:::Sidewalk Widths

newdorplane

Regarding the new development that's spanning the City, one extremely great blunder is the width of sidewalks in Uptown, and near Uptown, neighborhoods.

There literally isn't any room for people to walk, nor is there any room for the installation of sidewalk cafe's, etc.

What could the City possibly be thinking?  Unless, of course, sidewalks are being given the same attention given to many other infrastructure pieces:  "Build first; correct after."

Sarcasm aside, the issue of extremely narrow sidewalk widths are going to present a huge problem in the future; pedestrians will be forced into the street.

How could the City have been so short sighted?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone with more knowledge can correct me if wrong, but this is one of the issues to be fixed with UDO. This is also a big issue not just in uptown and the inner hoods. The middle to outer hoods have incredibly narrow sidewalks as well. A 3ft sidewalk is treacherous next to a busy road with only a curb between you and a 4000lb car while pushing a stroller with your wife in front of you, because of course she can't walk beside you. Oh, and another couple is walking your way, with two big dogs.  Wider sidewalks should be done or corrected for every new development.

The only time I ever notice power lines is when people on UP point them out in pictures. 

Absolutely,  the 8 ft sidewalks could be wider, but I feel like that will come with the UDO. I recall in the last 15 years 8 ft sidewalks were a big deal.

I feel like the only truly small sidewalks are a result of either:

1) Regrettable suburban development standards that will take time to change/retrofit.

2) Pre-war neighborhoods where narrow sidewalks were fine because the street wasn't as dangerous back then, few of which I see changing much (think noda, belmont, etc), because we're not going to have huge block development around single family.

13 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Someone with more knowledge can correct me if wrong, but this is one of the issues to be fixed with UDO. This is also a big issue not just in uptown and the inner hoods. The middle to outer hoods have incredibly narrow sidewalks as well. A 3ft sidewalk is treacherous next to a busy road with only a curb between you and a 4000lb car while pushing a stroller with your wife in front of you, because of course she can't walk beside you. Oh, and another couple is walking your way, with two big dogs.  Wider sidewalks should be done or corrected for every new development.

Yeah.  I hate some of the sidewalks along North Davidson for just that reason.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:26 PM, JorgiPorgi said:

I think the  powerlines everywhere are an even bigger travesty. 

Agreed.  Powerlines are unattractive, and in certain placements (e.g. South End) remain a mystery, as many of the buildings are powered by underground wires.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:28 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

UDO?  I am not familiar with this.  And yes, the thought of being separated by a small median is disconcerting while pushing a baby carriage.

14 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The only time I ever notice power lines is when people on UP point them out in pictures. 

Absolutely,  the 8 ft sidewalks could be wider, but I feel like that will come with the UDO. I recall in the last 15 years 8 ft sidewalks were a big deal.

I feel like the only truly small sidewalks are a result of either:

1) Regrettable suburban development standards that will take time to change/retrofit.

2) Pre-war neighborhoods where narrow sidewalks were fine because the street wasn't as dangerous back then, few of which I see changing much (think noda, belmont, etc), because we're not going to have huge block development around single family.

I think you nailed it as to the cause of narrow sidewalks, yet I can't believe how slack the City was in the development of Stonewall St.

Between Stonewall, and the promised Brooklyn development, will come hundreds if not thousands of residents - largely going to work at the same time, with a similar destination (Uptown/in town).

Meanwhile, Stonewall street is not very accommodating as it is, so there's zero chance of widening sidewalks in the future.

Finally, wide sidewalks permit for sidewalk cafe's, which not only serve residents and visitors, but (sidewalk cafe's and restaurants) add a lot to the atmosphere of the City, it's charm, and the City's brand.

All of the above are missed opportunities in an extreme blunder.  I really hope the City gets it's act together in this regard - especially as Uptown and South End continue to develop. 

Stonewall Street's commuter pedestrians will likely be forced into the street during rush hour.

5 hours ago, newdorplane said:

UDO?  I am not familiar with this.  And yes, the thought of being separated by a small median is disconcerting while pushing a baby carriage.

Here you go, this tread should catch you up to where the city is right now. 

When I first moved to CLT in 1994, I said to my Charlotte native roommate that I thought the city needed more sidewalks. I'll never forget his reply: "I actually think Charlotte has too MANY sidewalks!" 

Of course, he was an idiot and not a fair representive of every Charlottean (in 1994) but at the same time he wasn't *not* a fair representative either.

(He also loved that the Coliseum was on Billy Graham Parkway and once when I mentioned moving Uptown to fourth ward, he seriously asked if the windows in those houses were bullet-proof.) :tw_confounded:

19 minutes ago, Niner National said:

To be fair, uptown was not very nice back then and it waant too far removed from being full of poverty and crime.

Eh, maybe compared to today but it wasn't that bad in 1994. Plus, just the idea of "bulletproof windows" is hilarious if you think about it. 

"Yeah I live in 4th ward and my house is regularly being shot at but I have bulletproof windows so I feel safe. Everyone should move here but you must get bullet-proof windows. Without them, it's dangerous. With them, it's just a great place to be!" 

7 hours ago, Niner National said:

To be fair, uptown was not very nice back then and it waant too far removed from being full of poverty and crime.

A friend from elementary or junior high (early 90s) lived in 4th ward. The house was very nice & if it wasn't safe, my parents never would have dropped me off to spend the night.

I know all of up/downtown wasn't as nice, but 4th ward wasn't the worst.

53 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

A friend from elementary or junior high (early 90s) lived in 4th ward. The house was very nice & if it wasn't safe, my parents never would have dropped me off to spend the night.

I know all of up/downtown wasn't as nice, but 4th ward wasn't the worst.

All I mean by not nice is that it wasn't a place people sought to hang out in. There was almost nothing there. It was basically an office park with all the buildings on Tryon Street and all the parking decks behind on Church and College streets.

Archived