55 West

Tim3167

Thanks for the peace pipe, *cough* cough* good stuff...

I think that the point we're all trying to make is that we want Downtown Orlando to have a great sense of place. The additional retail at The Esplande and The Plaza are going to create that. I am a commercial real estate analyst and I've worked for Private Equity firms and Investment Banks in New York and San Francisco (I'd love to move back to Orlando, but I've only found two firms that handle my speciality and one outsources to my former employer Lehman Brothers), but I think that from a real estate stand point once these properties have been issued certificates of occupancy and the leases are signed the transormation will start. The other major factor that has to be included is retail demographic studies. That current Orlando retail numbers for what's called the 1-3-5 ring analysis (miles) will change dramatically once the new residents arrive in their shiny new condos. Trust me as soon as retailers see a spike in income and population density they'll be there like flies on ####.

I used to work for a pretty popular shoe store and the district and regional managers were asking around to see how profitable a store downtown would be. People are interested.

There were two shoe stores on Orange Avenue for quite awhile. The one left a couple years ago and the building has been renovated. Don't remember the name, but is was near Cafe Annie's. They used to have cobwebs in their display windows.

The other shoe store was a little further down Orange. I don't know if he's there anymore. What I really liked about his shop, is that he was a cobbler as well and he resoled a pair of my nice leather shoes for 6 bucks. You won't get that with a chain retail store, but if he is gone, there are no shoe stores downtown.

Both of these shops could not thrive under the conditions of the time. There is a lot more walking traffic downtown now and it will multiply in the next couple of years. The more people walk, the more they need shoes on their feet. Pretty simple concept.

With regards to P/L, that I don't know.

I certainly hope so as well, Orlandoguy, but my biggest concern with movie theatres is that as a whole they are not doing well. In fact when I worked at Deutsche Bank Real Estate, shopping centers that were anchored by movie theatres were concerned inferior investments. Having a theatre in an urban infill location like The Plaza theoretically should make a difference, but I have to look to dMAC and think about the traffic it generated, which isn't much if they are closing. A 16 screen theatre on the other hand would certainly have a larger impact, though.

I certainly hope so as well, Orlandoguy, but my biggest concern with movie theatres is that as a whole they are not doing well. In fact when I worked at Deutsche Bank Real Estate, shopping centers that were anchored by movie theatres were concerned inferior investments. Having a theatre in an urban infill location like The Plaza theoretically should make a difference, but I have to look to dMAC and think about the traffic it generated, which isn't much if they are closing. A 16 screen theatre on the other hand would certainly have a larger impact, though.

Unlike DMAC, I'm sure people will actually be able to find the Plaza's theatre.

I was really upset when I heard the DMAC was closing...I enjoyed their offerings. But I blame a lot of that on the management, who promoted the place as only snobby hipsters could. That is to say, they weren't all that in to promotion. Because that wouldn't be cool.

It was nearly impossible to find, thanks to its almost non-existant signage.

Assuming you did find the building, there were few signs inside as to what was showing and when, where you were supposed to go to buy tickets and where the theatre itself was actually located.

A big pet peeve of mine is listening to members of the arts-y community complain that few take advantage of Orlando's cultural offerings while they themselves make doing so extremely difficult...as if DMAC, the Fringe, et al were some kind of exclusive club.

I'm ranting - Sorry.

Let's get some photos in here! All these were taken this afternoon (6/2/2006)

dscn17642nm.jpg

Looking south onto the site from Pine Street.

dscn17650zc.jpg

Looking south from Pine Street again.

dscn17662zg.jpg

View from the northwest corner of the site.

dscn17670yd.jpg

Looking east from the railroad tracks, Solaire/Plaza in the background.

dscn17682sn.jpg

Pile cap action from the southeast corner of the site.

dscn17694ta.jpg

More of the same...

dscn17710dz.jpg

Overlooking the site from the building next door.

dscn17729rq.jpg

Another elevated view from the east.

Enjoy!

-Tom

Great shots. I particularly enjoyed the elevated views. Is there public access to that location?

Not quite. It involves entering that one bar with three different themes on each floor (Antigua, Big Belly, and Latitudes, I think), getting to the roof, climbing over their fence on the roof, and walking onto the roof of the building next door. I was allowed to do this since I had equipment to monitor, but I don't think they'd let anyone up there.

DMAC is closing???? This is news to me! I hope this isn't true (say it ain't so!)

Yep, according to the Sentinel. Last show was supposed to be the "Sex Addict" one.

It's a shame...I always liked seeing the Oscar nominated shorts and documentaries.

I didn't realize that the Fringe and the other Orlando arts groups were snobby and exclusive. I was at Fringe last year and picked up on a bit of an arrogant air, but I expect that from performers.

Unintentionally exclusive...just from my perspective.

Again, sorry for straying off topic. Back to 55W!

Great shots, btw.

Yep, according to the Sentinel. Last show was supposed to be the "Sex Addict" one.

It's a shame...I always liked seeing the Oscar nominated shorts and documentaries.

Unintentionally exclusive...just from my perspective.

Again, sorry for straying off topic. Back to 55W!

Great shots, btw.

Wait, I thought UCF owned the DMAC now. Natura Coffee & Tea went in there as part of the UCF deal. Hmm...

Has anyone ever thought about the traffic problems that these new residential/retail developments might potentially cause? I am all for density, but Orlando's roads (especially downtown) are already congested at night and rushhour, 55west and PTP will no doubt create even more headaches on Orange Ave.

Has anyone ever thought about the traffic problems that these new residential/retail developments might potentially cause? I am all for density, but Orlando's roads (especially downtown) are already congested at night and rushhour, 55west and PTP will no doubt create even more headaches on Orange Ave.

... and what about gettin killed? All I know if I continue to be aggressively harrassed by bums on bikes downtown, I'm going to add more to our statistics. Okay, so we said that in winter they're more aggressive... what now, the heat? At night? Seriously, I took some friends from work out Monday night and everything was fine until a bum on a bike right infront of University Club (Rosalind side) came bothering us. Was polite and then he started calling us names.

Argh!

My glass is half full today.

On that note, the Lymmo infrastructure up Magnolia and through a few corridors (with the designated lanes) is a huge asset. If traffic becomes unbearable, it shouldn't be too hard to quickly throw a few more busses on the routes and create some sort of efficient downtown circulator. The worse traffic gets, the more people will try Lymmo.

The more people riding Lymmo, the more efficiently it'll be run.

Wait, I thought UCF owned the DMAC now. Natura Coffee & Tea went in there as part of the UCF deal. Hmm...

Ford Kiene owns the Rogers Building, which is the DMAC. DMAC is a UCF project that has been funded by the City of Orlando. They committed to helping out for 2 years and dropped funding about 3 months ago. They are now going to take that money and send it over to the City Arts Factory. I Am A Sex Addict is running this weekend with Oscar Nominated Live Action Shorts. They were initially saying that they would close after this weekend. UCF still hasn't made a final decision. They are running a documentary about Flogging Mollies next weekend, so who knows exactly when they will be closing. Natura has been on a 30 day the whole time they have been in there. Also, the Sentinel mentioned about the DMAC having bad sound. The problem is sound proofing. And they shouldn't even have to deal with that themselves. I went and saw I Am A Sex Addict last night and the problem is noise bleeding in from across the street at Pine Street Bar and Grill. According to City Ordinances, they are playing their music too loud and OPD should be enforcing that. Ginos Pizza on Orange does the same thing and the cops do nothing about that either. DMAC should complain about the noise. There are other issues with the DMAC that keep people from going, but the movies are interesting. Sex Addict is definitely not for kids. It had a few funny moments, though. You can get a review at the Green Room Orlando.

Sorry for going off topic from 55W, but a few people have been mentioning the DMAC.

Ha! I would say that is the exact opposite of public access.

I'm sure I know what he's talking about...it's public just not easily accessed :whistling: but I imagine they'd be pissed if they discovered you climbed over the fence and risked your life on their roof. But Latitudes IS practically deserted during the day...and the bar faces the other way.... hmmmm

Just do it before you have some drinks.

Has there been any indication of who is owning/running this theatre when it opens?

Is it going to be a typical movie theater, playing the same tripe that everyone gets to see at Pleasure Island/Pointe Orlando/Citywalk, or will it cater more to the educated base of downtown and show art films regularly? Orlando is really in need of something like this because Enzian's one screen just doesn't cut it anymore.

I remember when I moved from the Philadelphia suburbs, a chain of theaters had opened up called Ritz which prided itself on showing more art films. Every time I went there, the place was packed. Plus, they had real butter for the popcorn! :yahoo:

I wonder if they are still in business....

Has there been any indication of who is owning/running this theatre when it opens?

Is it going to be a typical movie theater, playing the same tripe that everyone gets to see at Pleasure Island/Pointe Orlando/Citywalk, or will it cater more to the educated base of downtown and show art films regularly? Orlando is really in need of something like this because Enzian's one screen just doesn't cut it anymore.

I remember when I moved from the Philadelphia suburbs, a chain of theaters had opened up called Ritz which prided itself on showing more art films. Every time I went there, the place was packed. Plus, they had real butter for the popcorn! :yahoo:

Amstar Cinemas, they also have one in Lake Mary

the educated base of downtown?? what percentage is 'educated'? and to what level does that imply?

i understand what you're saying though. i'm just giving you are hard time for saying it.

they aren't going to see the 'art' films at the dmac right now and that is why we may be losing the dmac. and the amstar is going to be screening your usual hollywood fare.

it would be really nice to have the dmac stay in place and have the blockbuster hollywood movies around the block. i hope ucf and the city don't drop it altogether.

real butter? that would nice.

Ritz Theaters

the educated base of downtown?? what percentage is 'educated'? and to what level does that imply?

i understand what you're saying though. i'm just giving you are hard time for saying it.

they aren't going to see the 'art' films at the dmac right now and that is why we may be losing the dmac. and the amstar is going to be screening your usual hollywood fare.

it would be really nice to have the dmac stay in place and have the blockbuster hollywood movies around the block. i hope ucf and the city don't drop it altogether.

real butter? that would nice.

Ritz Theaters

Landmark is good too, I used to go there in San Francisco.