Central Lansing Construction and Development.

RustTown

Phase I of Printer's Row is nearly complete. They turned out better than I expected. I hope the Odeena Group really does much more in Lansing proper:

Looking East

154604911_89eb4d23e8_o.jpg

Looking East (Zoom Northend)

154604909_707a56b2b4_o.jpg

Looking Southeast (Zoom) - They used minimal vinyl siding

154604908_31ad74c511_o.jpg

Looking Southeast (Phase I)

154604907_7d33a8c3cf_o.jpg

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These turned out a lot better looking than I thought they would. The one thing I wish they would have done is have brick all around, or at least along St Joeseph to improve the view from the freeway. BTW, I was in Chicago for the weekend and you wouldn't beleive the amount of construction going on, everywhere you turned another highrise going up.

A little update on construction with some random pictures throughout:

Arbaugh Lofts looking nice

156014053_9ce7f37d65_o.jpg

156020587_896f8f83b4_o.jpg

The sun gave me some trouble with this one, but it shows the renovation of the Ranney Building and 206 South Washington Square. The facade is complete on the Ranney, most of the rest of the work is interior. They did an EXCELLENT job in restoring the facade.

156014055_f2f5220c39_o.jpg

Random Allegan Streetscape

156014059_89d872b5e8_o.jpg

Proposed Capitol Lofts, I'm not sure if work is started, yet, though.

156014061_bde058d6e2_o.jpg

Lansing Art Gallery next door

156014066_d630ef6334_o.jpg

Peanut Shop, one of the oldest business left in downtown Lansing, and the building is showing its age (looks to be sagging in the middle). There is a chiropractic shop next door.

156014069_2aafde7497_o.jpg

Capitol Lofts and 101

156020581_8a04de88e9_o.jpg

206 South Washington Square - will include 3 lofts, and retail or restaurant on the ground floor.

156020582_38ad95233f_o.jpg

Ranney Building

156020586_f71ff91dde_o.jpg

Down in REO Town the old Danzo Hardware Store renovation is complete which includes space for ground floor retail and lofts.

156020589_546e0432b8_o.jpg

p><p> Across the street is the Michigan

%7Boption%7Dhttp://static.flickr.com/62/156020590_dd129d9a0f_o.jpg' alt='156020590_dd129d9a0f_o.jpg'>

Back downtown, the Mutual Building will soon be renovated (won't take much work as it's only been vacant for a short time) to house Christman Construction.

156041036_1e3e7ab6d8_o.jpg

156050775_750c98dcd2_o.jpg

Christman believes in Lansing! lol

156050771_6d44daf65e_o.jpg

Next door is the historic, art-deco styled Michigan Bell Building (now SBC).

156050773_567288593a_o.jpg

Across the street from both of them is the Central United Methodist Church complex. This is one of the entrances along North Capitol Avenue.

156050772_8b316e1279_o.jpg

It's getting late...another lazy spring day in the Capitol City.

156041037_d03c7a4592_o.jpg

156050779_efccdc4d5f_o.jpg

I think the Capitol Lofts have started, they have had a construction dumpster and debris chte in back for awhile now. I'm happy to see the Ranney Building come together, I hope they do something more with that big window, at least some dramatic lighting for the night or something, I think what they are doing to the building next door with that balcony is really cool. Now what I'd like to see is if Christman does anything interesting to the mutual building, as with most buildings downtown, at the least I hope to see exterior lighting.

I'm pretty confident that Lansing will have a 300 ft tower built within the next 10 years, but a 400 ft one would be great, and probably realistic if we can carry through with some of this momentum.

Kind of off topic, but Bernero and some other Lansing delegates were in Indy, today, to bring back ideas on how to improve our own downtown area. I don't put a lot of stock into these trips, though, because a couple of city council members and delegates went to downtown Dayton a few years back with promises to bring back good ideas, and nothing ever came of it. Bernero is really becoming too lazy, IMO, and more reclusive than I would have thought.

Bernero is really becoming too lazy, IMO, and more reclusive than I would have thought.

I think the way the council hounded him on what seemed perfectly reasonable proposals put him off. I never really expected him to be as public or as active as Hollister, and it's still far too early to know how he will turn out over time. My main hope is that none of the council regulars canidates become mayor or council members, that could cause some real troubles.

Gotta throw the Mayor a bone - I don't think the way he has been working can be considered lazy. Problem is that there are too many strcutural problems with how this city operates. It's become a social services agency. Actually, I think part of the reason Lansing lacks a strong foundation is because the city government has too long functioned as a foundation funding too many social service and cultural projects. The private sector has not been forced to take responsibility for the community.

Hollister building update: eyeglass place is expecting to move closer to Washington in a redone space on Allegan - per one of the employees.

Well, as a liberal, myself, the government acting a social service agency is rarely a problem for me. But, it really is a problem, now, with the dwindling tax base. The city MUST become more fiscally conservative in the face of what is really a crisis.

But, I don't think the private sector is being ignored in that Lansing is literally selling the store to subsidize these new developments. They've practically bent over backwards for any developer looking to build in the city. I can't even remember the last time the city ever denied and OPRA or brownfield, or some other form of tax credit or abatement. Also, the city has all of the other agencies that cities use as a liason to business such as the Lansing EDC (Economic Development Corporation). I think Lansing's biggest problem is that they market the region poorly or not at all. Perception is sometimes a bigger problem than the reality. What made Hollister so great was that even though he had limited resources, he was an amazing consensus builder and cheerleader, the likes of which have not been seen since then.

Unforunately I think that for the time being Lansing will have to continue to "sell the store" when it comes to new development. We are no where near the point of a self sustaining downtown, where private development can be done without incentives. I think it may be as long a five years before Lansing can stop giving incentives, although in the meantime we will probably be able to continously become more demanding of projects that receive incentives.

I think incentives are a good thing, and neccessary. In terms of the private sector paying for things like the cultural programs and social services, I think that notion in Lansing is a joke. The largest industry in Lansing IS the state. So there fore it would make sense that the majority of the funding for those things would come from the government. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought the largest employer, and corporate presence in Lansing was GM, and they are leaving, or have left. Aside from that Is there a major corporate presence in Lansing? I know there are big companies, but are they of scale? GR doesn't even really have BIG companies. It benefits greatly from really genourous Philanthropists.

GM was the largest single employer, but they've finally downsized to the point that that I don't believe they are now the largest employer in the city. It's either healthcare or the state and city government that is now the top dogs in terms of employment. Then, education comes next. The economy is actually more diverse than many give it credit for. As for large, private employers, GM was about the only one that could fund huge projects single-handedly (i.e. Oldsmobile Park). If you're asking if there are any Van Andel or DeVos-types in the city, there are not.

BTW, I wasn't really making a judgement one way or another on subsidies for private developers, rather I was refuting the claim that somehow Lansing isn't doing enough for the private sector. It's doing enough, and then some. The city is not that business-unfriendly; the only large impedement may be the unions, but most of them are for the auto industry. Private developers automatically have the ear of the city. If you want to see a business-unfriendly city, look no further than Ann Arbor.

Aside from that Is there a major corporate presence in Lansing? I know there are big companies, but are they of scale? GR doesn't even really have BIG companies. It benefits greatly from really genourous Philanthropists.

Lansing does have three quite large insurance companies, but they seem pretty greedy, I've never heard of them financing anything. We have Auto-Owners (a fortune 500 company), Jackson National Life, and Accident Fund Insurance all headquartered here. One company does seem to like to contribute what it can, Capitol Natiobal Bancorp, but they are still a relatively small bank with under $4 billion in assets. As they grow, I assume their charity will also.

Also, in the LSJ article about Lansing Leaders visiting Indy, they said that THe Stadium DIstrict is now slated to begin in July, his is getting pretty stupid, if they are off schedule they just need to make a realistic start date and stick with it, and not keep pusing it back. They also said, in Business Briefs, that MR Karp expects to have two more leases for the ground floor of the Arbaugh come in by next week and that all his apartments are now leased. Once again, this is good news for future development that even his $1200/month apartments can be leased in less than a year, even this early in downtowns rebirth.

BTW, I wasn't really making a judgement one way or another on subsidies for private developers, rather I was refuting the claim that somehow Lansing isn't doing enough for the private sector. It's doing enough, and then some. The city is not that business-unfriendly; the only large impedement may be the unions, but most of them are for the auto industry. Private developers automatically have the ear of the city. If you want to see a business-unfriendly city, look no further than Ann Arbor.

yeah Lmich, you may have misunderstood my post, I was also saying that there's not a whole lot Lansing can do right now because private developers, and benefactors, arent in Lansing in great numbers, because of the overwhelming amount of Government centered jobs.

huh? I was pretty sure that the Arbaugh Lofts were leasing for under $1,000. In fact, I thought I'd originally heard that one bedrooms were going for something like $600 at their lowest.

There is one $550 unit listed, but there are multiple $1000+ units (19) and one as high as $1150. A majority of the others are $735 or $850. For a detailed listing of the unit prices go to the buildings site and click "Live Here" and then "Lofts," each unit along with its price and lease status is listed.

Also, when it comes to the government in Lansing, it's really a mixed blessing. While it makes for a very stable economy with a large number of well-paid workers with relatively stable jobs, it can detract from the private sector. However I think that its more a matter of perception than anything. The government may be the largest employer in the region (when state and local entities are combined) there are still plenty of large to mederatly sized companies that are headquartered or have a large presense here, as with the insurance companies, GM, and a growing biotech field. When it comes to the lack of private development, I think it has more to do with greedy companies than anything, several of Lansing's insurance companies, or at least Auto Owners I'm sure has higher revenues than Meijer. But they choose not to donate or finance anything worthwhile, where Meijer has done great things for their hometown. Maybe as self confidence in Lansing improves companies will want to contribute more, but I won't hold my breath.

It has a lot to do with sense of place and historical connection to the community. Isurance companies, banks, and the like rarely have a strong connection to their community. And, why? I don't know. On the other hand, larger retailers tend to do a lot more in giving back to their community. Type of business seems to have something to do with it, too.

The unions and the Board of Water and Light (BWL) seem to sponsor (with significant contributions/donations) quite a few things such as the chili cook-off, Silver Bells in the City, Common Ground...

The unions and the Board of Water and Light (BWL) seem to sponsor (with significant contributions/donations) quite a few things such as the chili cook-off, Silver Bells in the City, Common Ground...

And the BWL certainly should, they are a governmeny entity with something like a $60+ million rainy day fund. How about the Lansing Board of Water & Light Performing Arts Center :D

Man, you don't know how badly I'd wish the mayor and council would stand up to the BWL and FORCE a city audit on them. They are plagued with so much corruption and scandal it's not even funny. The city could get so much money out of them. Seriously, they are sitting on enough money to plug the city's budget holes for quite a few years.

Or enough money to finance a Lansing Center expansion and half of a performing arts center with cash, or visa versa. The BW is even talking of selling it's power plants, including Eckert, to get out of the "volitile wholesale energy market." It sounds to me like BWL is trying to screw its customers, I love the fact that Lansing has publicly owned electric company, I wish they would take on more services, such as cable, phone and internet like some other public power companies have. But there needs to be an audit and a COMPLETE cleaning house at the managment level. DO you know of anyone starting a petition or anything, or a way to contact that lawyer that always speaks about the issue down at city council, I cant remember his name.

Also, I was wondering what anyone elses thoughts are about the developer that bought the Verlinden School for $750,000, $450,000 above asking price Verlinden school's use still unknown. He said at the school board meeting that he would continue buying properties here. I think we may have found our outside developer willing to take on some larger projects, say like the Ottawa Station, or maybe a highrise condo building downtown? I just want to know what is so great about Verlinden to make it worth $750,000, my only guess is that he knows something about whats going to be going up on the site of the old factory.

I'm not too sure about the BWL guy that comes down. He hasn't been there in awhile. Hopefully, he'll be back down. Yeah, I like how the BWL is publically owned. It's the largest municipal owned utility in the state. Another good thing is that though they are raising their rates, we still pay less than almost any other place in the state. That also has a downside, though, as it keeps your average citizen from being concerned about what they do. As long as their rates are cheap, the average citizen is likely to overlook all of the corruption going on over there.

I didn't like the Verlinden sale. I mean, it was a hard offer to turn down as the Florida investor payed WAY over the asking price, but he's an investor just looking to sell the building off at a higher cost if the area ever gets to where he can justify selling it off. I'd have much prefered they'd sold it to the MSU cyclatron scientist who were actually going to create jobs, and have a real committment to the community. But, with Lansing School District's enrollment continuing to decline, and cities recieving less and less money from the state, this was a hard offer to turn down.

I read about the Florida guy in the paper today, and they said both good and bad about him. He's been in some shaddy dealings (was kidnapped for not paying off a debt, or something), but they said the family is well respected. I don't know what to think, but I'm really thinking he's just going to sit on this until either some one offers him more for the building or the something big goes at the Verlinden site.

The least of my concern is whether or not those cyclotron scientists get it. The building seems to be in a bad loacation for them anyway, in a low-profile location on the opposite side of town from where they should be looking. If they really need a place Cedar St school is still available as far as I know, they had no great need for Verlinden.

Archived