Which smaller mid-sized city is your preference?

krazeeboi

As far as living goes, which small mid-sized city is your choice?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. As far as living goes, which small mid-sized city is your choice?

• Asheville
    • Augusta
    • Charleston
    • Chattanooga
    • Columbia
    • Columbus
    • Durham
    • Greenville
    • Greensboro
    • Huntsville
    • Jackson
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Mobile
    • Spartanburg
    • St. Petersburg
    • Tallahassee
    • Wilmington
    • Winston-Salem
    • Other

tallahassee is quickly growing. If our transportation infastracture can manage, I think this place could be the answer to alot of peoples problems. A good mix of country, burbs, and a growing downtown- too easy to sell!!!! Our potential is limited by our government... and every election we see improvements for growth.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to vote for my hometown of Greensboro.  Sometimes referred to as "Greensboring", but all that is changing.  There is a huge wave of development and new life being pumped into downtown.  But there is one thing that hasn't changed over the years...our sense of community.  There are so many ways to get involved.  There is an incredible amount of diversity as well, perhaps one of the most accepting and diverse cities in the southeast.  Greensboro is also ranked pretty high on philanthropy in the community.  I think the fact that it's the 3rd biggest city in NC (and still carving out a niche in the state) is a positive.  It forces them to look for ways to maximize their strengths and strengthen their weaknesses.  Besides all that, the vibe is just very different from Charlotte or Raleigh.  Its very artsy, creative, and not as stuffy, I love it.  It's hard to explain.  If I ever move back to NC (i'm in West Hollywood right now) I could only live in Greensboro, Chapel Hill (I'm a UNC grad...what can i say :-) ) , or Asheville (I love that place, too.)  in that order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100% I like the vibe of Greensboro. its not too fastpace and its not too slow pace. It is a big college town and very artsy. Greensboro is known for its parks and it has a unique downtown that combines qualities of an urban metropolis and small town Main Street USA. The city has the second most vibrant downtown nightlife in North Carolina after Charlotte and Greensboro's downtown is transforming into something very special.

What can I say, I moved to Chattanooga for graduate school, and I wish I could stay forever! The quality of life is excellent. It has most of the comforts of a city, but without many of the hassles that a large city faces. The riverfront gets more beautiful every month, and let's just say that watching the sunset from the nation's largest pedestrian bridge w/ ur lady scores major points!

OK, I voted for my hometown, Winston-Salem! I moved away after high school and vowed never to come back (never say never) and was extremely surprised. While things are still a work in progress, I find much more to keep me entertained now being a thirtysomething then when I was a teenager. I never have a boring weekend.

Being only a couple of hours from the mtns and 4 hrs from the coast doesn't hurt either.

There is a big push to improve several areas of the city and just a good vibe coming from the city overall.

OK, I voted for my hometown, Winston-Salem!  I moved away after high school and vowed never to come back (never say never) and was extremely surprised.  While things are still a work in progress, I find much more to keep me entertained now being a thirtysomething then when I was a teenager.  I never have a boring weekend.

Being only a couple of hours from the mtns and 4 hrs from the coast doesn't hurt either.

There is a big push to improve several areas of the city and just a good vibe coming from the city overall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea i noticed that too. Its not just the downtown area but the entire city thats evolving. The only area i would say is lagging behing is East Winston, but that will change once I-74 is complete. The only major development over there is the WSSU campus, Bus. 40 rehabilitation and the new Atkins High School.

i'm going with okc. always overlooked. most people still tend to think that we ride horses and have dirt roads. with the development in and near downtown its becoming a really cool place to be. and it has some of the nicest people anywhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With over 1 million people in the metro and it being the central city of that metro, it hardly fits the description for the poll.

Not doubting that, it's just this poll is in referrence to cities of small to mid-sized.  Do you consider OKC small?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I don't consider it small at all, so yea it probably shouldn't be included. As for the poll, I would choose Winston-Salem because well I live here and it really is a great place.

There's not enough room for all of those choices. I tried to get the more recognizable cities from the southern states (although I missed Savannah). That would be too many Florida cities anyway, IMO (although Sarasota is a good option). That's what I have "other" listed as an option and one could always reply and make mention of what his/her unlisted choice is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived