Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Speaking of parking decks, the Veterans hospital may be getting one to go along with the 146,000 sq. ft. expanison being built. The 500 space deck would make it easier for patients to get in and out of the new structure. The new building is targeted to open in March, 2012 and will enable the outpatient clinics scattered aroound town to move back to the main campus.

Speaking of parking decks, the Veterans hospital may be getting one to go along with the 146,000 sq. ft. expansion being built. The 500 space deck would make it easier for patients to get in and out of the new structure. The new building is targeted to open in March, 2012 and will enable the outpatient clinics scattered around town to move back to the main campus.

I wonder where they would place it. Maybe somewhere closer to the old Washington Regional/UAMS building?

This site is being prepped for construction finally. Crews have being taking down the houses on the property stick by stick for several weeks and now the trees are being logged. Whether actual building construction is coming soon ..who knows? Our daily newspaper has cut back on development news since the big merger and that was a major source for planning news.

It was called Park Center and had over 100,000 sq. ft of space on around 8 acres when first proposed.

I had said earlier I didn't think it was going to line up well with Vantage. At the time I just thought they were taking down the two houses near the park entrance. But now it's clear they're taking down more than just the two. So looks like the new park entrance will line up fairly well with Vantage. So you'll simply go in on the east side of the park instead of the west side.

I wonder where they would place it. Maybe somewhere closer to the old Washington Regional/UAMS building?

I haven't seen any plans but considering that the new building is on the far NW corner of the campus I don't think it will be close to the UAMS building. From the street it looks like they are putting the new building in a space surrounded by other buildings and the campus border so it will be a tight fit for a parking deck.

• 2 weeks later...

I read a newspaper article about some new "form-based" commercial zoning codes being considered for Fayetteville. They would promote infill development and allow more mixing of commercial and residential uses. They would be aimed at allowing low intensity development in neighborhoods and creating a more walkable environment.

Sounds great although for a project to use the codes it would have to meet all current regulations- something that seems very rare in Fayetteville. Any need for variances and the project would have to take the normal convuluted route through the planing process.

The City has bought the parking lot just south of the Town Center parking deck for $342,000, which is less than the $380,000 that it was appraised for and much less than the asking price not long ago. It will provide space for the city poiice department to park their vehicles and also public parking for the new District Courts building.

Even though we are in a financial bind right now as a city this seems like a good purchase. The money will come from money collected through parking fees and not the general budget. The property will never be available at this price again and this buy hopefully means that the long term location of the police department will be downtown.

The City has bought the parking lot just south of the Town Center parking deck for $342,000, which is less than the $380,000 that it was appraised for and much less than the asking price not long ago. It will provide space for the city poiice department to park their vehicles and also public parking for the new District Courts building.

Even though we are in a financial bind right now as a city this seems like a good purchase. The money will come from money collected through parking fees and not the general budget. The property will never be available at this price again and this buy hopefully means that the long term location of the police department will be downtown.

Sounds like a good idea. Parking form the police and for the public trying to also park in that general area had been problematic for a while now. Like you said it's not the best time to go out and spend money. But sometimes something come along and you just have to do it for the long term benefits.

The whole parking issue keeps going as more and more parts of the city speak up. A while back ago people around Wilson Park mentioned recent parking issues they've had. Now it looks like the whole paid parking idea for Dickson will also probably be extended to the downtown area as well. I admit it makes sense, if you're going to charge for parking on Dickson it would be odd to have it for free just down Block Ave on the Square. Overall I don't think there's been the parking problems around the Square compared to Dickson St. But it might be good to have a uniform plan in effect for the whole area. That way you also can't have people complaining that some areas are being treated better than the Dickson St area.

The whole parking issue keeps going as more and more parts of the city speak up. A while back ago people around Wilson Park mentioned recent parking issues they've had. Now it looks like the whole paid parking idea for Dickson will also probably be extended to the downtown area as well. I admit it makes sense, if you're going to charge for parking on Dickson it would be odd to have it for free just down Block Ave on the Square. Overall I don't think there's been the parking problems around the Square compared to Dickson St. But it might be good to have a uniform plan in effect for the whole area. That way you also can't have people complaining that some areas are being treated better than the Dickson St area.

Wonder if that means they will charge the vendors at the Farmers Market parking fees? Seems counter productive to charge people wanting to stop at the Visitors Center to park- they might decide not to stop at all. The parking right around the square might be better left as is.

Wonder if that means they will charge the vendors at the Farmers Market parking fees? Seems counter productive to charge people wanting to stop at the Visitors Center to park- they might decide not to stop at all. The parking right around the square might be better left as is.

Yeah, they're going to have to have some free spaces on the square for things like the visitor center. A validation ticket system would work though- you could just make it to where if it's under a certain amount of time it is free to park, lots of garages do that, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the square.

I can understand some complaints. While Dickson St does have some problems with not enough parking at times. There generally isn't that problem down around the Square. Although parking is somewhat limited, there isn't as much activity around the Square as Dickson. But I still think it might be a good idea to have a general uniform code for that whole area.

I can understand some complaints. While Dickson St does have some problems with not enough parking at times. There generally isn't that problem down around the Square. Although parking is somewhat limited, there isn't as much activity around the Square as Dickson. But I still think it might be a good idea to have a general uniform code for that whole area.

Parking is not that bad. People just need to learn how to walk. The Underwood Building has a 4 level parking deck with tons of room. It's only a few dollars an hour and $5.00 all night after 5 pm. I think people are just used to parking at the front door of where they want to go. Two blocks is not a long way.

Parking is not that bad. People just need to learn how to walk. The Underwood Building has a 4 level parking deck with tons of room. It's only a few dollars an hour and $5.00 all night after 5 pm. I think people are just used to parking at the front door of where they want to go. Two blocks is not a long way.

And in today's overweight society, a little walking would do some good for a lot of people. :D

It's fine and true to say that people should walk more but saying that doesn't address the parking and traffic problems in the Dickson Street area. Unless parking is convenient and uniform in cost the problems will not be solved. The reason that the Underwood deck isn't utilized more is that people can park in the residential areas for free or circle the area until they find a free spot. The parking plan will provide order to the immediate area with the option of free parking for those hardy souls that are willing to walk some distance.

The idea of paid parking after hours in the downtown area away from Dickson Street doesn't make sense- the demand isn't there. Even when paid parking is instituted on Dickson Street the demand won't be there after hours for paid downtown parking- the use of residential permits will deter most from parking much further away to avoid the charges in the Dickson Street area and downtown will be too far for most to want to walk. Few will choose to visit another establishment exclusively because of a couple of dollars difference in parking fees. The hot spots will always be on Dickson.

IMO, the paid parking plan will actually encourage more foot traffic, especially from the student population. It will also encourage more use of public transit from the same city residents. If one can ride for free rather than pay to park many will take advantage of it. A late night Razorback Transit run would be a great public service to the area.

Edited by zman9810

While paid parking on Dickson seems like it's pretty much a done deal. It's not the same for the downtown area. Sounds like there's been a lot of public outcry over the idea. So I get the feeling the city might change some of the details or perhaps even totally scrap the idea. Personally I don't have a problem with it. But I also wouldn't want to hurt or run off downtown businesses. Dickson St I don't think will be affected too much.

I like paid parking. It assures me I can always find a space when I need it because some people won't pay it. That may sound weird but without paid parking I probably would not find parking many times.

Mark

While paid parking on Dickson seems like it's pretty much a done deal. It's not the same for the downtown area. Sounds like there's been a lot of public outcry over the idea. So I get the feeling the city might change some of the details or perhaps even totally scrap the idea. Personally I don't have a problem with it. But I also wouldn't want to hurt or run off downtown businesses. Dickson St I don't think will be affected too much.

The reasoning for paid parking in the entertainment district I understand- there is demand for parking improvements and parking fees are a way to pay for those improvements. In the downtown area there isn't that great demand except for the most convenient spaces right on the square and by the city offices on Mountain- and that's only in the daytime. The Town Center parking deck isn't used that much and the surface lots aren't jam packed- it might be better to leave downtown parking as is so as to not scare off what little activity there is now.

Here's some interesting news- the vacant lot on the SW corner of Dickson and Block, a.k.a. the former Divinity site, has a "sold" sign on it. Sure would be interesting to know who bought it and how much they paid........

Here's some interesting news- the vacant lot on the SW corner of Dickson and Block, a.k.a. the former Divinity site, has a "sold" sign on it. Sure would be interesting to know who bought it and how much they paid........

Interesting. I drove by there the other day but didn't notice. I wonder how long before we hear any plans.

Oh wow, thats definitely interesting. Perhaps Comreguy can provide some insight.

shades.gif

Oh wow, thats definitely interesting. Perhaps Comreguy can provide some insight.

shades.gif

According to the Wash. Co. website, "Dickson Street and Church Development, LLC" purchased the property for $1.35M from First State Bank of Arkansas earlier this month. The property was originally purchased back in 2006 by "Lynnkohn LLC" (owned by Brandon Barber, Et. Al.) for just over $4.6M, then reposessed by FSB in 2009.

Hope this helps.

According to the Wash. Co. website, "Dickson Street and Church Development, LLC" purchased the property for $1.35M from First State Bank of Arkansas earlier this month. The property was originally purchased back in 2006 by "Lynnkohn LLC" (owned by Brandon Barber, Et. Al.) for just over $4.6M, then reposessed by FSB in 2009.

Hope this helps.

Purchased by a developer/investor. I wouldn't expect anything to be done with the property for a while.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information- sounds like they got a bargain even though we all know that Barber overpaid for the lot. Now the question is do they have specific plans for it or is it just an investment buy? Also, does it include the lot on Church that was bought later for the Divinity parking deck? Together that property is the single largest plot of ground open for development around the downtown/Dickson area.

edit: sorry, Comreguy- looks like we were posting at the same time- didn't mean to speak over you.

Edited by zman9810

Hmmm...I did a search on that LLC but didn't come up with anything. My searching just kept pulling up churches on Dickson St. I'm wondering about the Church part of the LLC. Does it have to do with Church Ave? Seems rather ironic that there's that big lot there on the corner of Dickson and Church. Then there's an LLC that comes along with that name. Although I suppose the Church could also be the last name of a developer or someone with the financing. But it would seem that whoever bought the lot on Dickson and Church also bought this property. Now like everyone else, I just have to wonder if it's for investment or if they actually have plans for these properties.

Hmmm...I did a search on that LLC but didn't come up with anything. My searching just kept pulling up churches on Dickson St. I'm wondering about the Church part of the LLC. Does it have to do with Church Ave? Seems rather ironic that there's that big lot there on the corner of Dickson and Church. Then there's an LLC that comes along with that name. Although I suppose the Church could also be the last name of a developer or someone with the financing. But it would seem that whoever bought the lot on Dickson and Church also bought this property. Now like everyone else, I just have to wonder if it's for investment or if they actually have plans for these properties.

I believe the lot fronting Dickson between Block and Church is all one piece of property now- Barber got the alley between the streets vacated and made it one large lot. He also bought a smaller lot that only fronts Church for the deck after complaints about the height of Divinity, but I don't think it became an offcial part of the other land. This more of the information that is in the public domain but you have to go get it - I guess at the City Clerk's office.

I'd still like to see a limited service hotel built there. With the problems the Cosmopolitan is having and the Ren Tower not being built yet the downtown area seems a perfect place to put a Aloft or even a Doubletree Club in there.

I believe the lot fronting Dickson between Block and Church is all one piece of property now- Barber got the alley between the streets vacated and made it one large lot. He also bought a smaller lot that only fronts Church for the deck after complaints about the height of Divinity, but I don't think it became an official part of the other land. This more of the information that is in the public domain but you have to go get it - I guess at the City Clerk's office.

I'd still like to see a limited service hotel built there. With the problems the Cosmopolitan is having and the Ren Tower not being built yet the downtown area seems a perfect place to put a Aloft or even a Doubletree Club in there.

Yeah I do remember there being more land along Church Ave, but I guess I didn't realize that's a separate piece of property. I'm also with you on the hotel idea. Having a nice hotel in the Dickson/Downtown area would be nice. Preferably both. I wouldn't have any problems with a Divinity sized hotel on that property. But considering the outcry and also with the current economy I think you could put in a nice smaller hotel as well and do well.