Ballantyne Village

StevenRocks

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you all see this Q/A in the Observer?

"

Q: Richard, I read (I think on charlotte.com) that the Carolina Place Mall was considering paying for freeway entrance/exit improvements from 485 for access to the Mall. Can private entities really do this? If so, can the Ballantyne developers pay to have the flyover completed at Johnston and 485? You would think with all the high-falutin' people who live down there, the developers would want them to have a quality of life that doesn't have them sitting in a line for 20 minutes just to get on the freeway! Thanks! Anonymous, Charlotte, NC 2/16/07

A: Yes, they can do things like that, and perhaps that might happen in Ballantyne/Johnston Road. Obviously, there are various levels of approval that would be needed, because it's a state-owned federal highway. This same scenario will likely play out in north Mecklenburg, on the proposed new exit at Westmoreland Road. Richard Rubin 2/16/07

"

(Source: 2/3 of the way down this page, if it still works: http://tinyurl.com/325k9t )

Interesting thought. Anybody want to write the Ballantyne developers and ask them about it? Maybe they should pay to build Community House across 485 as well, while they're at it.

As somebody who lives just south of Ballantyne, I can tell you that the area is already ruined by too much development without the proper infrastructure. And they're not even close to being done.

^ Good find. While $34 million is not as much as I would have thought, it still puts into perspective how expensive any highway project is when you add in the grading, paving, bridges, and overpasses for a given section, the LRT project seems nearly insignificant in comparsion. Then again I am biased. </off topic>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I hate to see it too. So much sprawl, and so artificial. My first camping trip ever was with the Boy Scouts in the present Ballentyne area almost 40 years ago. There used to be road called Gold Hill Road, or something like that, near there. So bucolic and scenic back then. We had to hike about 3-4 mile back in order to get to our campsite. My mom was actually born in a cabin not far from there in 1926. What a difference a few years makes.

• 2 weeks later...

There's an interview in the latest issue of Ballantyne Magazine with the architects of the new 10 story towers. There going for LEED certification (it doesn't indicate what level). They also seem to be thinking ahead (maybe too far ahead). They're incorporating dedicated parking spaces for hybrid vehicles with electric outlets for recharging. Too bad plug-in hybrids aren't a reality yet, although a handful of Prius owners have converted their cars to incorporate plug-in capability. Maybe they meant to say golf carts.

There's an interview in the latest issue of Ballantyne Magazine with the architects of the new 10 story towers. There going for LEED certification (it doesn't indicate what level). They also seem to be thinking ahead (maybe too far ahead). They're incorporating dedicated parking spaces for hybrid vehicles with electric outlets for recharging. Too bad plug-in hybrids aren't a reality yet, although a handful of Prius owners have converted their cars to incorporate plug-in capability. Maybe they meant to say golf carts.

• 4 weeks later...

Again, probably not in Ballantyne Village itself, but below are some photos of the new office "towers". Let me know if there is a better thread for these. Thanks.

View from just outside Monty's (formerly Providence Bistro).

2007-07-23buildings001.jpg

2007-07-23buildings002.jpg

View from Ballantyne Commons Parkway, at the east end of the site.

2007-07-23buildings004.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

They're right. Our company is located in Ballantyne and when bringing people in, it's more and more difficult to find hotels for them. The StayBridge and Courtyard are frequently sold out, as are the Residence Inn at Piper Glen, and even the Pineville hotels (next exit down from us). The Resort usually sells out last due to the high price, but a lot of the time, we just have to buck up and put people there because there's no other option. Probably three more mid-market hotels are really needed to satisfy demand.

Archived