Orlando gained 65,000 new residents in 2022

orange87

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

is that in the MSA (Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake)?  I can't get to the article.

They don't say but it would be metro not just the city. Regardless, that is a ton of people. 

7 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Good for business, not so good for everything & everyone else. 

Better than the opposite. 

7 minutes ago, jack said:

Better than the opposite. 

Yes, it's better than losing 65,000 residents in one year, which is of course what the opposite would be.

Certainly better from an economic standpoint.

But maybe not as good or as preferable overall, as slower, steady growth would be.  

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, it's better than losing 65,000 residents in one year, which is of course what the opposite would be.

Certainly better from an economic standpoint.

But maybe not as good or as preferable overall, as slower, steady growth would be.  

Agreed. Explosive growth is generally never a good thing for individual residents, although it may be good for the region's economy and future outlook. I'm torn. On one hand, I want Orlando to be among the largest cities in the nation and improve density, walkability, urbanity, and public transit, which normally follows population growth. But on the other, the traffic and congestion and lines at random places are the worst they have ever been and QOL is suffering from where I stand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Agreed. Explosive growth is generally never a good thing for individual residents, although it may be good for the region's economy and future outlook. I'm torn. On one hand, I want Orlando to be among the largest cities in the nation and improve density, walkability, urbanity, and public transit, which normally follows population growth. But on the other, the traffic and congestion and lines at random places are the worst they have ever been and QOL is suffering from where I stand.

And of course there's the overcrowded schools which they cannot build fast enough to keep up, overcrowded jails, lack of housing, the encroachment of new housing on wilderness and wetlands, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, I'd be satisfied if Orlando remained a mid-sized city and kept as much of whatever is left of its charm as possible. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

And of course there's the overcrowded schools which they cannot build fast enough to keep up, overcrowded jails, lack of housing, the encroachment of new housing on wilderness and wetlands, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, I'd be satisfied if Orlando remained a mid-sized city and kept as much of whatever is left of its charm as possible. 

I was talking to a guy recently that moved from Lake Nona to downtown. He said as soon as they opened one of the schools out there, they were over capacity. Portables everywhere. He called them idiots that could not plan ahead. I would not say they were idiots but they do underestimate the impact of certain neighborhoods when new homes are built. The problem is the school board has a fixed fee based on the type of home built. Condos/apartments are one number. House and townhomes are another. And is the same county wide. A new home built in SE Orlando may have 3 school age kids immediately while the one in winter park may have none. Downtown Orlando apartments have 3-5 kids in the entire building, while apartments in the burbs have multiples more. 

• Like 2

Is that 65k gross or net? I was surprised to come across some youtubers saying FL is no longer the affordable "paradise" that it once was. So yeah we're gaining a lot of new residents, but I wonder what the stats are for people who can no longer afford to tough it out, so that we can get a clearer picture of actual net population growth.

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Is that 65k gross or net? I was surprised to come across some youtubers saying FL is no longer the affordable "paradise" that it once was. So yeah we're gaining a lot of new residents, but I wonder what the stats are for people who can no longer afford to tough it out, so that we can get a clearer picture of actual net population growth.

Net. Orlando metro is estimated to have gone from 2.67m to 2.76m since 2020 census. I expect some of Florida's explosive growth to slow down some but even though Orlando is definitely less affordable than it used to be, it'll continue to attract people from more expensive places just like it always has until cost of living evens out. Florida is still a bargain compared to NY and California.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Net. Orlando metro is estimated to have gone from 2.67m to 2.76m since 2020 census. I expect some of Florida's explosive growth to slow down some but even though Orlando is definitely less affordable than it used to be, it'll continue to attract people from more expensive places just like it always has until cost of living evens out. Florida is still a bargain compared to NY and California.

the key:  from MORE expensive places.  I've got a buddy in Jersey who tells me his taxes are way higher than in PB Co where they have a second house.  He's trying to transfer his business down to FLA.  

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I would like to see a yearly number showing new apartment units, condos, townhouses, and houses coming online, and compare the two sets of numbers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncommon said:

I have a good number of new neighbors who moved here because of DeSantis. Regardless of a few people here not liking him, he is attracting a ton of new residents to our area, and I don't see that slowing down until he is out.

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

It has become more unaffordable which is driving people to parts of the state that usually is more rural. Places like Osceola county are for more expensive compared to 5 years ago. Lake county as well. But as long as it cheaper than Jersey, people will keep coming. 

• Like 1

True. I remember when Winter Garden was experiencing a boom/revitalization as people began to move out of Orlando. More recently, Sanford has seen quite an increase in growth with higher end homes being constructed. Mt Dora too.

On 5/22/2023 at 10:18 AM, aent said:

I have a good number of new neighbors who moved here because of DeSantis. Regardless of a few people here not liking him, he is attracting a ton of new residents to our area, and I don't see that slowing down until he is out.

I think his big draw was his stance on how to handle the pandemic -- especially when a lot of cities were shutting down and mandating vaccines. Since then, he started wading into a lot of culture wars which turned off potential supporters, myself included. But for the most part, FL already had desirable attributes that had nothing to do with Desantis... no snow, no state tax, homestead SOH cap, etc., all of which have always been a big draw to move to FL.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I think his big draw was his stance on how to handle the pandemic -- especially when a lot of cities were shutting down and mandating vaccines. Since then, he started wading into a lot of culture wars which turned off potential supporters, myself included. But for the most part, FL already had desirable attributes that had nothing to do with Desantis... no snow, no state tax, homestead SOH cap, etc., all of which have always been a big draw to move to FL.

There's no doubt that DeSantis's amazing handling of COVID brought a TON of people to Florida. The cultural war is chasing people out of other states, and they feel comfortable that the "woke" mobs and the riots that have happened in other states are not going to happen here with how DeSantis is handling the situation. Yes, Disney's marketing of removing their special rights was probably not the smartest battle for him too choose (its too complicated IMO), there's just so many others areas where a significant portion of the country is just flat out fed up to the point they are willing to move here because of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Mine has doubled 3 years in a row. 

Our properties are three times as much for insurance 2019. 

My homeowners has doubled but I know it is going to double again this year. 

People that move here get a rude awakening that it is not as cheap as you would imagine. 

1 hour ago, jack said:

Our properties are three times as much for insurance 2019. 

My homeowners has doubled but I know it is going to double again this year. 

People that move here get a rude awakening that it is not as cheap as you would imagine. 

I'm connected to three insurance agencies, and I'm hearing that it won't get better.  Case in point, my buddy's small HOA in 2019 was paying roughly $10k for D&O, Liability and Property.  Last year it went to $17k.  This year it doubled to $35k.  Oh, and if you shop it, but already paid to bind it, they can keep 25%, so it's not even worth it.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I just got straight dropped.  (Citing the conditions for insurance in FL are not conducive to continuing to do business in the state.)  Now I'm on the hunt.

I just know also that agents only work with a handful of companies, so if you get dropped and the agen gives you lip, get another agent.

27 minutes ago, codypet said:

I got dropped and the agent hasn't said a peep to me about it.  

I messaged you

I got dropped once from an agency out in Sarasota and b/c they were lessening their portfolio of types of coverage or regions or whatever, they never reached out to offer replacement coverage.  bad agents.

Edited by jrs2

On 5/25/2023 at 4:10 PM, codypet said:

I got dropped and the agent hasn't said a peep to me about it.  

Sadly, from the stories I've heard, even if you switch companies you might eventually go through the same thing again. I've used Security First for 10+ years and will be paying $4,500+ on 1300 sq ft. Citizens came in cheaper, but they only offer 100k max liability coverage.

Used the same brokerage for over 10 years and can barely get them to respond to calls/emails now that I have to change coverage. Not sure if it's because people are so overworked that certain details are being missed, or if it's because people just show up to get a paycheck and don't give a crap. Whatever the reason, I have come across very few businesses that truly take care of customers despite rave reviews online.

Had my roof replaced a few years ago by a prominent roofing company in Orlando, and it was just one thing after another with them. I double checked their work after they finished and was left in utter shock at their poor workmanship. I have a little construction knowledge under my belt, otherwise their shoddy work would have gone unnoticed since the permit had already been signed off/closed by the City. What the roofer did would have voided the mfg warranty -- I checked with Owens Corning but the roofer said their personal warranty would cover the roof. Granted the roofing company came back and fixed the roof without any pushback, but that kind of workmanship should never have been an issue to begin with.

I just feel like the days of really knowing the ins and outs of your craft, showing pride in your specialty and taking care of the customer have gone out the window. Loyalty doesn't seem to carry much weight either.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:28 AM, nite owℓ said:

Sadly, from the stories I've heard, even if you switch companies you might eventually go through the same thing again. I've used Security First for 10+ years and will be paying $4,500+ on 1300 sq ft. Citizens came in cheaper, but they only offer 100k max liability coverage.

Used the same brokerage for over 10 years and can barely get them to respond to calls/emails now that I have to change coverage. Not sure if it's because people are so overworked that certain details are being missed, or if it's because people just show up to get a paycheck and don't give a crap. Whatever the reason, I have come across very few businesses that truly take care of customers despite rave reviews online.

Had my roof replaced a few years ago by a prominent roofing company in Orlando, and it was just one thing after another with them. I double checked their work after they finished and was left in utter shock at their poor workmanship. I have a little construction knowledge under my belt, otherwise their shoddy work would have gone unnoticed since the permit had already been signed off/closed by the City. What the roofer did would have voided the mfg warranty -- I checked with Owens Corning but the roofer said their personal warranty would cover the roof. Granted the roofing company came back and fixed the roof without any pushback, but that kind of workmanship should never have been an issue to begin with.

I just feel like the days of really knowing the ins and outs of your craft, showing pride in your specialty and taking care of the customer have gone out the window. Loyalty doesn't seem to carry much weight either.

As long as you have that Owens Corning warranty paperwork and are in their system.  You need to make sure you’re in their system to activate that warranty.  It’s a little bit of a process.