Virginia Beach Aquarium Expansion

vdogg

18 hours ago, Norva757 said:

They should expand the aquarium across the street where that parking is located at. 

Crossing a long elevated footbridge to get to different exhibits doesn't make sense to the museum.  They want people to be able to get to exhibits as succinctly as possible, thus the reason they are squeezing everything onto one side of the road.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 2:01 PM, urbanfan said:

Crossing a long elevated footbridge to get to different exhibits doesn't make sense to the museum.  They want people to be able to get to exhibits as succinctly as possible, thus the reason they are squeezing everything onto one side of the road.

You already have to walk a good distance from the old building to the new building that you have to walk outside to get to.....I never understood why they didn't expand the buildings on the land there....I understand they wanted the zip line but people are there to see marine life. I always hear how people from outside the region come to there and leave disappointed at what is there. It seems this area always come up short on things that even smaller metros do well.

• Like 1

I think you are missing the point the the outdoors there- the forest, the marsh, Owls Creek- is part of the museum and learning about marine life itself.  

The second (new) building is called the Owls Creek Pavilion.  Everything in there is to teach you about life around the creek. (Don’t know if it’s gonna stay that was after the renovation)

Everything in the main building (originally) teaches you about marine life starting from the rivers in the mountains (that literally is the first exhibit) past the fall line, in the Chesapeake bay, and out into the Norfolk Canyon in the Atlantic Ocean. 
   When they added the Restless Planet exhibit, that detour the path of the main story, but it’s still there.

The Restless Planet teaches you about Virginia’s prehistoric history (sounds weird) by connecting it to modern regions of the world that are in the same phases of existence that Virginia once was.

The museum has these big stories to tell that might be hidden in the causal patron.