous of the Tier 3 cities I listed has 1.2 million more people than Minneapolis.

Anyone who would not group Los Angeles, in the tier one US CITIES, needs to travel more. LA has so much more than "hollywood" in terms of corporations, and economic viability. While one may question it's rank in World cities, It's vibrance, and flair are un-parrelled by anything other than NY. It shows ignorance, and while I could almost condone, putting minne, in tier 3, along with a couple others. We must gaurd against hometown bias, making us look like fools. When we start taking cheap shots at one another, based on the regions we live in, we have then hit rock bottom and started to dig.

Grow up, everyone thinks they live in the greatest place on earth.

Except for maybe me. I live in Denver, and would very much like to live elsewhere.

I thought there was an official, accepted way to figure this out. Couldn't tell you what it is, but that is the impression I always got. I would assume that it's got to do with population.

I usually hear Pittsburgh refered to as a Tier 2 city. So I would think it is something like this:

Tier 1: NYC, LA, Chicago, San Fran, Washington DC, etc.

Tier 2: Pittsbugh, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnatti, etc.

Tier 3: Boise, Green Bay, Tacoma, etc.

It'd help if I knew more about populations, but you get the idea.

There are a bunch of factors, population being one of them. However, other things are brought up like airports, a number of forms of mass transit, pro sports leagues, etc.

It's impossible to come up with a perfect list. There's always someone out there who's gonna think that their city should be higher and someone else's should be lower.

I don't agree with this list. How can Columbus, KC, Richmond, Clevland, Lima?(Ohio?), be on the list and a city like Charlotte is not. Columbus. ehhhhh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree this list must have some weird requirements. I would think as the nations 2nd largest financial center (outside of NYC) and also one of the coutnry's largest Wholesale trading and Distribution platforms it deserves to be up a bit higher in the list. Not to mention Charlotte has more Headquartered Fortune 500 companies than all but five other U.S. cities. That is why I question the integrity of the list. If that does not make us in the same leauge as Cleveland, Denver, Richmond, of Columbus then I don't know what will. (BTW, I lived in Columbus for 6 months. I can not believe it was even listed. Outside of OS (Ohio State) I hated the weather and the downtown. Nationwide is the dominant player in dtwn development there., but what makes it world class.) This list by all accounts is wrong. I agree with the top tier cities though. :wacko:

Here is even more evidence of the reasons CLT should be higher. I am not pulling this out of the air. These are actual statistical truths.

Distribution And Transportation

Thanks to its prime location at the intersection of I-77 and I-85, as well as its manufacturing strength, Charlotte-Mecklenburg is one of the nation's leading distribution centers. The city's wholesale sales volume places Charlotte sixth on the list of U.S. markets, behind only New York, Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas and Chicago. According to Site Selection magazine, Charlotte ranks No. 5 in the nation for new and expanded distribution operations, with 192 facilities since 1990.

This is OUTSIDE of the BANKING and FINANCE powerhouse that most recognize CLT for.

What's up w/ that list.....Columbus c'mon. ;)

It seems like people are taking these lists people are making, as the word of god. Getting Rather ruffled, if a certain city isn't given as much respect as one feels it deserves. These lists aren't official, if you don't like them, they are one persons Idea , everyone cant possibly know everything, about every city, when they don't work for Fannie Mae or a government agency. I think most cities have been pretty well represented. Id Like to see more peoples opinions though.

I would very much agree that Charlotte should be in the same league as a Cleveland, or a Denver. But perhaps not as high as a Philly, or a Detroit.

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to "shortchange" any other cities, It's just the nature of the beast, I challenge someone to come up with a list that is more compact than Hudkina's perhaps without all the teirs, but with still many of the cities.

I gotta give props to my brothers down in Charlotte-town though, i've not seen anyone in this forum so vehamently go after folks when it comes to giving there city respect, well maybe the Minne folks. I admire your commitments to your cities!

Anyone who would not group Los Angeles,  in the tier one US CITIES, needs to travel more.  LA has so much more than "hollywood"  in terms of corporations,  and economic viability.  While one may question it's rank in World cities,  It's vibrance, and flair are un-parrelled by anything other than NY.  It shows ignorance,  and while I could almost condone,  putting minne, in tier 3, along with a couple others.  We must gaurd against hometown bias, making us look like fools.  When we start taking cheap shots at one another, based on the regions we live in, we have then hit rock bottom and started to dig. 

Grow up, everyone thinks they live in the greatest place on earth.

Except for maybe me.  I live in Denver, and would very much like to live elsewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You insist that people grow up just after calling someone ignorant for not placing Los Angeles in with New York City. That doesn't make any sense. Also, I don't know why you accused TC of having hometown bias when the guy is from Denver.

Well, it looks like I'm the only one left here who wants to represent the Twin Cities area so take it easy on me. :)

I wasn't refering to TC, the reason i told people to grow up, is because of the exchange that happened. Where one person was touting Nascar, as something only white trash cared about, to denegrate an area, while another person basically stated that the Cities ( minne/st. paul) were in perpetual winter. This is a forum of Ideas,

Not my city is better than your city.

Go back and re-read my post it wasnt as derogatory as it is made to sound

Archived