Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

8 hours ago, rancenc said:

Overview on the top economic projects in the last year throughout the state.

https://businessnc.com/big-promises-north-carolinas-25-largest-job-creating-projects-over-the-past-year/

the interesting thing for the Charlotte all the big job announcements were in Cabarrus, Iredell, Rowan and Gaston but not in Mecklenburg.  

Triad Guilford and Forsyth counites and of course Randolph got many big wins as did Wake County.  

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they changed the weighting of their inputs this year.  Cynically I'll suggest it was to make sure Texas didn't win again.  Biggest factors impacting text were Cost of Doing Business and Cost of Living were both reduced weightings this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Well, they changed the weighting of their inputs this year.  Cynically I'll suggest it was to make sure Texas didn't win again.  Biggest factors impacting text were Cost of Doing Business and Cost of Living were both reduced weightings this year.

They realized US News has the best methodology to sell rankings. One year Harvard is #1. Then the next year Princeton is #1. Then the next year Yale is #1. Then repeat cycle... as if quality really changes that much year to year... but people want to open a magazine and see changes from the previous year and be like "What!!! I'm so shocked! I'm so glad I bought this to know Yale is on their rotation to be ranked #1!!!"

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mid South NC said:

Good to see the QC featured prominently in the CNBC reveal! "North Carolina - #1 State for Business". Seems a few years behind Forbes, but hey, better late than never. 

5FE081FD-9404-4A71-8793-D63E0CFBF712.jpeg

8C10AA83-F0DD-47EF-88C8-9BD6BB8CDA59.jpeg

Here is the complete list 

121685D7-0FC1-43E9-A400-15834BAD220D.jpeg

666A81FE-4695-4A5C-8F30-D67323809567.jpeg

8A9FE804-D6B1-43E3-A04A-45AF504CE51F.jpeg

9DAC6E82-4189-456F-BF75-6BAA59A5B72C.jpeg

B37E46B0-4449-401A-ABFD-68DFCBAE7607.jpeg

North Carolina rises to No. 1 in America's Top States for Business

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/north-carolina-is-no-1-in-americas-top-states-for-business.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

Edited by Mid South NC
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

The heck happened to New Jersey lol

Excessive taxes, regulation, and obscene housing costs.  Despite the absurd and groundless stereotypes, NJ is actually an outrageously gorgeous and super-rich place.  Look up on Realtor.com Alpine, Saddle River, Short Hills, Franklin Lakes, etc.  

Also, NJ is (and always will be) a pharma and life sciences powerhouse due to the concentration of Princeton, Columbia, and Penn in a very small area.   

image.thumb.jpeg.dfa636af809eb9084b889f71332c47e5.jpeg

D02C8FDB-BC8C-4D12-9E13-643BF8D57BE2.jpeg

4D5D4209-B022-470A-B997-5B0A8DC0F4BF.jpeg

CF9D8692-27CE-4EA8-B417-8F06AEB4460F.jpeg

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Getting back on track  NC ranked #1 business climate by 2 organizations in 1 week with different criteria used is impressive.    Heard the NC pipeline is full of $1 B projects hopefully the Charlotte metro will get its share.  But again need to say we need get a couple of megasites going in this region or we can watch multi billion plants go elsewhere.   I believe it is even more important now as office leasing across the country has slowed since Covid and you need to be present at a manufacturing facility.  Not to mention supply chain and lessen foreign dependence of other countries.  

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/07/14/nc-ranks-1-for-its-business-climate-for-second-time-this-week/

It’s nice to see NC get a share of auto manufacturing with Vin.  It seems like SC dominates auto jobs in the region.

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Getting back on track  NC ranked #1 business climate by 2 organizations in 1 week with different criteria used is impressive.    Heard the NC pipeline is full of $1 B projects hopefully the Charlotte metro will get its share.  But again need to say we need get a couple of megasites going in this region or we can watch multi billion plants go elsewhere.   I believe it is even more important now as office leasing across the country has slowed since Covid and you need to be present at a manufacturing facility.  Not to mention supply chain and lessen foreign dependence of other countries.  

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/07/14/nc-ranks-1-for-its-business-climate-for-second-time-this-week/

Who is responsible for assembling megasites and buying up the land from individual land holders / improving the infrastructure to the site? Kings Mountain, Salisbury, and Monroe seem like the most likely areas to have the space and interstate / highway access needs to compile a megasite + being close enough to residential areas for employment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Who is responsible for assembling megasites and buying up the land from individual land holders / improving the infrastructure to the site? Kings Mountain, Salisbury, and Monroe seem like the most likely areas to have the space and interstate / highway access needs to compile a megasite + being close enough to residential areas for employment. 

It is a local effort like with local EDC agencies, the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance should be leading this.  I believe Lincoln, Iredell, Catawba, Union, Stanly every ring or outer ring county should be exploring this.  Usually need 800-1000 acres plus.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

It is a local effort like with local EDC agencies, the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance should be leading this.  I believe Lincoln, Iredell, Catawba, Union, Stanly every ring or outer ring county should be exploring this.  Usually need 800-1000 acres plus.   

I wish we'd be just as concerned about saving mega-natural sites. How does bulldozing thousands of land contribute to Urban living, which I thought this forum would appreciate more?  Quality of life matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3