Haydon Burns RFP Thread

bobliocatt

I don't feel as bad now knowing that other cities have to bare the burden of ghastly architecture. Taylor Hardwick must get around!

I'm still sittin' here in my lounge chair across the street wating for the implosion!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atkins meets with JEDC on Wednesday to beginning final negotiations for purchase and development.

I think I see light at the end of the tunnel!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are we celebrating too early here? The City Council and Mayor have to sign off on the final agreement right?

Was it Taylor Hardwick handing out the flyers? :rofl:

I just visited Taylor's site and have to say that I'm glad that the majority of the 60's style architecture is gone.

There is not one project listed on his site that I find appealing other than the building he did for the Florida School for the Deaf & Blind, which lacks the 60's modernistic look.

Taylor is certainly a good architect, however, he was unfortunte to be a captive of an architectural period that is increasingly disliked.

My mentor told me once (albiet the following comment regards bridges and building structures), when they start tearing down your designs to replace them with others that are new and more functional, its time to ride off into the sunset.

Hardwick needs to ride off into the sunset.

Ironically, my mentor is was a structural engineer of the deisgn of the "Masterpiece" of Taylor Hardwick. He is embarraseed to be associated with that structure.

So, Atkins met with JEDC last Friday and will meet again next Friday to continue negotiations.

From what I hear, the meeting went well and all parties are anxious to get a deal together by end of September... and Atkins wants to be "in the ground" by mid 2006.

I can also report that a "grocery" component was offered by Atkins in the discussion, and apparently there are two restaraunts in the mix already as well.

All sounds good!

- J :thumbsup:

I received this response from Mayor Peyton to my email regarding the Haydon Burns Library. Below his response is my letter. I haven't received anything from any of the 19 council members yet.

Thank you for writing about the disposition of the Haydon Burns library building. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know your opinion.

The city currently has not awarded a contract, though the Atkins Group was selected through a competitive process. Over the next few weeks, the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission will work with the winning bidder. They will conduct a thorough review of the proposal with the goal of developing a purchase and sale agreement with the developer. Only following this due diligence process would a contract be awarded. If a purchase and sale agreement is reached, the Jacksonville City Council will then be asked to approve it.

I hope this information has been helpful and, again, I appreciate your taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

John Peyton

>>> 07/31/05 11:08 AM >>>

I wanted to express my strong support for the Atkins Group being selected to receive the Haydon Burns Library building, as recommended by the JEDC.

While Peterbrooke touts its plans to offer tours of the chocolate-making process, their floor plans show merely a small area for displays and an overlook of the production floor. Unlike the tenants in the Atkins proposal, this use of the property would not draw evening visitors to downtown. Also, the uses in the Atkins proposal will generate repeat visits, whereas a tour of a chocolate production line would be more limited in that regard.

Proponents of the Peterbrooke proposal have stated that the Burns Library is the last example of 1960?s architecture in Downtown Jacksonville. This is simply not the case. Riverplace Tower, City Hall Annex, the Ed Ball building, CSX Headquarters, and JEA Tower are all major examples of 1960?s architecture. Needless to say there are also many more examples outside the urban core, since that decade was a pivotal time for suburban development nationwide.

To be truly vibrant, an urban area needs the elements that only a critical mass of full-time residents can bring. These residents not only bring life and security to the area, they create a demand for services that the free market will fill. Merchants providing entertainment, movies, music, clothing, dry cleaning, drugs and groceries begin to fill the previously vacant spaces and a livable and appealing village results.

The mix of uses and tenants in the proposed Atkins building would go a long way towards providing the goods and services that downtown residents need and want, and that will encourage further residential development on the Northbank.

Given the current financial condition of the city, and the fact that the city has long advocated the establishment of a residential base downtown, I feel the Atkins proposal is a strong one and should be chosen. The Atkins/Ocean Square proposal would add both residents and services to the downtown environment. This aspect makes them the clear choice if Jacksonville is to join the list of cities that have a truly desirable, vibrant, and economically successful downtown.

Archived