RVA growth 1950 to today

flaneur

I know. It's fascinating to see the dynamism of our metros and then look into the underlying factors such as the economy, politics, and so on to try to understand what accounts for growth or decline, and most importantly, why and how some regions continue to thrive for long, sustained periods.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flaneur said:

I know. It's fascinating to see the dynamism of our metros and then look into the underlying factors such as the economy, politics, and so on to try to understand what accounts for growth or decline, and most importantly, why and how some regions continue to thrive for long, sustained periods.

Amusingly, I just realized I already have this article bookmarked :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think it’s amazing how well positioned Richmond was to become  the south’s/mid-atlantic’s largest city and then....what happened?!  Most of what happened is mentioned in the first post above, it’s just crazy to think that Richmond was just one or two decisions away from becoming a major US city.  Interesting.  Not sure Richmond will ever become one of the biggest in the US, but it can still become quite significant.  I’m excited to watch it happen!  We’re moving in the right direction. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Well put Flaneur.

Anybody think a merger with Henrico could ever happen in the future?

I don’t think it could ever happen, when Henrico was smaller, it could have worked in the 60s, but they and the suburban residents would never want to join with the city as they associate it with poor schools and services that could hurt their housing values.

3 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I don’t think it could ever happen, when Henrico was smaller, it could have worked in the 60s, but they and the suburban residents would never want to join with the city as they associate it with poor schools and services that could hurt their housing values.

Ah good call, it's obvious now that you say it, but yeah it would probably affect property values

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Another thing to keep in mind is this is net population change.  In neighborhoods in Northside and Manchester a lot of new housing is simply rehabbing of old rundown housing.  My house for example was built as a single family home in 1924, eventually turned into a duplex, then turned back into a single family home. I rent out two rooms, but on net me moving into that house probably ended up in a net loss of population for RVA.

That can't last forever though.  Eventually there is going to be demand for new units of housing. You can already start to see it as more apartments are being planned for Chamberlayne and the ones being built on Brook.

• Like 2

http://www.nbc12.com/2019/04/22/richmonds-population-growing-faster-than-state-nation/

Wow I had no idea we’ve added almost 100,000 people since 2010 98,000 to be exact that’s crazy good. Very good news for metro rva. Hopefully the city total population will continue to climb as well. We are at the 1.3 million threshold now which is very cool to see happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I was shocked to see that as well... hopefully that is not the case 

We just had a baby so there is a  +1 !!!

30 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Saw this on Reddit and I'm skeptical about these numbers.   But the 2019 numbers show that Richmond LOST 78 residents, while Henrico gained 2,006 and Chesterfield gained 4,403. 

https://demographics.coopercenter.org/virginia-population-estimates/

Edited by marinog711
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Saw this on Reddit and I'm skeptical about these numbers.   But the 2019 numbers show that Richmond LOST 78 residents, while Henrico gained 2,006 and Chesterfield gained 4,403. 

https://demographics.coopercenter.org/virginia-population-estimates/

Nearly every city on that list shows a drop.  That right there is suspicious.

8 hours ago, vaceltic said:

Weldon Cooper was flat out wrong about Richmond population projections in 2010. It predicted a net loss by 2020. We have EXCEEDED even their 2040 estimates from back in 2010 by 10,000+ people.

Dont believe everything you read.

Hence why we raised skepticism about the numbers to open discussion. 

• 1 month later...