Retail Trends That May Affect Central Florida

More ominous news from Brooks Brothers:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardkestenbaum/2020/06/09/brooks-brothers-is-likely-on-the-edge-of-bankruptcy/

From Forbes

At one point, BB experimented with selling its iconic goods in stores like Nordstrom. It didn’t go far at the time (the stock was very limited) 

If they are indeed on the way out (and that has happened more than once over the years, always pulling out army the last minute by selling it self to outfits like Marks & Spencer (the Brits’ Kmart where Maggie Thatcher bought her undies), it would be great for a quality name like Nordstrom to buy the name (and the quality) but letting the stores go.

So many firms are sliding (et tu, LL Bean?)  but Nordstrom (still run by the family) carries on. I guess there are more trips to Jax in my future...

The latest is Simon & Brookfield (mall owners) May invest to bring JCPenney and possibly Brooks Brothers back from the brink.

They may be assisted by Authentic, who owns Forever 21 as a result of a previous similar deal.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/simon-brookfield-reportedly-may-buy-jc-penne

From The Street 

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The latest is Simon & Brookfield (mall owners) May invest to bring JCPenney and possibly Brooks Brothers back from the brink.

They may be assisted by Authentic, who owns Forever 21 as a result of a previous similar deal.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/simon-brookfield-reportedly-may-buy-jc-penne

From The Street 

This is an interesting turn.  If mall owners buy up all their tenants, it'll be one big department store again! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Will Winn-Dixie be the next brand to leave its baggage laden history behind? What would you call it? Winn-No Dixie? Winn-South? Enquiring minds want to know!
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/winn-dixie-parent-company-not-ruling-out-a-name-change

From Jax Daily Record

Time to pull Sweetbay or- gulp- Kash ‘N Karry out of the archive. The logos are already done!

14 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Time to pull Sweetbay or- gulp- Kash ‘N Karry out of the archive. The logos are already done!

Those were owned by Belgium’s Delhaize Group, I think, instead of SEG, although they might sell the names to them.

They could go back to Lovett’s or my favorite Kwik Chek (which is where their Chek soft drinks come from).

While on the subject of private label products, W-D used to have a manufacturing plant up in Seminole County. How ‘bout Crackin’ Good or Deep South for a name?

Edited by spenser1058

The mall apocalypse continues this week. In addition to the travails of JCPenney, GNC is filing for bankruptcy. Also, Signet Jewelers, which owns most of the mall jewelers like Kay and Zale’s that you know, will not reopen a scad of locations post-COVID.

Most distressingly, Chuck E. Cheese is closing a number of locations. It’s time to get Baby @codypet out to one before it’s too late!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/27/business/stores-closing-coronavirus-june/index.html

From CNN

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s official - add Brooks Brothers to the list of retailers who have declared bankruptcy. 51 stores will close (about 20% of the total); the list has not been released but a previously noted the Palm Beach store would close in Florida.

Fortunately, it is currently in encumbered by crushing debt imposed by PIFs; rather, overexpansion in pricey malls seems to be more of a problem along with the relaxed dress codes and work at home models businesses are increasingly adopting.

In Orlando, BB has a full-line store at Millenia and outlet stores at both of Simon’s outlet malls.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/brooks-brothers-files-for-bankruptcy-as-it-seeks-buyer-closes-stores.html

From CNBC

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/8/2020 at 9:29 AM, spenser1058 said:

It’s official - add Brooks Brothers to the list of retailers who have declared bankruptcy. 51 stores will close (about 20% of the total); the list has not been released but a previously noted the Palm Beach store would close in Florida.

Fortunately, it is currently in encumbered by crushing debt imposed by PIFs; rather, overexpansion in pricey malls seems to be more of a problem along with the relaxed dress codes and work at home models businesses are increasingly adopting.

In Orlando, BB has a full-line store at Millenia and outlet stores at both of Simon’s outlet malls.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/brooks-brothers-files-for-bankruptcy-as-it-seeks-buyer-closes-stores.html

From CNBC

This was posted today from their general counsel

"Today, courtroom hearing, First day, Page 1, Chapter 11: we received an unprecedented DIP financing loan with a 0% interest rate/no fees. Never been done before in these circumstances. This is an important step forward to ensuring our iconic brand and our 200-year legacy continues. Let's go Brooks!"

It was announced a while back that Target was expanding its driveup service to add 750 fresh and frozen goods. The report said, however, that the rollout was going to the Midwest for now, though.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I noticed driveup is now an option for many of those items at my E. Colonial Le Tarjay. Apparently it’s a soft opening for us because it doesn’t advertise it anywhere.

Meanwhile, I’ve noted before I like our E. Colonial store much better than the SoDo Super Target. That was mostly because E. Colonial is easier to get to from downtown and the team members tend to be friendlier.

Because I use pickup and drive up, I had not actually shopped the E. Colonial store. However, as I priced fresh items I was surprised just how much space grocery now has in our 30-year old but recently remodeled former Gold Triangle.

To me, it’s a lot less dreary than SoDo and the only thing I really buy at Publix anymore are Pub Subs and seafood which makes my conscience clearer (Publix’ politics make Hobby Lobby and Chick-Fil-A seem downright progressive by comparison).

I would like a Target downtown but none are on the horizon. For now, it’s just a short hop to Maguire.

Edited by spenser1058

I order a lot of stuff online and it’s always fun when the order arrives in the mail or, in the case of Target they bring my bags to the car, to see if they throw in a little something extra. Or, as they say in N’awlins, a bit of “lagniappe”.

Today, I got my order of soap from Harry’s (the “shiso” fragrance is wonderful) and they threw in a 1 oz. bottle of Harry’s brand hand sanitizer. Quite appropriate for the pandemic, right?

At Target, it’s always something different. I’ve gotten gummi bears, fruit-flavored drink powder, coupons and, most recently, Tide pods (note to kids: eat the gummi bears and NOT the Tide pods, even if the president says otherwise!)

What sorts of freebies have you gotten with your orders or do you stick to bricks and mortar shopping to keep the real estate developers from panicking?

Edited by spenser1058

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I order a lot of stuff online and it’s always fun when the order arrives in the mail or, in the case of Target they bring my bags to the car, to see if they throw in a little something extra. Or, as they say in N’awlins, a bit of “lagniappe”.

Today, I got my order of soap from Harry’s (the “shiso” fragrance is wonderful) and they threw in a 1 oz. battle of Harry’s brand hand sanitizer. Quite appropriate for the pandemic, right?

At Target, it’s always something different. I’ve gotten gummi bears, fruit-flavored drink powder, coupons and, most recently, Tide pods (note to kids: eat the gummi bears and NOT the Tide pods, even if the president says otherwise!)

What sorts of freebies have you gotten with your orders or do you stick to bricks and mortar shopping to keep the real estate developers from panicking?

How modern of you. I have not tried store pick-up or delivery yet even though I hate shopping... it literally drains my energy lol. I guess I haven't hopped on the bandwagon yet because by the time I realize I need groceries I don't want to wait 24 hours to submit an order. Plus I try to purchase the longest exp date on perishables and I don't think the picker pays attention to stuff like that. Any tips for pick-up or delivery?

59 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

How modern of you. I have not tried store pick-up or delivery yet even though I hate shopping... it literally drains my energy lol. I guess I haven't hopped on the bandwagon yet because by the time I realize I need groceries I don't want to wait 24 hours to submit an order. Plus I try to purchase the longest exp date on perishables and I don't think the picker pays attention to stuff like that. Any tips for pick-up or delivery?

Target drive-up is really easy. You just order it from the app and they send you an email/text telling you when it’s ready (usually within two hours unless it’s late in the day). Then you tell them you’re coming and they’re often walking out to the car by the time I get there. They now do some fresh/frozen stuff in addition to staples but that part is still working out the kinks. Tbh, drive-up is the main reason I’ve been able to wean myself off Publix.

It’s a free service, no minimum order and they don’t expect a tip - they’re regular Target team members, not tipped employees (although I usually do if I remember to carry cash and especially if they’re cute!), unlike Shipt or Instacart.

I find the E. Colonial folks friendlier but SoDo has access to more items. The remodeled E. Colonial store is also nicer than SoDo imo.

Don’t forget - you can link a Target REDcard to your checking account and get an extra 5% off everything (plus Target Circle savings - there’s a Target credit card that has it also but I don’t use credit anymore).

I am notoriously awful about anything to do with technology but Target makes it so easy even a Luddite like me could figure it out.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

What may very well be the end of an era:

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/article/oh-brothers-where-art-thou-charting-the-demise-of-brooks-brothers/

One group wants to preserve Brooks and its heritage, just more efficiently; a more recent bid by Italian investors (supported by Chinese and other international funds) wants to “save” the 200-year old fading titan of American haberdashery by pretty much destroying everything but the name.

As a devotee (and onetime employee) of the Golden Fleece, it’s a sad time.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/article/oh-brothers-where-art-thou-charting-the-demise-of-brooks-brothers/

From the Gentleman’s Journal

12 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

You're definitely not going to get your level of pro shopping.  I know I'm the same.

However, I've thrown that out the door for staying out of the store.  I've done several now and find them to generally be great.  They aren't me and they never will be me, but they are good enough for this mess.

To answer Spense, I don't get free stuff in mine.  Except once when I inexplicably got a pack of 8 small strawberry applesauce tubs.  I think that was just an error.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Target drive-up is really easy. You just order it from the app and they send you an email/text telling you when it’s ready (usually within two hours unless it’s late in the day). Then you tell them you’re coming and they’re often walking out to the car by the time I get there. They now do some fresh/frozen stuff in addition to staples but that part is still working out the kinks. Tbh, drive-up is the main reason I’ve been able to wean myself off Publix.

It’s a free service, no minimum order and they don’t expect a tip - they’re regular Target team members, not tipped employees (although I usually do if I remember to carry cash and especially if they’re cute!), unlike Shipt or Instacart.

I find the E. Colonial folks friendlier but SoDo has access to more items. The remodeled E. Colonial store is also nicer than SoDo imo.

Don’t forget - you can link a Target REDcard to your checking account and get an extra 5% off everything (plus Target Circle savings - there’s a Target credit card that has it also but I don’t use credit anymore).

I am notoriously awful about anything to do with technology but Target makes it so easy even a Luddite like me could figure it out.

I get my Target order delivered via Shipt. They shop the SODO store, which gives me a lot more selection than the E. Colonial store right around the corner from my house.  I have the Target app on the home screen of my phone, and use my cart as a shopping list - just adding to it as I think of something or run out of something, then once a week or so, I will sit down, add whatever else I need, and order.  It's to my door in a couple of hours.  There are a couple of ways to handle items that are out of stock - I choose having the shopper text me about substitutions, which works well. I have had mixed luck with that issue when ordering Whole Foods/Amazon, in that the substitution may have looked okay, but didn't really fulfill my needs once it got home (i.e. getting coconut milk when I ordered coconut cream.)   I have never had anything missing in a Target order, when I have had an item missing in both of the Whole Foods/Amazon orders I made. 

• Like 1

It has been making a comeback for a while. I remember Artisan's had it on their lunch salad when they were in their Pine St. location and even Panera has it on a chicken salad now. Ranch with more oomph...

Btw, make your own-

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014134-green-goddess-dressing

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-classic-green-goddess-dressing-242169

• Like 1

Publix will have company this year - Target and Walmart have announced they will be closed on Thanksgiving:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/07/27/target-black-friday-deals-start-october-stores-closed-thanksgiving-coronavirus/5516887002/

From USA Today 

Make sure to stock up on groceries early ahead of your feast!