San Diego: Upcoming Projects

eastsider

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^Yes, they do look similar but the good thing is that they are in different areas of downtown.

As for the streetscape of each project, here's a description of MetroLive aka 445 West Ash taken from a downtown website:

445 West Ash LLC plans to build a 32-story mixed-use project with 82 residential units, approximately 7,000 square feet of retail space, and 22,000 square feet of office space at the southeast corner of the intersection at Columbia and Ash streets. No construction schedule has been set.

It's good to know it will include 29,000 square feet of office and retail. As you know, a purely residential tower does nothing for the street-level, daytime activity. The Mondrian project is new and not much information is known about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a quick tour of various projects under construction taken by the downtown webcams yesterday - 2/6/06

ELECTRA

electra.bmp

electra.jpg

LEGEND

legend.bmp

legend.jpg

DIAMOND VIEW TOWER

jmi4.bmp

diamview2.jpg

ARIA

aria.bmp

aria.jpg

CORTEZ BLU

cortezblue.bmp

cortezblu.jpg

VANTAGE POINT - This is taking a long time

vantage.bmp

1138809860548761.jpg

BAYVIEW AT THE EMBARCADERO

ash-render.jpg

bayview5.jpg

ICON - This sprung up overnight

icon.bmp

Icon3.jpg

LIBRARY TOWER - The site is being cleared

Newlibtow.bmp

librarytower7.jpg

PARK TERRACE

parkterrace.bmp

parkterrace5.jpg

SAPPHIRE TOWER

saph3.jpg

sapphire7.jpg

MARKET STREET VILLAGE - Includes the second full-service downtown grocery store

marketstreetvillage.bmp

marketstreet.jpg

NEXUS

nexus.bmp

nexus1.jpg

THE MARK

mark.bmp

thmark2.jpg

SMART CORNER

smartcorner2.bmp

smcorner1.jpg

Very impressive, with a lot under way, not just proposed like many projects in other cities.

No doubt, it's cool to see so many cranes in the sky right now. Here are additional construction pics to add -

HARD ROCK HOTEL

hardrock.jpg

hardrock.jpg

ALTA

ALTA-day.jpg

alta.jpg

TR PRODUCE - Office Condos above a historic warehouse

trproduce.bmp

trproduce.jpg

I was very impressed to say the least at the new rendering of Sapphire, well I should not say that. All of the sky scraers are starting to look alike in SD it is getting a little sad. I am not knocking our skyline, I love it, but all of the buildings look to me like cookie cutters. I think San Diego should have a building that will make people go "Holy Crap" who designed it (in a good way).

Awesome, another SD forumer here. I've been the only one for so long!! :)

Regarding TR Produce, you're right, it does look like more floors are being added, but it really is only 3. They're actually adding 3 floors over the top of a 2 story historic warehouse, which is why it looks taller.

Who are you talking about? I am moving to San Diego in March. (mid-end)

I was talking about you, but I thought you already lived here. :)

I love the Sapphire and the Electra looks nicer than the one going up in Miami.

Yeah, but they are much shorter than the ones going up in Miami. They are nice-looking though :)

I believe when it goes on the ballot for voting. I think everyone should go and vote to oppose it, we should move the airport inland or even to Marimar. Aren't they talking about making it civilian anyway? Also, isn't Marimar a bigger site and have a bigger runway? Someone shed some light onto me!?!

Floating airport being heavily promoted

http://www.offshoreairport.org/Home.aspx

Yes, this idea has been around for some time now, but it will never happen. San Diegans won't allow our precious resource, the beach, be disturbed with an offshore airport. I like the idea, but I know it will never fly.

I believe when it goes on the ballot for voting. I think everyone should go and vote to oppose it, we should move the airport inland or even to Marimar. Aren't they talking about making it civilian anyway? Also, isn't Marimar a bigger site and have a bigger runway? Someone shed some light onto me!?!

There's an article in today's paper that says the Navy is willing to work with the city in finding a new airport site. It doesn't say where, but at least it's a start.

I know it will never happen because the actual feasbility of the project would be little to none, but what do I know. I think that even if they were to go ahead with the project with the support of the people I know they would not close the airport in downtown because they would need it for the infamous San Diego fog everyday. That would make the project null and void and a big waste of money. I think the airport should go East of San Diego more towards El Centro area where there would be more room to put more runway space and to have a better International Airport.

I think that even if they were to go ahead with the project with the support of the people I know they would not close the airport in downtown because they would need it for the infamous San Diego fog everyday.

Actually, fog is only a problem during the late Spring and early Summer. We haven't had any foggy days for months now.

Awesome, another SD forumer here. I've been the only one for so long!! :)

You may want to consider adding a signature to the end of your profile like mine.. especially if you post in other forums. Might get more attention here in the SD forum. You are doing an awesome job though!!

Hello, I just discovered this site, and thought I might contribute a little to the discussion on upcoming projects in San Diego. Here is some info on the Maryland Hotel currently underway at the corner of 6th & F Sts:

wrk_lrg_img_maryland.jpg

Maryland%20Hotel.jpg

050801%20view%202.jpg

SB Architects is leading the effort to convert this historic hotel property in the heart of San Diego's Gaslamp District into a chic, four-star boutique hotel. The six-story structure is being completely redesigned, with the goal of creating not only a hip downtown hotel, but a social destination for local visitors as well.

An indoor/outdoor restaurant and bar will define the property's prominent corner location on the ground floor, while a more private bar and lounge at the other end of this floor will lead, via a circular stair, to a basement-level nightclub. A more private roof deck will house a pool, bar, cabanas and indoor/outdoor function area.

All of the rooms and suites are arranged to overlook either the street life below, or two interior atrium spaces -- one with an operable skylight, and one open to the sky. Most of the rooms opening onto the atriums will have balconies overlooking these private outdoor spaces.

The project is currently under construction with a projected opening in late 2006.

And here are seven views of the proposed Mondrian project located on the full block bounded by 8th & 9th, A & B Sts.:

Overall view from northwest (Vantage Pointe in background left):

view%201.jpg

Overall view from southeast:

view%202.jpg

Blowup view of southeast corner 1:

view%204.jpg

Blowup view of southeast corner 2:

view%205.jpg

Blowup view of southwest corner:

view%206.jpg

Blowup view of northwest corner:

view%207.jpg