LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

The 1-year OC Rent Control referendum took another step toward the ballot today, even as firebrand commissioner Emily Bonilla bemoans that its teeth have mostly been pulled out.

She’s right, but J’ve always viewed this as mostly a shot across the bow to the Real Estate Industrial Compkex that we’re a blue county now and Ted Edwards and Harris Rosen aren’t running the show anymore.

Ms. Bonilla is quick to call out behind the scenes tricks by the developer/tourism cabal and, as a result Tuesdays in the Brick Bunker are quite lively compared to the Monday Naptimes under the Dome two blocks over.

@jrs2loves the anarchy and we’re likely going to see more over the next few years as we look to see actual citizens running the county rather than out of town suits.

“The Orange County Commission approved an ordinance to set a public hearing and final vote for Aug. 9 for a ballot measure seeking limited rent control in a county experiencing what the ordinance calls “a housing emergency so grave as to constitute a serious menace to the general public.”

The commission’s split vote advances a proposal championed by Commissioner Emily Bonilla.”

From Florida Politics 

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/541664-orange-county-advances-rent-control-proposal/

Edited by spenser1058

I, for the most part, stay away from political discussions in this group. It's not that I am apolitical- one of my undergrads is in PoliSci and I am very vocal in my chosen spaces. However, wtf is the rationale of Desantis attacking a drag show in S. FL. I'm assuming the children that were there were accompanied by the parental units. Is the "R" party now of the position that parent are not best situated to make decisions on how to raise their children? And btw, if an individual chose to live a "trans" life, is that and agenda...? 

I think this will be one of the many crusades he has chosen that will hurt him with the general populace should he chose to run nationally. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/fl-ne-drag-show-complaint-20220727-nlpshiyjsjat7l77u3nqlyhwku-story.html

36 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I, for the most part, stay away from political discussions in this group. It's not that I am apolitical- one of my undergrads is in PoliSci and I am very vocal in my chosen spaces. However, wtf is the rationale of Desantis attacking a drag show in S. FL. I'm assuming the children that were there were accompanied by the parental units. Is the "R" party now of the position that parent are not best situated to make decisions on how to raise their children? And btw, if an individual chose to live a "trans" life, is that and agenda...? 

I think this will be one of the many crusades he has chosen that will hurt him with the general populace should he chose to run nationally. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/fl-ne-drag-show-complaint-20220727-nlpshiyjsjat7l77u3nqlyhwku-story.html

It’s hypocrisy at its finest but I admit the Sun Sentinel really didn’t help with context on the article. I can think of a dozen questions unanswered.

I am fully aware that the right has also declared war on something as innocent as a drag queen reading children’s stories in local libraries, so I’d like to see more about this. I’d start with local regulations on this as well as what the police and local government say about it.

As for Governor DeSantis’ continuing culture wars instead of addressing real problems we have, that pretty much lets you know what his priorities are.

It’s also sad a man who won by 32000 votes out of several million cast is going to great lengths to ignore half the state. Thankfully, we have a much better alternative for the next four years - we just have to take it.

Edited by spenser1058

I was going to support Randolph Bracy for the Democratic nomination to CD10 (Val Demings’ old seat), because he’s a good guy and has ok name recognition (positive NR unlike Alan Grayson who’s crawled out from under a slimy rock again). However, it’s Maxwell Alejandro Frost who’s turning out to be the fighter we need. Best of all, both Anna Eskamani and Carlos G Smith have endorsed Frost (it sure don’t hurt he has the last name of one of our best football coaches ever!) so I’m proud to add my support.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/542344-maxwell-frost-turns-ron-desantis-rebuke-into-cd-10-tv-ad/

From Florida Politics 

We’re not alone -Tampa is seeking a referendum to cap rent increases also. If this continues, all the doom and gloom right-wingers who say developers will leave these jurisdictions won’t have any urban Florida counties left. As if that’s going to happen. We should also add that the max on these caps is one year, which gives everyday working folks a chance to breathe.

Meanwhile, the usual suspects are concerned the wealthy out of town developers might have delay buyin their latest yachts. They say nothing can be done - just like Marie Antoinette, their position is, “Let them have cake!”

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I was going to support Randolph Bracy for the Democratic nomination to CD10 (Val Demings’ old seat), because he’s a good guy and has ok name recognition (positive NR unlike Alan Grayson who’s crawled out from under a slimy rock again). However, it’s Maxwell Alejandro Frost who’s turning out to be the fighter we need. Best of all, both Anna Eskamani and Carlos G Smith have endorsed Frost (it sure don’t hurt he has the last name of one of our best football coaches ever!) so I’m proud to add my support.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/542344-maxwell-frost-turns-ron-desantis-rebuke-into-cd-10-tv-ad/

From Florida Politics 

he shaved his goatee

34 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

We’re not alone -Tampa is seeking a referendum to cap rent increases also. If this continues, all the doom and gloom right-wingers who say developers will leave these jurisdictions won’t have any urban Florida counties left. As if that’s going to happen. We should also add that the max on these caps is one year, which gives everyday working folks a chance to breathe.

Meanwhile, the usual suspects are concerned the wealthy out of town developers might have delay buyin their latest yachts. They say nothing can be done - just like Marie Antoinette, their position is, “Let them have cake!”

I think there's more too it; constructions costs; bang for your buck type of stuff...  I think it would quell development.

also, rent has almost always been a reflection of an economy and inflation.   you can't have inflation like we have yet cap rents.

“Ron DeSantis has been the worst governor in Florida history on property insurance,” Crist said in a statement on Tuesday.

“After taking millions of dollars from the insurance industry, he ignored the storm clouds brewing in the market because he’s too busy fighting culture wars and running for President.”

Give ‘em h**l, Charlie! God, a Democrat who fights at last.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/541840-charlie-crist-ron-desantis-is-floridas-worst-property-insurance-governor/

From Florida Politics 

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/27/2022 at 8:30 PM, AmIReal said:

Short answer, yes. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Rising interest rates and runaway inflation will limit construction. Besides, I doubt they can structure a rent cap that would not violate the state constitution. Either way, it is a bad idea. 

Typical government taking a once in a life time event and trying to create policy to address it. If they were concerned about rent hikes, they could do a better job of approving new housing. It's hard to keep rents and sales pricing down when you don't build enough housing for our state. This is on all of our jurisdictions though the larger cities do a better than small cities and the counties. 

By the way, the increase in interest rates has caused buyers to pull back as well as home builders. Which means the demand for rental housing will increase. 

40 minutes ago, jack said:

Rising interest rates and runaway inflation will limit construction. Besides, I doubt they can structure a rent cap that would not violate the state constitution. Either way, it is a bad idea. 

Typical government taking a once in a life time event and trying to create policy to address it. If they were concerned about rent hikes, they could do a better job of approving new housing. It's hard to keep rents and sales pricing down when you don't build enough housing for our state. This is on all of our jurisdictions though the larger cities do a better than small cities and the counties. 

By the way, the increase in interest rates has caused buyers to pull back as well as home builders. Which means the demand for rental housing will increase. 

All of these are factors, you’re right. Here’s where you go wrong. Did you know that when FDR ran for president in 1932 he ran on a balanced budget?

Truth was, on economic policy, he had been steeped in the same classic economics as everyone else (Keynes’ magnum opus wasn’t a thing yet).

Hoover refused to do anything because the rules said you couldn’t. He lost huge in 1932.

FDR had no idea what to do, so his team just started to do anything. He also started the fireside chats - they weren’t traditional speeches, it was just a neighbor talking to you (albeit over the newfangled radio).

People were in pain, they needed help, but above all they needed hope. When they saw FDR doing SOMETHING, the despair lifted a little bit.

MAGA exists because Trump honed in on a huge bloc of people believing the system didn’t work for them. He expressed their concerns, even though he had no business being in government.

It’s even more true at the local level. Stop quoting Milton Friedman for five seconds and feel their pain. I love that the real estate industrial complex is screaming that a one year, 5% cap on rent increases is going to lead to communism. It ain’t- developers take longer than that to get a project off the ground in normal times.

It gives people a chance to breathe, though, and most importantly, it gives them HOPE that somebody in charge cares. God knows, developers care about nothing but money.

If you persist in saying “tough luck”, you’re going to do exactly what Pete Wilson did in California and turn a state that gave us two Republican presidents (and the John Birch Society, but I digress) into the bluest state in the country. So, stop thinking about theory for a change and think about people.  Otherwise, when you turn OC Florida into OC California, don’t be surprised.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

All of these are factors, you’re right. Here’s where you go wrong. Did you know that when FDR ran for president in 1932 he ran on a balanced budget?

Truth was, on economic policy, he had been steeped in the same classic economics as everyone else (Keynes’ magnum opus wasn’t a thing yet).

Hoover refused to do anything because the rules said you couldn’t. He lost huge in 1932.

FDR had no idea what to do, so his team just started to do anything. He also started the fireside chats - they weren’t traditional speeches, it was just a neighbor talking to you (albeit over the newfangled radio).

People were in pain, they needed help, but above all they needed hope. When they saw FDR doing SOMETHING, the despair lifted a little bit.

MAGA exists because Trump honed in on a huge bloc of people believing the system didn’t work for them. He expressed their concerns, even though he had no business being in government.

It’s even more true at the local level. Stop quoting Milton Friedman for five seconds and feel their pain. I love that the real estate industrial complex is screaming that a one year, 5% cap on rent increases is going to lead to communism. It ain’t- developers take longer than that to get a project off the ground in normal times.

It gives people a chance to breathe, though, and most importantly, it gives them HOPE that somebody in charge cares. God knows, developers care about nothing but money.

If you persist in saying “tough luck”, you’re going to do exactly what Pete Wilson did in California and turn a state that gave us two Republican presidents (and the John Birch Society, but I digress) into the bluest state in the country. So, stop thinking about theory for a change and think about people.  Otherwise, when you turn OC Florida into OC California, don’t be surprised.

Pete Wilson had retro grade views on Mexicans in a state that once was part of Mexico. As they say, know your audience. It would have played better if he was in the midwest. 

Just because you want to do something, does not mean basic economics goes out of the window. Putting a cap on rent increases helps those that renwe their lease but destroys anyone moving complexes or relocating. The caps never take in consideration when you have recessions and the rent goes down. 

This is a great example of government doing something and making it worse. No wonder people are disillusioned. Government gets overly involved, makes things worse, everyone loses. 

I like money, I really do. But I love prosperity for all. I want to see all Americans flourish, I don't want decisions being made that does not attack the root cause. At least acknowledge how we got here. Someone  from the Commission should stand up and say "I apologize for delaying every project from start to inception. for letting a minority of residents dictate what gets approved and not for personal reasons and not considering the health of the community. I promise to cut the review time in half, provide transparency, not treat this city/county like a gated community (I am looking at you winter park) increase densities on transit corridors, and to work on the Florida building code to ensure we are not adding unnecessary costs to every project. I also pledge to build more affordable housing considering we have record breaking tax revenues" 

But that will never happen unless some of those Yimby folks start getting elected. 

Lake County’s resident wackadoodle, Anthony Sabatini, has decided Republican US House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is “woke”.

Really? 

“At the American Virtue conference, Sabatini trashed Republican Party leaders like House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy as “woke.” He also advocated for a complete moratorium on all immigration and eliminating Juneteenth as a federal holiday.”

From Florida Politics 

Edited by spenser1058

22 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Lake County’s resident wackadoodle, Anthony Sabatini, has decided Republican US House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is “woke”.

Really? 

“At the American Virtue conference, Sabatini trashed Republican Party leaders like House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy as “woke.” He also advocated for a complete moratorium on all immigration and eliminating Juneteenth as a federal holiday.”

From Florida Politics 

I personally think we're coming up with too many "woke" holidays, but Juneteenth isn't one of them. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I think the day slavery ended in America (Juneteenth) is definitely a day worth celebrating.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Did you know that a sizeable number of residential properties (thousands) have been bought up by a small handful of companies the past couple of years (Evergrande being one of them)?  And they have been paying above market rate in an attempt to acquire those properties?  Are you aware of that?  Who does that?  Do you know any realtors?  I know a bunch.  Do you know people that have sold their houses within the past couple years only because they made out like bandits with these sales?  I do and I know people that do.  This has been going on for a couple of years; old news.  It's alarming.  Why is this happening?  Have you asked your local politicians? That in and of itself drives up the prices. 

And what happens when those companies get into financial trouble and default on thousands of units?  Alarming, huh?  It's almost like a forced recession where the bottom of the market falls off. 

Yeah... So rental rates is that last thing people should be concerned about right now.  That is a mere symptom of what's going on.  Evergrande has already started defaulting.  It's like the Titanic is sinking and we've talking about clean bed sheets.

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Did you know that a sizeable number of residential properties (thousands) have been bought up by a small handful of companies the past couple of years (Evergrande being one of them)?  And they have been paying above market rate in an attempt to acquire those properties?  Are you aware of that?  Who does that?  Do you know any realtors?  I know a bunch.  Do you know people that have sold their houses within the past couple years only because they made out like bandits with these sales?  I do and I know people that do.  This has been going on for a couple of years; old news.  It's alarming.  Why is this happening?  Have you asked your local politicians? That in and of itself drives up the prices. 

And what happens when those companies get into financial trouble and default on thousands of units?  Alarming, huh?  It's almost like a forced recession where the bottom of the market falls off. 

Yeah... So rental rates is that last thing people should be concerned about right now.  That is a mere symptom of what's going on.  Evergrande has already started defaulting.  It's like the Titanic is sinking and we've talking about clean bed sheets.

I notice how you’re more concerned about companies with deep pockets who have been cashing in on these usurious profits for a while now but don’t care at all about everyday working folks with kids who had to decide between eating and having a roof over their heads. Yep, I know people who’ve had increases of up to 50% in one year but that’s their problem, right? Love that empathy.

50 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Really? 

From Florida Politics 

of course he did.  it's part of the dog and pony show. guess you've already got your ticket.

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I notice how you’re more concerned about companies with deep pockets who have been cashing in on these usurious profits for a while now but don’t care at all about everyday working folks with kids who had to decide between eating and having a roof over their heads. Yep, I know people who’ve had increases of up to 50% in one year but that’s their problem, right? Love that empathy.

you're missing my point. rental rates is a quick fix; what about the even larger problem looming close by??

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Really? 

From Florida Politics 

I would pay good money to never hear the term woke again. 

5 hours ago, orange87 said:

I personally think we're coming up with too many "woke" holidays, but Juneteenth isn't one of them. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I think the day slavery ended in America (Juneteenth) is definitely a day worth celebrating.

I must be sleeping under a rock but what holidays? We have too many "special" days if that is what you mean. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, orange87 said:

I'm OK with the holiday and I recognize the significance of it.

I just kind of cringe at the name they gave it.

Call it Emancipation Day or Freedom Day etc.

Pick a Monday in mid June to celebrate it and boom, you're done.

Instead, someone came up with "Juneteenth".  

Just sounds like they're trying too hard.   

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'm OK with the holiday and I recognize the significance of it.

I just kind of cringe at the name they gave it.

Call it Emancipation Day or Freedom Day etc.

Pick a Monday in mid June to celebrate it and boom, you're done.

Instead, someone came up with "Juneteenth".  

Just sounds like they're trying too hard.   

Juneteenth is over 250 years old and was named by newly freed slaves. If someone tried to change the name, that would have been truly trying too hard. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jack said:

Juneteenth is over 250 years old and was named by newly freed slaves. If someone tried to change the name, that would have been truly trying too hard. 

wow.  that is a good info tidbit... I thought it was a new thing

On 7/30/2022 at 6:28 PM, spenser1058 said:

Now the MAGA crowd is trying to destroy one of Florida’s best hospital systems:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/30/florida-hospital-conservatives-sarasota-election/

From The Washington Post 

They weren’t content with destroying education, so on to medicine! Had enough?

so, if there was a "dislike" meme, I would post it for that article (not for you, Spenser, for the article).

I'm sorry, but I am not walking down the street, ass up and head down while the hospital system jams their collective you know whats up my you know what, like that rendering in that scene in Holy Grail.  There was so much pro health system propaganda in that article it was ridiculous.  "Conspiracy theories"  about medical treatment?  The FDA and the hospital system, big pharma, and big medical (supplies) are so corrupt they make Jimmy Hoffa look like a choir boy.  Any time a medical institution or individual has a pecuniary interest, they are never to be trusted...period.  When you know people within the hospital system and they tell you stuff, articles like this are exposed for what they are before they ever get one iota of traction.

Is this really a political "thing" now?  Since when are democrats "all in" on smelling the farts of the medical industry...and liking it?  I mean, do democrats feel they "own" science, thus medicine falls under that category, so they "own" it too, and b/c of that "ownership" they have to act like it is a success to save face even when it fails?  I mean, what are we doing here?  We can only take this stuff so far.  It's one thing to back a rich orange asshole with a trophy wife, or a brain dead AARP recipient, and make excuses for them all the time.  Politics is one thing, but medicine too?  Let me tell ya; all the liberals in CA...they ain't smoking much of the medical establishment's pole...and not for many decades...as the whole holistic movement pretty much sprang from there...

so it can't be political...

Enough pole smoking of the medical establishment.  If we want to smoke pole, let's do it for the right reasons (and the right people).  There's only so much ass kissing we can collectively keep doing in society of the authority that controls us.  And the (or any) medical shaming based on what the Authority spews out has got to stop, b/c they are manipulating everyone.  And cheering on a medical establishment article just to slam MAGA has got those medical executives laughing like you don't even know, at how gullible we are as a society. 

WWE: The Rock:  "Do you smelllllll what The Rock isssss cooking!" That pretty much sums it up.

As you have stated so many times before, Spenser, "we are better than this.." even on this issue.