Should Memphis pursue NHL or MLB??

Memphisborn

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

Just FYI for the comments about FedEx Forum not being built for hockey.

1) It was initially built from day one with the ability to host ice hockey.

2) With 300-400 million dollar renovations on tap u can certainly address the sight line issues if there are prohibitive to hockey.

3) The arena has hosted NHL once and there are no reports I’ve seen that state the sight lines were horrible for hockey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedExForum

First off, Wikipedia is not your friend. As for what you have pointed out: FedExForum was built primarily for basketball (just like Barclays Center in Brooklyn and Footprint Center in Phoenix). While it may have the capabilities to host an ice hockey game like it did one time in 2006, one side of the arena will not be able to see the entire rink, and no amount of renovations is going to resolve that.

This is what I mean when I used Barclays Center as an example. If you think any NHL team wants to play in an arena with this kind of configuration and obstructed views, then you are kidding yourself.

barclays-center-hockey.thumb.jpg.efb363a6c252dd922dc82d8aec9c4bba.jpg

Edited by James Owen

On 5/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, JTM1 said:

I had a conversation with a local figurehead in the last election and this person said, “people doubt Memphis because of its large black population, and this has even affected the decisions of some elected leaders…However, if you give Memphians something to support, and a reason to support it, they will show up and show out.” Then I was asked for my vote.

Having said that, we need to look for leadership that is aggressive and understand the more diverse the amenities the more appealing is Memphis.

Totally agree. OK if the politician is elected he/she better put their money where there mouth is. LOL. I think people understand the dynamics of the city now more than ever. I believe the city has compared itself too much to other cities for too long, as if it's not good enough. We always hear of developers appreciating what the city has to offer, but I do think there is some sense of value placed on the cities now. Memphis does need more diverse amenities, and hopefully as time goes on we'll see more of that happen. It will only add to the depth of culture that's already here.

• Like 2

I have no idea what dimensions are required for good sight lines for hockey, no idea if it’s capable at FEF, no idea how much it would cost. I have heard that the FEF renovations could be major and gutting all the seats and reformatting. 

No matter what is done at FEF and no matter what the city does, getting an NHL team is very unlikely. The person most capable of getting it done is Pera, but there’s no guarantee he could achieve it, even if it was his ultimate goal. 

What is much more achievable is is getting an ECHL franchise. There’s 28 ECHL teams and expanding to 29 next year. So, that will leave 3 NHL teams without ECHL affiliates. Predators are one of those, unless the expansion team affiliated with them. The team could reside at Landers or a renovated MSC. The league’s goal is to get to 32, so the only barrier is someone willing to put the money into it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I have no idea what dimensions are required for good sight lines for hockey, no idea if it’s capable at FEF, no idea how much it would cost. I have heard that the FEF renovations could be major and gutting all the seats and reformatting. 

No matter what is done at FEF and no matter what the city does, getting an NHL team is very unlikely. The person most capable of getting it done is Pera, but there’s no guarantee he could achieve it, even if it was his ultimate goal. 

What is much more achievable is is getting an ECHL franchise. There’s 28 ECHL teams and expanding to 29 next year. So, that will leave 3 NHL teams without ECHL affiliates. Predators are one of those, unless the expansion team affiliated with them. The team could reside at Landers or a renovated MSC. The league’s goal is to get to 32, so the only barrier is someone willing to put the money into it. 

I hear your point and I’m a definite MSC supporter. Memphis Coyotes that has a nice ring, and for those who might ask. Yes there are Coyotes in Memphis.

https://wreg.com/news/coyote-sightings-surge-in-bartlett-area/amp/

B638A6DF-84A5-4D19-B0E7-48E824819B3C.png

53558DB6-E933-4B4F-A891-D09032901201.png

Edited by Memphisborn

1 hour ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Totally agree. OK if the politician is elected he/she better put their money where there mouth is. LOL. I think people understand the dynamics of the city now more than ever. I believe the city has compared itself too much to other cities for too long, as if it's not good enough. We always hear of developers appreciating what the city has to offer, but I do think there is some sense of value placed on the cities now. Memphis does need more diverse amenities, and hopefully as time goes on we'll see more of that happen. It will only add to the depth of culture that's already here.

100 percent agree u have to give Memphians a reason to support. Yes we need more diverse activities and IMO a second Major league sports franchise. We have to stop thinking we’re the Memphis of old comparing our city to Birmingham, Atlanta, Nashville etc. we have a different dynamic now in this city and we should grow off of that dynamic. There is no doubt with the Walk (Hopefully) Sterick redo adding more foot traffic and residents also let’s not forget the edge district adding more residents to the downtown core.  Young millennials, students and professionals flock to sports events and not just basketball either. Hockey would do well with the added mix of young residents,  hotels ,Blue oval city, BealeSt entertainment, tourist etc. Memphis Coyotes! Howl ! Memphis.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:38 AM, MDC26 said:

I don't think the WNBA has named any of their expansion city finalists, but it would be a shame if Memphis isn't on there because the city put no effort into it at all.  Memphis is a great basketball city, has a very well supported NBA team, and has an All-Star/DPOY who's mother works for the WNBA-PA, and another superstar that is very vocal in supporting the WNBA.  

I hadn't thought about the renovation plans for FEF could be done in mind for having a potential hockey franchise.  I think it would require having someone like Pera or Smith with close ties to Memphis and believes in Memphis, to buy a franchise like the Coyotes, and move them to Memphis.  I find it very unlikely an outside ownership group would have Memphis at the top of their list unless someone did some very good convincing.  At the very least, I hoped for renovation of MSC for plans of getting minor league hockey and WNBA.  There are other options for a soccer stadium than tearing down MSC.  

You made a great point about WNBA. Also good point about renovated MSC. I have worked on the redevelopment project to reopen MSC. There has been conversation with city council about moving the soccer stadium to another footprint @ Liberty Park or downtown the city is committed to Liberty park as the home for 901 fc so fine. There are definitely available footprints within the park that’s available.  Council has been very amenable to the idea of preserving and redeveloping MSC.

Heres a link to a WNBA legend promoting Memphis for a WNBA franchise.

B1652945-F927-420B-8970-7AEDF9C84242.png

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 1:02 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I agree. 

On 5/27/2023 at 2:21 PM, Memphisborn said:

I hear your point and I’m a definite MSC supporter. Memphis Coyotes that has a nice ring, and for those who might ask. Yes there are Coyotes in Memphis.

https://wreg.com/news/coyote-sightings-surge-in-bartlett-area/amp/

B638A6DF-84A5-4D19-B0E7-48E824819B3C.png

53558DB6-E933-4B4F-A891-D09032901201.png

It does have a nice ring to it. It fits too. The “major” teams here are land based animals (grizz and tigers) so why not. LOL. The jerseys have a Vancouver-esque feel to it, I’d keep the green (to represent the abundance of trees in Memphis) and change the maroon. The logo has a southwest feel so that needs to be changed too. Maybe it can look like the grizz bear logo.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 4:15 PM, Memphisborn said:

You made a great point about WNBA. Also good point about renovated MSC. I have worked on the redevelopment project to reopen MSC. There has been conversation with city council about moving the soccer stadium to another footprint @ Liberty Park or downtown the city is committed to Liberty park as the home for 901 fc so fine. There are definitely available footprints within the park that’s available.  Council has been very amenable to the idea of preserving and redeveloping MSC.

There is value in saving the MSC and it’s good to know there are council members that understand it.  

I don’t understand why the city is committed to building the soccer stadium at the fairgrounds This past weekend, I attended the Nike EBYL, and the Showboats game, and the traffic was horrible to say the least. I can't imagine a football game/event in the Liberty Bowl, an event at the MSEC, and a soccer game occurring at the same time.

Just think how bad it is going to get when they build out and construct the mixed-use, housing, and lodging part of the campus. I can already see it now; parking and traffic is going to be a bigger problem once completed.

I would love it if they used the soccer stadium to be an anchor and catalyst to create another entertainment district that is centered around soccer.  

• Like 1

For another pro team (from the top 4) to land in Memphis, I think their future best bet would be NFL.

For NHL, they tend to pursue markets with a strong, built-in hockey environment with high schools and colleges. Also, since Nashville already has a super successful team, this likelihood is tiny, in terms of chances. 

For MLB, there is already a list of cities practically drooling over gaining an MLB team ahead of Memphis, so the chances of this happening are also super low, unfortunately.

For NFL, I could see this possibly happening, although the odds would be low. Memphis was already almost selected for an expansion team back in the 1990s, but they lost out by just a bit, unfortunately. I'd like to see a 2nd team in Tennessee, and a Memphis team could for sure get a ton of support.

If Memphis landed an NFL team, it would most likely be from a team moving, and Memphis offering a sweet deal.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

For another pro team (from the top 4) to land in Memphis, I think their future best bet would be NFL.

For NHL, they tend to pursue markets with a strong, built-in hockey environment with high schools and colleges. Also, since Nashville already has a super successful team, this likelihood is tiny, in terms of chances. 

For MLB, there is already a list of cities practically drooling over gaining an MLB team ahead of Memphis, so the chances of this happening are also super low, unfortunately.

For NFL, I could see this possibly happening, although the odds would be low. Memphis was already almost selected for an expansion team back in the 1990s, but they lost out by just a bit, unfortunately. I'd like to see a 2nd team in Tennessee, and a Memphis team could for sure get a ton of support.

If Memphis landed an NFL team, it would most likely be from a team moving, and Memphis offering a sweet deal.

Agreed as far as NFL by way of relocation. Would have to build a brand new stadium and house them temporarily @ LB. The Bonds on FedEx forum and Autozone park, are just about paid. Yes a sweet deal would be necessary much like Vegas and buffalo did.

On 5/27/2023 at 4:15 PM, Memphisborn said:

Anything on Central is a no go. If parking is an issue, might have to build a parking garage. WNBA would be perfect in MSC, but what other venues could be had there if FEF and Landers get all the attention?

21 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Right. On a side note, I think we should throw out the rhetoric of not being able to have whatever pro team  because we’re close to another city with a pro team. We’ve seen it done in other states (Ohio, Florida, Missouri, Texas). One of the reasons Heisley moved the Grizz here is because he was impressed with the way the Redbirds were being supported. Plus we had tons of local investors. We’ve got to be competitive. Memphis is a basketball city for sure, but football isn’t far behind. Too many Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers fans here. LOL. 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis

31 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Right. On a side note, I think we should throw out the rhetoric of not being able to have whatever pro team  because we’re close to another city with a pro team. We’ve seen it done in other states (Ohio, Florida, Missouri, Texas). One of the reasons Heisley moved the Grizz here is because he was impressed with the way the Redbirds were being supported. Plus we had tons of local investors. We’ve got to be competitive. Memphis is a basketball city for sure, but football isn’t far behind. Too many Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers fans here. LOL. 

And the crazy thing, we had two teams fighting to relocate to Memphis at the same time.  Both the Grizzlies and Hornets requested to relocate to Memphis.  The Grizzlies got the nod, and Hornets ended up relocating to New Orleans a year later.  

Memphis was a finalist two different times for NFL expansion.  In 1974, the five finalist cities were Honolulu, Memphis, Phoenix, Tampa, and Seattle.  Tampa and Seattle were awarded the new teams and 14 years later, Phoenix was able to lure the Cardinals to relocate from St louis.  In 1993, the 5 finalist cities were Memphis, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Baltimore, and St. Louis.  Jacksonville and Charlotte were chosen, and Baltimore and St Louis were able to lure the Browns and Rams for relocation.  The only other two expansion teams since then, went to Cleveland and Houston.  I don't think there were any finalists, they just awarded teams to those two cities because they felt sorry for them for losing the Browns and Oilers.  I'm sure most know the story of the Oilers playing in Memphis for a season.  While the reason the Seattle Supersonics chose OKC to relocate to was because how well they supported the Hornets when they temporarily relocated there after Hurricane Katrina, I doubt it would have made one difference if Memphis had supported the Oilers well.  The Rams and Chargers were dead set on going to LA, and the Raiders weren't going to leave the West Coast.  I don't know if the 49er's is technically a relocation since they moved from San Francisco to San Jose metro, but they still kept the San Francisco name.  Whenever the NFL expands again, it wouldn't surprise me if Memphis is in the mix, and it wouldn't surprise me if Memphis falls short again.

https://www.sports-king.com/memphis-mad-dogs-nfl-expansion-3647/

https://allsportshistory.com/2020/09/25/what-happened-to-the-houston-oilers/#:~:text=So fans in Houston couldn,they could move to Nashville.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 11:04 AM, Memphisborn said:

Agreed as far as NFL by way of relocation. Would have to build a brand new stadium and house them temporarily @ LB. The Bonds on FedEx forum and Autozone park, are just about paid. Yes a sweet deal would be necessary much like Vegas and buffalo did.

I was wondering where the money was going to come from. Question is, can we ask the state for future improvements along with the other venues when the time comes? Will there be pushback because of all the money that’ll be spent on Nashville’s stuff as well? It’ll be too much for the state to handle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I was wondering where the money was going to come from. Question is, can we ask the state for future improvements along with the other venues when the time comes? Will there be pushback because of all the money that’ll be spent on Nashville’s stuff as well? It’ll be too much for the state to handle. 

Good point have to wait and see when if that time comes. That’s honestly one reason why I like pursuing NHL. A newly renovated arena in place along with entertainment district no additional state funding just a deep pocket owner(Robert Pera) to move them to FedEx forum 

On 6/1/2023 at 2:58 PM, Memphisborn said:

Good point have to wait and see when if that time comes. That’s honestly one reason why I like pursuing NHL. A newly renovated arena in place along with entertainment district no additional state funding just a deep pocket owner(Robert Pera) to move them to FedEx forum 

NHL is pushing for Hockey first arenas.

Baseball is expensive with the farm team payrolls to support and Memphis would need a very small stadium of no more than 28 to 29 K. 

Damn Shame our sports leagues aren't ran like the EPL and other Euro Soccer leagues. Give me a 45 to 50 team NFL with two divisions and a system of relegation  and promotions 

SLC, MEM, San Antonio, AUS, Orlando, StL, Louisville,  OKC/Tulsa, Columbus, San Diego, others.

Ditto for  the NBA, 

STL,  Kansas City, Louisville/Cincy, Omaha, Seattle, others.

Edited by Wayward Memphian
  • Like 1

Just now, Wayward Memphian said:

Baseball is expensive with the farm team payrolls to support and Memohis would need a very small stadium of no more than 28 to 29 K. 

Damn Shame our sports leagues aren't ran like the EPL and other Euro Soccer leagues. Give me a 45 to 50 team NFL with two divisions and a system of relegationd and promotions 

SLC, MEM, San Antonio, AUS, Orlando, StL, Louisville,  OKC/Tulsa, Colunbus, San Diego, others.

Ditto for  the NBA, 

Yeah, I like having more cities involved.  Would grow the fanbase across the country

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2023 at 10:08 PM, Memphisborn said:

Agreed it’s definitely possible. Sterick, Crosstown, NBA we’re all impossible. We see what happened. It take a deep pocket owner(Robert Pera) and a willing City leadership. As far as corporate support goes We have that no doubt. Now could be that time Guardian the rays lease expires 2027. I say we pull the rug up under Nashville feet like they did us with the NFL. Memphis Rays !!! 

Nashville didn’t pull anything out from under the feet of Memphis. It was the right move and Nashville is a much better market and location. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 11:27 AM, Tim29tn said:

Nashville didn’t pull anything out from under the feet of Memphis. It was the right move and Nashville is a much better market and location. 

I would disagree on the better market and location. One of the reasons the NBA moved here was the central location. I believe the market for football here is untapped, and we’ve seen some local kids make it in the NFL as of late. Not just Memphis, but the region. Basketball here is king, no doubt. It could work in Nashville too, but the ties run deep here more than anything. Memphis has more of an underdog, scrappy, edgy feel to it, compared to our sister city. If Memphis did have an NFL team, I would want the whole region to feel like it’s their team too. Need everybody at the table to support. 

• Like 2

Nashville is a far superior market to Memphis for pretty much everything.  It has a rapidly growing population base and the economic development is about the fastest in the entire country.  Downtown Nashville continues to build dozens of skyscrapers so much so that the city is hardly recognizable today compared to just a few years ago.  In comparison, Memphis has a sleepy small city vibe that’s not a good fit to attract professional sports like NFL, NHL, MLB. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, Nothingspectacular said:

Nashville is a far superior market to Memphis for pretty much everything.  It has a rapidly growing population base and the economic development is about the fastest in the entire country.  Downtown Nashville continues to build dozens of skyscrapers so much so that the city is hardly recognizable today compared to just a few years ago.  In comparison, Memphis has a sleepy small city vibe that’s not a good fit to attract professional sports like NFL, NHL, MLB. 

Memphis having a sleepy small city vibe? Huh? A sleepy vibe here??

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 12:51 PM, Wayward Memphian said:

Baseball is expensive with the farm team payrolls to support and Memphis would need a very small stadium of no more than 28 to 29 K. 

Damn Shame our sports leagues aren't ran like the EPL and other Euro Soccer leagues. Give me a 45 to 50 team NFL with two divisions and a system of relegation  and promotions 

SLC, MEM, San Antonio, AUS, Orlando, StL, Louisville,  OKC/Tulsa, Columbus, San Diego, others.

Ditto for  the NBA, 

Brewers are considering moving,

The city should throw its name in the hat. Be proactive and aggressive. At least we'd know where we stand. Probably need more population here for added support. AZP doesn't look like it'll be able to expand from the looks of the Brewers stadium, but what do I know. I'd like to see what the new mayor, whoever that is, has planned for this type of stuff.

• Like 1