Triangle Ring Cities Thread

nicholas

• 5 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Very minor note, but while cruising June permits from across the area, I noticed something interesting: a permit application for new signage at the former Mason Jar Tavern in Holly Springs (114 Grand Hill Pl). The new tenant appears to be none other than Dave’s Hot Chicken, and would mark the chain’s first location in the Triangle. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

I’ll save everyone a click: it’s Norse Brewing of Wake Forest, now with a new location in Zebulon. There are no pictures in the news story. They call it a “Viking Longhouse concept,” yet a quick Google search reveals what looks like a very average brewery/gastropub.  

The Viking theme - be it truly executed or in name only - will do well with the Zebulon crowd, I imagine. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, rancenc said:

New shopping options in the works for Fuquay-Varina.

https://abc11.com/target-fuquay-varina-new-gold-leaf-crossing/14370339/

Saving everyone a click: 

We have final, officially official confirmation that a long-rumored Target store will indeed be the major anchor of Gold Leaf Crossing, to be located near Five Points in Fuquay (US 401/NC 42/NC 55 intersection). Plans show a footprint just short of 150K sq ft, roughly 10% larger than the Holly Springs store. (Also worth noting that the HS store is among the worst suburban Targets I’ve visited, and friends there are excited for a new option.) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How a $75 million infrastructure project in North Carolina could propel development along I-85

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2024/04/16/granville-county-i85-water-sewer-development-nc.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_45&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

In general this just pisses me off.  We have got to start aligning our growth aspirations with our transportation realities.  I-85 north of the I-885 interchange is two-lanes and frequently stop and go traffic, or just plain stopped.  Part of this is the age and condition of the overpasses in Durham County.   NCDOT has ZERO $ to improve 85 north of Durham and won't have $ for at least 20 years.  Transportation $$ in the Triangle are dedicated to the widening of I-40 and I-85 west of Durham (in the Durham MPO area).  

Fortunately, Butner's 2040 Plan does call for more connectivity and more overpasses (not more exits) over I-85 to help reduce the need for local traffic to use the interstate.  Butner 2040 also envisions bike and pedestrian connections over Falls Lake parallel to 85 to connect with Durham Greenways.   Development follows transportation.  Butner gets it.   Any town or city that doesn't prove that they have planned and have funding for transportation improvements should be penalized in some way. 

• Like 1