How does the outside view Greenville?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here is a "feel good" for you guys...

The guy beside me on my inbound plane this evening was coming here for the weekend to play golf with some friends. He started coming here several years ago on business and made friends. He was HIGHLY complimentary of Greenville. Most interesting was his take on Greenville and Upstate......

He was talking about how GSA has become this dynamic place and done it simply through determination and blood, sweat and tears.

- Greenville was NOT a port like Charleston, Norfolk, Mobile, etc.

- Greenville was NOT a capitol like Columbia, Raleigh, Nashville, Little Rock, etc.

- Greenville was NOT on a navigatable river like Memphis, Louisville, etc.

- Greenville was NOT a crossroads for rails like Atlanta, Jackson, etc.

- Greenville did NOT have an abundance of natural minerals like Birmingham with coal and iron ore.

- Greenville did NOT have a major university.

I guess I've never really thought about it those terms, but he said Greenville impressed him with what it's become, having basically nothing other the sheer beauty of the region and the people's will.

It really made me think.....most other Southern cities had something major to set them on the path to growth and many still rely on those things (ie: Charleston and the port or Columbia and the capitol). Greenville was simply a little mill town by a waterfall and was able to parlay that into "The Textile Capital". When textiles went away, Greenville reinvented herself again, and hasn't skipped a beat.

Something all Greenvillians should be VERY proud of! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent post gsupstate. It shows how having a plan in place, and folks who have the wherewithall to implement it, can make all the difference. :thumbsup:

To me, Greenville's great story can be sumed up into 4 main points :

1.People (the great mix of ppl. who are not native & those who are)

2.Property Values & Cost of Living (much less for much more than in many metros)

3.I-85 (THE Power Corridor)

4.Weather (very mild compared to many other places weather wise)

Having spent last week in southern California... the biggest thing that stands out: green. I'm not sure that color exists out there naturally.

That is definitely true. There are plenty of browns and yellows out there though. ^_^

We are very proud to live in GREENville, which lives up to its name.

• 2 weeks later...

Im on holiday in California and was watching the local news last night when a familar logo appeared on screen. I only saw the last few seconds of it and I ahve no idea what the story was about but, for some reason a womean was talking to KCAL for the WYFF 4 Newsroom. It was kinda eerie ...

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly not. There is the Grand Strand area for one. There are also ties between the Pee Dee (specifically the Chesterfield-Marlboro area) and the neighboring NC section around Rockingham. Spartanburg has a pretty significant economic/commuting ties with Polk County. Landrum, Tyron, and Saluda are collectively known as the "String of Pearls" ... And lets not forget that the Upstate and Western NC share a media market. You can go on and on.

• 2 months later...

Dude - that's old news. My brother-in-law, who at the time worked for the City of Fort Wayne and had just paid us a visit, had a hand in this, actually. There's even a thread here somewhere dedicated specifically to Fort Wayne (and other cities) visiting Greenville to learn first-hand what we've done here that's been so successful.

Dude - that's old news. My brother-in-law, who at the time worked for the City of Fort Wayne and had just paid us a visit, had a hand in this, actually. There's even a thread here somewhere dedicated specifically to Fort Wayne (and other cities) visiting Greenville to learn first-hand what we've done here that's been so successful.

RT, the first article was made October 2nd, 2006 according to the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel. The second one is old news, but alot of people have joined UP since that was posted and thought they might like to see it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Distortedlogic, you are too much....:lol:

At any rate, I ran across this blog on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's website about the Top 10 Most Underrated Destinations in the World as compiled by TripAdvisor.com. While Greenville didn't make the cut (at least you guys have something to aspire to :)), many of the comments posted reflected positively on the city.

Greenville and Charleston did recieve some positive comments but I can't agree with them stating that Melbourne Australia, Brussels Belgium, and Lisbon Portugal are some of the most under-rated cities in the world. All of these cities recieve extensive press coverage.

Distortedlogic, you are too much....:lol:

At any rate, I ran across this blog on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's website about the Top 10 Most Underrated Destinations in the World as compiled by TripAdvisor.com. While Greenville didn't make the cut (at least you guys have something to aspire to :)), many of the comments posted reflected positively on the city.

Archived