East Memphis and University District News & Developments

VSRJ

On 11/12/2023 at 9:13 AM, James Owen said:

Some promising news in regards to the future of Oak Court Mall in East Memphis:

Developers of Shops of Saddle Creek to acquire Oak Court Mall

By Sophia Surrett, Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/39731/memphis-poag-development-group-oak-court-mall-memphis-shops-of-saddle-creek

For those unfamiliar with Poag, they also played a role in the development of what is now Tanger Outlets in Southaven. The company also currently owns Carriage Crossing in Collierville.

Fingers crossed. I think there is plenty of potential there to do something that both benefits from and fuels more growth and activity in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

These look nice — it's exciting to see the growth on the Park Avenue campus!

U of M, developer to build on-campus apartments for 500+ students

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metroeducation/article/40212/university-of-memphis-apartment-style-housing-student-the-annex-group

park.thumb.jpg.1c5da0c006aabd20df73a8f2a7c3473e.jpg

By the fall of 2026, the University of Memphis will be able to offer 540 students on-campus apartments without the financial risk of the construction.

In a deal with The Annex Group based in Indianapolis, the university will provide the land for construction on its Park Avenue campus. The Annex Group will own the facility until it is paid off or the university chooses to buy it.

This is the first time the university has entered into such an agreement.

The apartments will be built behind the university’s Loewenberg College of Nursing on Park Avenue and near its soccer and baseball fields for the convenience of athletes who will be able to live close to training facilities.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://dailymemphian.com/section/businessreal-estate/article/40764/a?utm_campaign=comments2024-01-02&utm_content=poplarcorridor

Five years after getting $91.2 million in financing, the project to upgrade the Poplar Avenue corridor is being launched.

The first phase of the project is a facelift along Ridgeway Road and Shady Grove Road between Park Place Centre and Briarcrest...

I thought this was interesting in the article. 

The TIF district encompasses the Poplar corridor from I-240 to Kirby Parkway. The association has several projects planned for the area:

• A mixed-use development consisting of office, retail and hotel on Briarcrest Avenue;
  • An office development on International Place;
  • An office development at 860 Ridge Lake Blvd;
  • A senior living apartment development at 6300 Briarcrest Ave.;
  • And a mixed-use development consisting of office, retail and hotel space at 5900 Poplar Ave. 

On 1/2/2024 at 3:16 PM, JTM1 said:

https://dailymemphian.com/section/businessreal-estate/article/40764/a?utm_campaign=comments2024-01-02&utm_content=poplarcorridor

Five years after getting $91.2 million in financing, the project to upgrade the Poplar Avenue corridor is being launched.

The first phase of the project is a facelift along Ridgeway Road and Shady Grove Road between Park Place Centre and Briarcrest...

The TIF district encompasses the Poplar corridor from I-240 to Kirby Parkway. The association has several projects planned for the area:

• A mixed-use development consisting of office, retail and hotel on Briarcrest Avenue;
  • And a mixed-use development consisting of office, retail and hotel space at 5900 Poplar Ave. 

Are there any renderings of this work? I actually posted something last year I believe, about this area of Poplar having infill to grow more with those surface lots and limited land avaliable. Amazing. 

Poplar Corridor Developments in progress 

• Oak Court Mall being bought, more likely to get redevelopment. 

• MidCity Development at the old Racquet Club site with a couple of midrises possible.

• The TIF planned in this article.

• The Carrefour at Germantown development. 

There's also Perkin Flats that's about to start construction behind Soul Fish on Poplar. 5 story apartment building 

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 3:16 PM, JTM1 said:

The senior living development - known as HarborChase of Germantown (despite the fact it's in the Memphis city limits) - is already completed, so I'm not sure why it's still listed there.

I think we're all curious to see what the two mixed-use developments will look like, and hopefully the hotel components will compliment the Hilton and Marriott hotels that are already there as opposed to being another run-of-the-mill, limited-service hotel like the ones we already have.

1 hour ago, TheKernel91 said:

Are there any renderings of this work? I actually posted something last year I believe, about this area of Poplar having infill to grow more with those surface lots and limited land avaliable. Amazing. 

• MidCity Development at the old Racquet Club site with a couple of midrises possible.

There's also Perkin Flats that's about to start construction behind Soul Fish on Poplar. 5 story apartment building 

I suspect we'll know more about the redevelopment plans for Oak Court Mall and the former Racquet Club property in short order in the coming months as the area has the potential to be like Green Hills in Nashville if done properly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

I haven't seen any renderings, but the Daily Memphian  posted an image of the parcels. 

Screenshot (206).png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, James Owen said:

The senior living development - known as HarborChase of Germantown (despite the fact it's in the Memphis city limits) - is already completed, so I'm not sure why it's still listed there.

I think we're all curious to see what the two mixed-use developments will look like, and hopefully the hotel components will compliment the Hilton and Marriott hotels that are already there as opposed to being another run-of-the-mill, limited-service hotel like the ones we already have.

I suspect we'll know more about the redevelopment plans for Oak Court Mall and the former Racquet Club property in short order in the coming months as the area has the potential to be like Green Hills in Nashville if done properly.

I am definitely curious. 

On 1/4/2024 at 6:27 PM, James Owen said:

I hope so. There's so much potiental. Especially how Laurelwood across street from the Mall has redeveloped and stabilized. That area does remind me alot of Green Hills. I believe the retail and commercial market will get stronger as properties are being invested. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

University of Memphis is planning a new business school building at Central and Patterson. More info here: https://fcbebuilding.memphis.edu/

University of Memphis dean Bobby Garrett on the Fogelman College of Business and Economics' new complex

In a few years, if all goes according to plan, a new complex with a distinctive building is set to be a Central Avenue gateway to the University of Memphis.

Right now, when you go down Central Avenue from west to east, it can be difficult to tell when you’ve hit the U of M’s campus. Bobby Garrett, Ph.D., who is the new dean of the U of M's Fogelman College of Business and Economics (FCBE) wants to change that.

“We want this new building to be a symbolic portal to campus,” said Garrett, who became FCBE dean in August. “To be something grand and impressive where people go, ‘What are they doing over there? That looks like a cool building.’ [Then being able to say], ‘That's the University of Memphis business school.’”

fcbe2.thumb.jpg.17949260526bf3e2c2c6edf5972b5618.jpg

fcbeexterior_900xx1329-749-0-0.png.117ca3b8a42b5cc357c5278f087ee96c.png

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Building permit pulled for AC Hotels on Poplar:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2024/03/21/ac-hotels-permit-poplar-baywood-marriott-flag.html

A building permit valued at $10 million for a new-to-market hotel flag has been filed with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development.

Maryland-based Baywood Hotels filed the new construction permit to build a 116-room AC Hotels by Marriott at 6582 Poplar Ave.

• Like 1