Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha I'd just love to knock some regional sense into our civic leaders. :lol:

Don't forget that a Natatorium (swim facility) has already been approved for the Diamond area (we used to call it The Old Fair Grounds after it moved to RIR).

I read what that guy said and I liked it. Coupe I love your plan even more but there would be lots of obstacles like you said with paying off the costs of it. I would love to see someone submit coupes plan or Brian Glasses Plan to the Mayor and see if he likes it. If I was a mayor there would be no doubt in my mind I would say yes to it. Its a perfect way to execute on having a new ballpark plus an Arena. AHHH I can only see it now it would be a.. DREAM COME TRUE!!!!

The Biotech park running out of space? Did they forget they can build up?

Exactly!!! Who said that the Biotech park had a height restriction?! Looks like they didn't put too much thought into the park if they feel they are running out of space. Then again, they do have all that land in Chesterfield (Meadowville park I believe?) in which to also expand.

I think Meadowville was ideally for things like semiconductor plants etc. given its sheer size, though it has successfully lured the Northrup Grumman VITA operation as well.

While I think the biotech park is good for Richmond, I CAN'T STAND what it does for pedestrian activity and street level interaction between buildings and sidewalks, which is absolutely nothing! Fear of that deadness creeping further south into downtown scare me.

I think Meadowville was ideally for things like semiconductor plants etc. given its sheer size, though it has successfully lured the Northrup Grumman VITA operation as well.

While I think the biotech park is good for Richmond, I CAN'T STAND what it does for pedestrian activity and street level interaction between buildings and sidewalks, which is absolutely nothing! Fear of that deadness creeping further south into downtown scare me.

Right, Coupe. It's a chunk of suburbia planted downtown.

• 1 month later...

Braves get offered an extension for lease at the diamond. read this article from the todays RTD.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/sport...06-30-0088.html

This lease extension doesn't address improvements to the park. Maybe that's why The ABraves are remaining silent.

Theoretically, if no agreement is reached, wouldn't the Braves still have territorial rights in the Richmond market? If they chose to not play ball at the Diamond, couldn't they, technically, prevent any other MLB team such as the Nats from entering the area?

And here's a question/answer colum by John O'Connor in today's inRich about the Diamond.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-03-0111.html

I saw that the City and the Braves have agreed to keep the team in the Boulevard Area. Now they are haggling over whether to renovate or start over and where to do so along Boulevard... then how all that ties into the redevelopment of the area with the 60 ac city property all tied in... Does anyone actually have a map of all this?

Like I said before they have no clue where to start with all this. I wonder if they even have a developer lined up for this property. I have alot of questions id love to here the answers to. Why not Renovate the Diamond untill they do have a new ballpark lined up for that area and all planned out? I mean seriously they could have already been done with a renovated Diamond untill they do build a new ballpark. To me the whole thing is a huge mess so far. They need to get someone and say this is where we begin. Theres to many people with their own opinions that holds it back and that results in them not getting anywhere in this project. I really want someone to take control of this project and say this is where we start.

I think renovation of the ballpark sounds better. Spread out the capacity so everyone can be closer to the field instead of being out of the picture. I've sat on the general admission seats, watching the game from there kinda makes me feel like I'm at the upper deck of a MLB park. Many modern ballparks spread out the capacity instead of focusing them all in one place like the Diamond.

Add amenities to bring the park to Triple A standards, do a renovation of the outfield fence, add some seats in there. Harbor Park in Norfolk has a picnic area in left field. Add a restaurant, add kids zone areas to bring in more tickets. Allentown, PA is building a park for the Phillies' AAA team, slated to open in 2008, includes 7,000 seats, but more depending on mood, the weather, the stadium area, etc. It has no upper decks, a solution the R-Braves can look on (Coca-Cola Park, if you want to know its name). Avoid ripoffs of other parks. Syracuse built their ballpark which was a ripoff of Harbor Park.

Also, there's some business in the Boulevard area that could be razed to make way for a new park across the railroad tracks. But one problem there, is the traffic volumes. Need a park as close to interstates for better access. Not to mention VCU and other sports people need land for their own buildings.

Hey, guys. Go over to the Sports thread to see the latest proposal for the Diamond area -- possibly to include a new super-sized arena.

Also, check out Richmond Economy/Business/Real Estsate thread for new info about Bow Tie cinemas on North Boulevsrd.

I think Boulevard Development ought to be a new consolidated thread.

Like I said before they have no clue where to start with all this. I wonder if they even have a developer lined up for this property. I have alot of questions id love to here the answers to. Why not Renovate the Diamond untill they do have a new ballpark lined up for that area and all planned out? I mean seriously they could have already been done with a renovated Diamond untill they do build a new ballpark. To me the whole thing is a huge mess so far. They need to get someone and say this is where we begin. Theres to many people with their own opinions that holds it back and that results in them not getting anywhere in this project. I really want someone to take control of this project and say this is where we start.

I'll remind you, you have an opinion too. I doubt it's opinions holding back anything... people can think and think, but it's what they do, don't, and put off...

• 1 month later...

New Braves ballpark on hold

Richmond plans to hire a consultant next month to run a nationwide search for developers to transform the park and surrounding area along the Boulevard, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer Harry E. Black said yesterday.

"The county leaders have agreed; they are eager to go. The Braves indicated they are eager to get going. Everybody is eager, and the city is hiring consultants!" he added.

Black said the city hopes to pick from one of six consultants to start the process by the end of next month. That consultant would prepare formal requests for developers to come in with detailed plans for the Boulevard, the 6th Street Marketplace and likely one other part of the city.

Mayor L. Douglas Wilder is seeking a large development for the Boulevard, anchored by sports and entertainment facilities, Black said. That could include a hotel, shopping and other sports facilities, as well as parking for large numbers of cars.

He said an $8 million to $9 million aquatics facility is on hold, hoping for a nod from city officials, while developers have suggested to him they would like to build a million square feet of stores -- roughly the size of the $153 million White Oak Village development now under construction in eastern Henrico County.

Yeesh, a million square feet? If the city decides to go in this direction I hope they make sure this development fits into the urban fabric of the area and doesn't look like that Lowe's on Broad. Leave the strip malls and gigantic surface lots to the folks in the burbs. I'm assuming this is an either or situation right? Either a sports/entertainment complex or a million square feet of big-box retail?

Yeesh, a million square feet? If the city decides to go in this direction I hope they make sure this development fits into the urban fabric of the area and doesn't look like that Lowe's on Broad. Leave the strip malls and gigantic surface lots to the folks in the burbs. I'm assuming this is an either or situation right? Either a sports/entertainment complex or a million square feet of big-box retail?

That million sf is exactly that, a bunch of big box stores that have nothing to do with the area. I sent an email to the writer of that story asking why they werent doing a design competition to get a real feel for the area...

Yeah, the either or is for just the Aquatics Facility, or the million square feet of retail. IMHO, I'd be much more towards the Aquatics Facility, being that a retail component is already in the 'Boulevard Ballpark' ordeal.

Yeah, the either or is for just the Aquatics Facility, or the million square feet of retail. IMHO, I'd be much more towards the Aquatics Facility, being that a retail component is already in the 'Boulevard Ballpark' ordeal.

Complete agreement there. The potential for the Boulevard to become a family entertainment destination is there with museums, stadiums, movie theaters, restaurants, and retail all either there already or on the way. It would be nice to see yet another part of the city come into its own.

The way I read it, the Aquatics center would be built once their plan has been approved by the city. The million square feet of retail would be in addition to that.

Big boxers can conform to a more urban layout, we just need to push for a sustainable, walkable design. It's an ideal location for tapping into North Richmond neighborhoods as well as the Fan, West of Boulevard, and other areas.

Doug Wilder took over the airwaves of WRVA one morning last week (and no it wasn't a Chavez-esque takeover) to discussion all sorts of things... including what plans may arise regarding the Rbraves and a new home for them. The mayor is saying that the Braves will have a NEW home, leading me to believe that thankfully a renovated Diamond is out of the question. Listen to what he has to say regarding the RBraves:

Mayor Wilder on WRVA

Doug Wilder took over the airwaves of WRVA one morning last week (and no it wasn't a Chavez-esque takeover) to discussion all sorts of things... including what plans may arise regarding the Rbraves and a new home for them. The mayor is saying that the Braves will have a NEW home, leading me to believe that thankfully a renovated Diamond is out of the question. Listen to what he has to say regarding the RBraves:

Mayor Wilder on WRVA

He says that 6 development groups have expressed interest in participating in renovation of the site on North Boulevard. Wonder if any of them include a new arena in their plans?

Archived