IN PROGRESS: Capitol Cove

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Camera phone, plus a little Photoshop to make it less dark.

PS: check out how dead the trees look, especially the one on the right. Some mature trees were just cut down on Washington Place (replaced nicely, but the replacements aren't as mature of course) because they were planted wrong and reached a certain age and couldn't get enough water to sustain themselves. Looks like the same may be happening here. I think we're in a drought, but trees shouldn't do that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to the Hard Hat Tour here last week. The units look like they will be very nice, I can't afford them, but they look good.

Here's some info from the tour, keep in mind I was talking to real estate agents, not the developers:

The retail space on the Park Row end will for the time being be a fitness center for the residents. The agents talked up Phase II as if it were happening (again, agents, not the developers). If/when built, Phase II will sit between the current building and Smith Street along the river, I assume it will look very similar to the current building. Phase II will feature a "state of the art" fitness center and pool. If/when Phase II is built, the fitness center in the Phase I retail space will become a retail space, the agents said they were hoping for a market, at 1,100 sq. feet think Store 24 not Shaws.

They talked about the city dredging the river and the fact that WaterFire could move north along the Moshassuck. I'm thinking the city needs to desperately dredge the Woonasquatucket and the Moshassuck is far from a priority for the city.

The Riverwalk will extend along the front of the building. Currently there is a gap between Citizens and Park Row where the Riverwalk becomes a dirt track alongside the surface lot. It is unclear if that gap would be completed.

There will be a "private" barbeque area on the platform over the river where the site trailer currently sits. I must say I'm a little nervous about how welcoming to the public the Riverwalk area will be. I'm sure it will be open to the public in name, but in practice... we'll have to keep an eye on it.

There will be a street on the back side called Capitol Cove (Way, Street..?). The address for the building will be something Capitol Cove.

The agents were really talking up how you could choose a unit with East Side/park views (they kept calling it a National Park and saying how amazing it was to have National Park views in an urban setting, uh, OK) or "city views." I think they were careful not to say "State House views." Finally when we were on the State House side I asked, "so what's going to happen out there?" pointing to the muck hole between the building and the train station. They said oh Phase III will be a midrise building, "it won't be a highrise." Not sure what that means since there are no hard and fast definitions of those terms, but we can safely assume nothing of Waterplace's size I assume. They didn't speak of Phase III with as much surety as Phase II. I don't know if any of the other people on the tour were picking up what I was getting at, you won't have that State House view forever.

I asked what would happen between now and the future date when Phase III is built, they said it would be landscaped, the grade is being raised (not to street level) and there would be guest parking. Surface parking would require a variance from the Capital Center Commission. I don't know if they have that variance yet or not.

Building materials were described as brick, metal, and a stucco-like material ( <---dryvit?). Though at one point they slipped and actually called the stucco-like material stucco.

Some units have small Juliette balconies, though a few have balconies that you could at least put a chair and a tomato plant on, and others have ones you could put a small cafe table on.

There are one-story "brownstone" units on the river level that have steps to private entrances from the Riverwalk as well as direct access to the parking garage.

Some units have small Juliette balconies, though a few have balconies that you could at least put a chair and a tomato plant on, and others have ones you could put a small cafe table on.

There are one-story "brownstone" units on the river level that have steps to private entrances from the Riverwalk...

i was under the impression they were going to be "mid-range", which would put them right about where they are. personally, with this market, i don't see any reason for anyone to buy something that small for that price with what you can get in the neighborhoods now. the house i just bought was a steal and if the market is still going down into 2009 as they say, who's going to pay those prices? i see the draw being downtown and all, but still... you can get pretty good buys not far from downtown. but that's just my opinion. they are "mid-range" or "affordable" when you consider the prices of the other new condos downtown.

Yes i suppose compared to the Westin Condos (which are in the 400s, aren't they?) but I still think they are too high. Good luck sellin' em. I can get a two bedroom condo here in Fairfax County, which is one of the top overpriced markets in the country--still--for less than that.

Archived