The Ones We Lost: What are your top 3?

distortedlogic

3 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

Let's keep in mind that there is ZERO reason why any of these old structures cannot be rebuilt.  Plenty of European neighborhoods were completely built again after World War II, as they had been before they were destroyed.  And plenty of 1890s-looking buildings are being built today (just look at NYC's Upper East Side, where there are plenty of examples).  Some others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Classical_architecture

If we miss the Ottaray Hotel, or the Woodside Building, or City Hall, then build them again.  What was built once can be built again.   Why are we letting the "2000s box" apartment buildings be built all over downtown when they'll look dated in 20 years, instead of re-building buildings in a style that has stood the test of time?

Before the courtyard hotel was built beside City Hall Mayor White had been pushing to have the old City Hall rebuilt. I would love to see it. It wouldn't quite be the same as having a building from the 1800s but  a replica could still look very nice. Classical well designed architectural elements are timeless after all.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't "one we lost," but it is somewhat related to this topic.  The image below is from an old postcard that claims the building is the "Court House" in "Greenville, S.C."  It appears to have been an artist's rendering, but I wondered if it may have been the architect's original design for the building?  Notice the extra floor with significantly attractive embellishments.  I have never seen a real photograph of this building with these features, but that is one floor I wish had "survived."

Screenshot_20210418-181238-01-01.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skyliner said:

This isn't "one we lost," but it is somewhat related to this topic.  The image below is from an old postcard that claims the building is the "Court House" in "Greenville, S.C."  It appears to have been an artist's rendering, but I wondered if it may have been the architect's original design for the building?  Notice the extra floor with significantly attractive embellishments.  I have never seen a real photograph of this building with these features, but that is one floor I wish had "survived."

Screenshot_20210418-181238-01-01.jpeg

Very cool pic, never seen that before.