West Main Street Road Diet

westsider28

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Fox Carolina has a story on the upcoming West Main streetscaping.  It includes protected bike lanes, wide sidewalks, medians, more crosswalks, and some on-street parking.  They showed a portion of an engineering drawing, and I emailed the City to try to get the whole document (which, IMO, should be posted publicly on the City website).  The project should happen in early 2024.

1923803666_WMatForestss.thumb.jpg.daef96ea241c5e68563c476013544c9a.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the concept.  I also hope that the city will take into consideration that cars need to be comfortable on the road also.  By that, I  mean while I love the dedicated bike lanes on Converse Street, some of the turns are very awkward for cars much less trucks….turning right from East Main onto Converse at FBS is tough without hitting the curb or going into the oncoming lane.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hub-city said:

I like the concept.  I also hope that the city will take into consideration that cars need to be comfortable on the road also.  By that, I  mean while I love the dedicated bike lanes on Converse Street, some of the turns are very awkward for cars much less trucks….turning right from East Main onto Converse at FBS is tough without hitting the curb or going into the oncoming lane.

Doesn't bother me one bit.  Anything that forces drivers to go slower and be more careful in downtown is a positive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2023 at 1:22 PM, westsider28 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Fox Carolina has a story on the upcoming West Main streetscaping.  It includes protected bike lanes, wide sidewalks, medians, more crosswalks, and some on-street parking.  They showed a portion of an engineering drawing, and I emailed the City to try to get the whole document (which, IMO, should be posted publicly on the City website).  The project should happen in early 2024.

1923803666_WMatForestss.thumb.jpg.daef96ea241c5e68563c476013544c9a.jpg

P&C article about the project.  Not much new, but it says February 2024 for construction, and "the project has not gone out for bid, but funding for it has already been approved by City Council.”  Hopefully, the full engineering drawings will be posted on the City website when the project goes to bid.  (I haven't gotten a response to my email...)

• 3 weeks later...