Street Art and Murals

I've been thinking a lot about public/ street art in GR lately.  The letter project thing they did to the signal boxes downtown is really cool.  I wish there was more street art and wonder how someone could influence or affect that or support it?

There are some prime spots that would be awesome I think....where would you put up some art in the city? I think...

The Hutchinson tower thing at Fuller and 1-96 would be a great welcome to downtown.

image.thumb.png.bf6a73aae0b05910d7faa92103f8fe35.png

This wall coming off of 96 onto Ottawa should have something:

image.thumb.png.0ec223069ec1efb1c5bc4292fa9a3748.png

When does public art become out dated and need to be replaced? (cough cough belknap mural from 1982)...no one from outside the city knows what this is, hardly anyone from inside the city would either tbh.

image.thumb.png.7fa94b0bb0f4735f2c9333110c56dc12.png

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 5:54 AM, grandrollerz said:

image.thumb.png.7fa94b0bb0f4735f2c9333110c56dc12.png

I agree this should get a reboot.  I remember riding by here as a child and thinking Campau and his wife looked like skeletons... which they still kind of do

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Looks like a number of new murals are going up throughout the city.

https://downtowngr.org/announcements/2020/07/womens-way

Also, the new welcome mural by the new MSU building looks great, but the colors bring to mind a big block M, which feels odd. I'll try to get an updated pic as I think it is complete now716b5df4a4955502a6c5153623df5792.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don’t think it does now that it’s done. There is some orange and white mixed in. I definitely did not think of the block M when I saw it. 

The funny thing is I was driving that intersection with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago and remarked how much I wish a mural would go up there, I came back from vacation a week later and it was almost done. Haha.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Looks like a number of new murals are going up throughout the city.

https://downtowngr.org/announcements/2020/07/womens-way

Also, the new welcome mural by the new MSU building looks great, but the colors bring to mind a big block M, which feels odd. I'll try to get an updated pic as I think it is complete now716b5df4a4955502a6c5153623df5792.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The "grass" looks great too, very welcoming:tw_neutral:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there are three new murals going in on Michigan Street. I got this photo of the one at Michigan and Fuller on the Old Kent County Republicans building, which is ironically now check cashing business. There's a new one going in on the old Cork and cap on Michigan and diamond, and then another one on Michigan Street on bobs bar.

looking good GR015a6a9aa49b2df5a86b84f2df7abbea.jpg

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...