The Republic Is Saved.

spenser1058

At least one Florida Republican has things all figured out:

”Erick Aguilar, a Republican running in Florida’s new 4th Congressional District, posits that former President Donald Trump “won” the 2022 Presidential Election.”

From Florida Politics

It’s scary to think we trust these people with guns, much less votes…

The Associated Press looks at the issue of ballot drop boxes and once again finds the GOPers are looking for problems that don’t exist:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/539591-no-major-problems-with-ballot-drop-boxes-in-2020-ap-finds/

From Florida Politics 

Gov. DeScandalous is the worst on this, saying how well Florida’s 2020 election went, without problems, but then several months later asked the Legislature to make it  harder for citizens to vote in the state.

That the burden falls hardest on those with fixed schedules (often service workers most likely not to vote Republican) is closer to the real issue, just as when the party tried to make it difficult for local election officials to include precincts on college campuses. 

Making it more difficult for citizens to vote is a return to Jim Crow tactics, regardless of who you’re trying to keep from voting. In a democracy, that’s wrong.

(10) AOC; (9) Roy Cooper -NC guv; (8) Gretchen Whitmer -MI guv; (7) Gavin Newsom; (6) The Bern; (5) Elizabeth Warren; (4) Amy Klobuchar; (3) Kamala;  (1) JOE-mentum.

It’s interesting Pritzker didn’t make the list (he seems to be the politico du jour) although I’d hate to look at that face for four years. Otoh, if he gives us all a free Hyatt stay, I’m in. Fun Fact: the Pritzkers were also involved with Baldwin Park.

Edited by spenser1058

I'm a guy who's very swayed towards politicians with great credentials. Trump had very few credentials and we see what that led to. Trump only had a bachelor's degree and no political experience. A GOP ticket that would have great credentials would be a Ron DeSantis/Tom Cotton ticket. Both are Harvard Law grads, both are current or former military officers and both have extensive political experience. I wouldn't vote Republican if you paid me, but I still acknowledge that would be a stacked ticket.

29 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I'm a guy who's very swayed towards politicians with great credentials. Trump had very few credentials and we see what that led to. Trump only had a bachelor's degree and no political experience. A GOP ticket that would have great credentials would be a Ron DeSantis/Tom Cotton ticket. Both are Harvard Law grads, both are current or former military officers and both have extensive political experience. I wouldn't vote Republican if you paid me, but I still acknowledge that would be a stacked ticket.

Ummmm, many of our problems with inequality and elitism have come with an overreliance on Ivy Leaguers in politics. 

I’d take a Harry Truman over a George W. Bush any day.

Reubin Askew and Lawton Chiles with their UF degrees (Askew’s undergrad, sadly, was at FSU)  were infinitely better governors than Ron DeSantis will ever be. Lawton Chiles ran circles around Tom Cotton as a US Senator.

Otoh, Secretary Mayor Pete went to Harvard (thank God he stayed out of Harvard Law) and was a military officer but I like to think his two terms as mayor of a recovering Rust Belt city gave him an empathy totally missing in the DeSantises and Cottons of the world.

LBJ, who went to school in Texas, got infinitely more legislation passed than JFK, the Harvard grad. We learned all about the fallacies of “The Best and the Brightest” in Vietnam.

Edited by spenser1058

23 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Ummmm, many of our problems with inequality and elitism have come with an overreliance on Ivy Leaguers in politics. 

I’d take a Harry Truman over a George W. Bush any day.

Reubin Askew and Lawton Chiles with their UF degrees were infinitely better governors than Ron DeSantis will ever be. Lawton Chiles (also UF) ran circles around Tom Cotton as a US Senator.

Otoh, Secretary Mayor Pete went to Harvard (thank God he stayed out of Harvard Law) and was a military officer but I like to think his two terms as mayor of a recovering Rust Belt city gave him an empathy totally missing in the DeSantises and Cottons of the world.

LBJ, who went to school in Texas, got infinitely more legislation passed than JFK, the Harvard grad. We learned all about the fallacies of “The Best and the Brightest” in Vietnam.

One Florida politician I like is FL House Representative Anna Eskamani (D). She went to UCF like my wife which is cool. I think she has a bright future and is bright spot in Florida politics.

• Like 2

Just now, orange87 said:

One Florida politician I like is FL House Representative Anna Eskamani (D). She went to UCF like my wife which is cool. I think she has a bright future and is bright spot in Florida politics.

Anna rocks and not just because I agree with her politics. She actually DOES things. When COVID cranked up and folks discovered what a mess Skeletor had made of Florida’s unemployment system, she was tireless in working with citizens (and not just her own constituents) to help them get through what had been designed as an intentional fiasco for everyday folks.

I’m excited she wants to be Orlando mayor - she’d actually get the city moving again. I’m happy to both contribute and volunteer on her campaigns.

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Anna rocks and not just because I agree with her politics. She actually DOES things. When COVID cranked up and folks discovered what a mess Skeletor had made of Florida’s unemployment system, she was tireless in working with citizens (and not just her own constituents) to help them get through what had been designed as an intentional fiasco for everyday folks.

I’m excited she wants to be Orlando mayor - she’d actually get the city moving again. I’m happy to both contribute and volunteer on her campaigns.

That reminds me of the idealistic young female Mayor of New Britain, CT named Erin Stewart. She's a liberal Republican. New Britain is a city of 75,000 people. It was once a thriving manufacturing town until all the jobs moved overseas. For decades the city decayed with blight, poverty and crime while fat cat career politicians who ran the city let the city rot. Then the energetic Erin Stewart came along, and has turned the city around. There's still a lot of work to do, but she has made so much progress for a city that was left for dead.

• Like 1

Just now, orange87 said:

That reminds me of the idealistic young female Mayor of New Britain, CT named Erin Stewart. She's a liberal Republican. New Britain is a city of 75,000 people. It was once a thriving manufacturing town until all the jobs moved overseas. For decades the city decayed with blight, poverty and crime while fat cat career politicians who ran the city let the city rot. Then the energetic Erin Stewart came along, and has turned the city around. There's still a lot of work to do, but she has made so much progress for a city that was left for dead.

That’s awesome- I am so awed by mayors who have a vision and get to work fixing things in their cities.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 1:33 PM, spenser1058 said:

(10) AOC; (9) Roy Cooper -NC guv; (8) Gretchen Whitmer -MI guv; (7) Gavin Newsom; (6) The Bern; (5) Elizabeth Warren; (4) Amy Klobuchar; (3) Kamala;  (1) JOE-mentum.

It’s interesting Pritzker didn’t make the list (he seems to be the politico du jour) although I’d hate to look at that face for four years. Otoh, if he gives us all a free Hyatt stay, I’m in. Fun Fact: the Pritzkers were also involved with Baldwin Park.

Three on the list are very old, two are very hated for good reason, three are okay and one has shown she is talentless. And of course, Mayor Pete. The DNC's future is bright! 

23 hours ago, orange87 said:

I think we have had enough of the Ivy League. This younger generation is the worst of the worst. 

23 hours ago, orange87 said:

I am still shocked you voted for Trump. 

Have you noticed lately that the term “Honest Republican “ has become an oxymoron?

First up, Dr. Oz, Cheetohead’s hand-picked nominee for Pennsylvania’s US Senator, decided to brag about his hunting prowess here in Florida. Just one problem, there’s no evidence the good doctor has ever been issued a hunting license in Florida. Your choice - was he (a) breaking the law or (b) lying about hunting? Enquiring minds want to know!

Next, we have Erick Aguilar, who’s running as a Republican for Congress in FL District 4, up around Jax.

Poor Erick was having problems raising money, so he hired a GOP consultant. Only problem is, the consultant was fired from Little Marco’s staff because he was requiring sexual favors from staffers in order to get raises or promotions.

But wait, there’s more! It seems these two upstanding citizens raised the money so donors thought they were contributing to DeSantis or Trump instead of Erick. The Grand Q Party is now feeding on itself and of course scamming their voters. 

Who could ask for anything more? Don’t worry, this is the party of “Dripping Rudy” and Roger Stone. You just know there will be more skullduggery to come!

From Florida Politics 

Edited by spenser1058

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Bannon is convicted - there is a just and fair God although I suspect he’ll get little more than a slap on the wrist.

It says the MINIMUM punishment is 30 days per count, and he was convicted of two counts. So he'll get a minimum of 60 days in jail. The max sentence is one year per count, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that he gets two years. Even 60 days will seem like eternity in jail I'd imagine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, orange87 said:

It says the MINIMUM punishment is 30 days per count, and he was convicted of two counts. So he'll get a minimum of 60 days in jail. The max sentence is one year per count, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that he gets two years. Even 60 days will seem like eternity in jail I'd imagine.

Especially since the MAGA crowd believes none of that applies to them - after all, they’re straight white males!

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Especially since the MAGA crowd believes none of that applies to them - after all, they’re straight white males!

It would be sweet if he got two years in general population. lol Now THAT would be hell. Imagine Steve Bannon getting beat up for his Ramen noodles. lol

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, orange87 said:

It would be sweet if he got two years in general population. lol Now THAT would be hell. Imagine Steve Bannon getting beat up for his Ramen noodles. lol

It’s also telling that he ran to FOX right after the verdict and trashed the process. I can’t wait for the prosecution to play that video at the sentencing. 

• Like 2

“A Pennsylvania woman who entered the U.S. Capitol during the Jan. 6, 2021, riot and later recorded herself saying she wanted to shoot House Speaker Nancy Pelosi “in the frigging brain” has been sentenced to 60 days behind bars. Dawn Lee Bancroft, 59, of Doylestown was also sentenced to three years probation and 100 hours of community service and ordered to pay a restitution of $500.”

Soooo.. what does the GOP do after she threatened the Speaker of the House? Why, they elected her to be a party committeewoman!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/22/jan6-capitol-pelosi-riot/

From The Washington Post 

You see, laws don’t apply to MAGA folks.

• Sad 1

Woohoo! I got my Vote By Mail ballot today despite the best efforts of the GOP to keep me from having one. I am their worst nightmare - I haven’t missed an election since the 1980’s and after the behavior of Rick Scott, Ron DeSantis and the Jan. 6 rioters, I will never vote for a Republican again. *

VOTE like the country depends on it - because it does.

* in case you’re wondering, yes I’ve voted for Republicans in the past but no more. Teresa Jacobs comes to mind - she’s a good person but if you lay down with dogs you get fleas. Sorry, Teresa.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

Depends on whether the judge orders consecutive or concurrent sentences.  

• Thanks 1