Corewell Health - Monroe North Campus

I think Mlive did pretty good reporting in this article. Sounds like the city is at least reluctant. What I don’t understand is Corewell is saying that they need to knock down the buildings to replace parking that will be lost by a residents building and market rate housing project. But the original plan showed liner buildings, etc with housing and east of Ottawa wasn’t even in the original plans. So what parking are they replacing? Now I’m feeling skeptical. :)

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/10/corewell-health-wants-to-demolish-5-buildings-to-make-room-for-parking-for-new-downtown-campus.html

Joe

• Like 2

20 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think Mlive did pretty good reporting in this article. Sounds like the city is at least reluctant. What I don’t understand is Corewell is saying that they need to knock down the buildings to replace parking that will be lost by a residents building and market rate housing project. But the original plan showed liner buildings, etc with housing and east of Ottawa wasn’t even in the original plans. So what parking are they replacing? Now I’m feeling skeptical. :)

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/10/corewell-health-wants-to-demolish-5-buildings-to-make-room-for-parking-for-new-downtown-campus.html

Joe

Maybe this is too simple, but grant permission for surface lots and make stipulations that half must be built out within 5 years, and the other half within 10.

2 hours ago, whitemice said:

The Planning Commission / The City has no ability to make that kind of deal, practically.

1.) Corewell agrees

2.) Corewell doesn't follow through, for, of course, reasons: economic downturn, escalating costs, blah blah woof woof

3.) The city then does what?  Nothing, as there is nothing they can do.

Any corporation promising to The City to do something in the future is utterly completely totally absolutely meaningless

Technically they could barricade the parking lots and forbid Corewell from using them. But there's no way they would actually follow through with that. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, it's going to be tough. They could tell them to bring concrete proposals forward before allowing them to demolish (and do it in stages if the 2 projects are multiple years apart). But then they could just let the buildings sit and rot while they wait. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a story from MLive on the decision to table it.

“I see this as a progression,” Shannon said. “I don’t see it as these are going to be surface parking lots forever.

However, planning commissioner Laurel Joseph — who described Corewell’s request as “extreme” — countered Shannon’s point, saying, “they could be if we approve this.”

Love that the commissioners stood up against Corewell and surface lots. Let's hope they come back with something better.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/10/this-request-is-extreme-corewell-health-proposal-to-demolish-buildings-for-parking-lots-tabled.html

• Like 4

Yeah, at face value, I could understand what Susan Shannon was trying to say (basically, any surface lot should be seen as a prime location for development), where most of the others were saying don’t take long term plan and aspirations as gold. Show us, and even then, we can’t give you free rein. 

Again, I feel like it was a really good discussion, and good to see government in action. I don’t think a single commissioner was any development, but I got a real sense that they want it done right, and they aren’t going to rubber stamp the project just because developers have the best intentions of building something at some point. 

Im very pro-development (as are most of us), and this felt like a really intelligent decision to try and get it right  

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this does happen. They mentioned they were already in talks with developers (and any new building would have built in parking for the building, which further muddied the water on why they needed a bunch of surface lots). I think Corewell is going to have to come back (after chatting with associations, getting buy in, etc) and layout a solid master plan. Instead of the sort of "just trust us, we don't want a sea of surface lots (but in the interim, let us build a sea of surface lots)." :)

Joe

Corewell has the chance to help build a really connected and vibrant neighborhood. In which their presence is a positive. They need to be made aware of this opportunity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, Cookin_peacocks said:

If corewell was smart, they would include a concrete plan of a residential tower near its headquarters that would begin virtually immediately. Market it for their professionals that work next door and start from there. 

My thoughts exactly, especially with how difficult it is to recruit medical staff these days.  Downtown, walkable housing at cost would be a huge plus.  Go big too!  It will fill up immediately.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

6) No one hates Corewell for being there, and this isnt some anti-car thing. Everyone just doesnt want to sacrifice a significant area for perpetual used car lots that are not even open to the public, and will be empty after 5 and on the weekends.

Definitely some anti-car dialogue in this thread and within Strong Towns advocacy.  I'm pro-transit but realistic that car usage has to be accommodated and there's  a significant component here who don't live within that reality...

1 hour ago, cstonesparty said:

Definitely some anti-car dialogue in this thread and within Strong Towns advocacy.  I'm pro-transit but realistic that car usage has to be accommodated and there's  a significant component here who don't live within that reality...

I think what I've gathered from this thread is that we are fully against parking lots, especially when it comes to tearing down buildings for parking lots. It's realistic to know that parking will need to be part of the project, but plan for it, build it so it's more cohesive to a neighborhood instead of an office park in the suburbs. In this case, it would make sense to put a parking garage on those lots but on top should be residential with ground floor retail.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Zads said:

I think what I've gathered from this thread is that we are fully against parking lots, especially when it comes to tearing down buildings for parking lots. It's realistic to know that parking will need to be part of the project, but plan for it, build it so it's more cohesive to a neighborhood instead of an office park in the suburbs. In this case, it would make sense to put a parking garage on those lots but on top should be residential with ground floor retail.

Hell, I don't think it would be the end of the world to put a parking garage without those things (or even two of them!) at Bond and Fairbanks, in order to free up space for housing and retail along Ottawa, Trowbridge, and Newberry.  It's OK to have A Streets and B Streets in a neighborhood. 

What is not OK is just completely eliminating blocks from the urban fabric with huge surface lots. 

• Like 4