Events in Orlando

jrs2

The City of Orlando is having an electronics and textile recycling event this Saturday, August 13 from 9-1 at Festival Park (2911 E Robinson Street)

The old tv and small shopping bag of old phones is already in my car so I won't forget!

Electronic Items

• Computer Monitors
  • Televisions (one per house hold)
  • Telephones 
  • Cell Phones
  • Telephone Systems
  • Fax Machines
  • Central Office Equipment
  • Rechargeable Batteries
  • Electronic Circuit Boards and Components
  • Stereo Equipment
  • Games
  • PDA's
  • Printers

Textiles

• Clothes
  • Shoes
  • Home textiles (towels, sheets, curtains, etc)
  • Stuffed Toys
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TUESDAY IS THE DAY - POLLS OPEN 7am-7pm. 

NPAs (aka Independents), remember there are several nonpartisan things to vote for like judges, OCPS funds extension and OC Mayor/Commission races.

Some legislative races also don’t have opposition from the other party so you can vote in the primary for those, too.

DON’T JUST STAND THERE- GO VOTE! (If you already early voted or by mail. bless you!)

Vice President Kamala Harris to attend Artemis moon launch
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/artemis/os-bz-nasa-artemis-vice-president-kamala-harris-to-attend-launch-20220826-tyv2k4ztgbarhinekmjzotrupm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

The Launch Window opens at 8:30 am Monday. Second gentleman Doug Emhoff will also be there. I wonder if Bill Nelson will be? He turned up at services at FUMCO a couple of Sundays ago!

“The YMCA of Central Florida will be inviting residents to try their facilities free of charge in September as part of a new initiative. 

Free Fridays will take place every Friday during the month of September and will allow residents to visit any and all YMCA locations in the region for no charge. That includes access to wellness centers, group exercise classes, pools, gyms, family programs, and more…”

From Bungalower 

Remember, joining the Y doesn’t just get you in shape. Your membership also provides great programs for kids and seniors in the community. I joined the Y back when I was just a pup (I was even in Indian Guides!) and am still going strong (when I started, the Sterchi Family Center on Mills was new - and a good bit smaller).

I can’t wait to check out the new Y in the Packing District once it opens.

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/29/ymca-of-central-florida-launches-free-fridays-initiative/

Edited by spenser1058

On 8/26/2022 at 5:42 PM, spenser1058 said:

Vice President Kamala Harris to attend Artemis moon launch
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/artemis/os-bz-nasa-artemis-vice-president-kamala-harris-to-attend-launch-20220826-tyv2k4ztgbarhinekmjzotrupm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

The Launch Window opens at 8:30 am Monday. Second gentleman Doug Emhoff will also be there. I wonder if Bill Nelson will be? He turned up at services at FUMCO a couple of Sundays ago!

Wonder if they'll be back on Friday?

The History Center is going to take a look at Orlando’s ‘90’s concert scene:

History center exhibit to celebrate ‘90s concert scene, Orlando subculture
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/os-et-history-center-orlando-music-scene-1990s-figurehead-20220904-bg2uft7qyvfslm2nlnm437qhsm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

The History Center seems to have figured out how to get right up to the line of edgy without crossing over. I continue to be excited about their success. They’ve done great work on important events and groups like the  LGBTQ+ community (including the Pulse tragedy) and the Ocoee Massacre.

There are also workaday history camps for the kids and game nights. When you think about a well-rounded, well-run museum, OCRHC is it.

We often complain about what’s broken in Orlando, but the museum and its next door neighbor, OCLS, are getting it right.

Edited by spenser1058

I love the history center! For a couple years my office was at 1 N Orange Ave. When the history center had their grand opening a couple of us walked over for it. Imagine my surprise when I saw the history center brochure with my daughters photo on it! She'd gone to a Christmas break camp at the science center and one of the days there they had a pioneer day so there was my kid looking very Little House on the Prairie-ish. :tw_love:

Also, every January you can go pick up the free city of Orlando photo contest calendar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Free concerts in the heart of Orlando that you likely never knew about
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-lutheran-towers-sunday-live-20221006-jquunofopzbxbcbztcnysejzim-story.html

From The Sentinel

@dwSouthEola, have you been hiding these from us <g>?

They’re in the chapel atop the Orlando Lutheran Towers. There was an actual church up there for many years (apparently, the Towers were built on the site of the congregation and that was part of the deal), but they decommissioned the church as attendance dwindled over the years.

The idea of putting the church on top of the tower apparently came from a similar arrangement from a building in Honolulu.

On 10/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, spenser1058 said:

have you been hiding these from us

Nope. While a lot of people like to play fast and loose with stuff like maps and boundaries, Lutheran Towers is actually in the CBD not South Eola. Aside from where South Eola extends to include Lake Eola Park, our neighborhood runs from Summerlin Ave to Lake Ave (and Robinson to the 408).

13 minutes ago, dwSouthEola said:

Nope. While a lot of people like to play fast and loose with stuff like maps and boundaries, Lutheran Towers is actually in the CBD not South Eola. Aside from where South Eola extends to include Lake Eola Park, our neighborhood runs from Summerlin Ave to Lake Ave (and Robinson to the 408).

Oh, I don’t know. The mayor of WG, back when it wasn’t growing and Ocoee was bursting at the seams, liked to accuse Ocoee Mayor Scott Vandergriff of putting the city limits signs on wheels and going out and pushing them toward WG every night. The WG mayor said he had to get up every morning bright and early and go out and push them back… 

That, of course, was before my beloved Cousin Rusty became Ocoee mayor and he’d never dream of such a thing!

Mayor Scott was best remembered for trying to bring back the old Star-Lite Drive In Theater near the old Britt mansion halfway between Ocoee and WG.

• Haha 1

“Certified YIMBY” M. Nolan Gray will be discussing his book about how urban zoning needs significant changes:

https://bungalower.com/2022/10/14/certified-yimby-m-nolan-gray-hosting-talk-at-ucf-downtown/

From Bungalower 

It’s Oct 27 at DPAC (Dr Phillips Academic Commons) at UCF Downtown. The free moderated discussion begins at 6pm.

Reach For the Stars!

Edited by spenser1058