Central Lansing Construction and Development.

RustTown

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a pretty interesting read about the new store. It must have quite the following. I like how Old Town appears to have a tight-knit community similar to traditional residential neighborhoods of the past.

Somehow Lansing fell of my radar of nearby cities to take a look at. I'll have to make sure I make it down there a time or two this summer.

Lansing "fell off your radar"??? LOL....there's really not many other choices, buddy! :) I haven't done much "exploring" of other towns since I've been back home in Michigan but I'd like to take a trip to Flint someday. I know you guys don't get much fanfare up there, but as I always say (and it's true); "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Ya gotta look past the grit to see the soul of a place. After all, Baltimore went from being one of the most blighted cities in the nation to one of the most popular in just 2 decades.....

Thanks to Councilwoman Dunbar, who would not let this one go and followed the issue through all the way, it looks like Lower Michigan Avenue will be getting the rain gardens she fought for a few months back:

Grant Will Change Face of Local City

July 27, 2006

WLNS

A multi-million dollar grant will help change the face of downtown Lansing. City leaders announced the capital city won a 2.7 million dollar grant to build rain gardens.

The gardens are designed to filter pollutants like oil and metals from the city's runoff water. This grant will also help improve the streetscape along Michigan Avenue, which one council member says will improve the beauty of Lansing.

Kathy Dunbar, Lansing City Council member: "Nobody wants to sit outside and look at concrete, sitting outside and looking at green space will be a boost to our business and a draw for business to come down here."

Construction on the rain gardens are expected to start in spring of 2007.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=5206949

I'm not sure I like this idea. Though I have to admit, I dont really know what this will look like...anyone want to fill me in?

From what I've seen it looks like there will be gardens lining the street with indigenous species of plants and flowers, the soil content in the gardens will "filter" pollutants out of the storm water while the plants will phytoremediate the pollutants from the soil.

That's the environmental benefit, the aesthetic benefit will be even greater as it will create a less "concrete jungle" feel. It will also promote a barrier between sidewalk traffic and street traffic, and important element towards making the walking public's subconscious feel safe walking along a 5 lane street like michigan. Additionally, the street scaping should have such an attractive affect that one would hope some of the less-retail/entertainment oriented venues along that stretch of the avenue will start shifting in more walk-in consumer friendly uses.

I sat out at 621 last friday after work and noticed how peaceful and serene things really are (despite the torn-up street) with so little traffic. My hopes are that with the rain gardens in place that same effect can be attained despite normal traffic flow.

I think there will also be some functional yet decorative (think wrought iron) fencing around each garden to protect it from cars and pedestrians alike.

Statedude, what's not to like? It cleans stormwater runoff, AND it's looks good. Any extra vegetation in Lansing is wanted. Better yet, almost all of this is from grant money meaning the city will only have to pay a tiny fraction of the post. This is one of the most proactive projects the city has seen of late.

Statedude, what's not to like? It cleans stormwater runoff, AND it's looks good. Any extra vegetation in Lansing is wanted. Better yet, almost all of this is from grant money meaning the city will only have to pay a tiny fraction of the post. This is one of the most proactive projects the city has seen of late.

After doing a bit of research, I actually like this now. First, I was unaware of where the money was coming from to pay for this. 2nd, I've seen a conceptual rendering for a similar project in another city, and I'm now on board for the project.

I was just an uninformed citizen. But now I like what I see.

• 3 months later...

It has been announced that the Michigan Dental Association is seeking to add two stories to the top of the recently completed 9-story Capitol View Building/Boji Complex, which is very near 100% occupancy if it isn't already. It was always planned that the building would eventually be expanded, but never this soon. The MDA requested a special use permit, last night, and we should be hearing about the proposal, officially, in Janurary. The adjacent 8-story parking garage built as part of the complex is also capable of adding two more floors of office or residential space.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh ok thanks. Now that you mention it by showing a picture, I do believe I recall hearing about this back in the day. That will be a fun project! :)

BTW, is there any structural progress being made at the stadium lofts project across from Oldsmobile Park (btw Larch and Cedar?) Seems like there would be by now.

It appears the last phase of On The Grand Condominiums is to start, this summer, in Old Town. This is surprising as the second phase hasn't even been fully completed. The time in between phase one and two was years, so this shows a major interest in the area:

Old Town condos expanding

Half of the eight units added to the On the Grand condominiums are finished and work should begin this summer to add another 12 units to the Old Town project, developer David Ferguson said.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS03/704180387

The current two phases:

118399374_8aaf20b7f2_o.jpg

The third phase will be along Dodge River Drive along the northern part of the site perpinidcular to these phases.

That's what everyone says, but they are done with streetscaping there. I guess the little sapplings and bushes were enough, for them.

This weekend I'm going to get a development update going. I saw Printer's Row, today, and they look excellent. Phase I looks to be completely sold out, and it looks like the pastel-colored phase II garden condo buildings could open any day, now. The Kerr House, though, still looks far from done, which is a little surprising.

Archived