Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

2 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Very true, a big announcement from any of them would be great news. fingers crossed for a SouthEnd or Uptown office location.

But there are some other big office users newer to the market hovering too so it could be that one.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

0CC83F4D-13D0-42BB-ADEB-00CE44D4B694.png

Huh, that could be the Varo Bank announcement. I don't think that fits USAA or Vanguard. Maybe we are getting Stripe, Plaid, Chime, or Gemini. One can dream.

Edit: The more I look, the more I think its Varo with a big Job announcement focusing on Compliance, Risk, Audit, and Legal now that they have their Bank Charter.

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 2

yes and the state would be involved if it is really big or at least announced by Charlotte Reg Business alliance.  

However Varo Bank is great add to our fintech market and like Robinhood is from the Bay area!  (Credit Karma has really been expanding here too also based in San Fran)   and we know how tech companies love to cluster.  So it makes Charlotte a good location for San Fran bay fintech and tech operations.  I think Google's announcement of their Durham 1000 job engineering hub sped up Apple's decision to get opened in the RTP too. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

Also, Credit Karma selling tax business to Square should see them grow that, but Credit Karma will keep office here post divesture focused on banking/lending products.

I know that was confusing but basically we are "net gaining" another Fintech after the merger.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

Edit: The more I look, the more I think its Varo with a big Job announcement focusing on Compliance, Risk, Audit, and Legal now that they have their Bank Charter.

Do the creative work in the Bay Area..... grow up.... and come to Charlotte to hire internal police officers / dream crushers LOL. 
Hopefully we get some software jobs, UX, product managers, and innovation roles out of this too.

Edited by CLT2014

Now San Fran bay area is good for innovation for sure but to scale a company it is harder to do today.  It is so expensive and being on the east coast where the majority of money and people is becomes very important.   And no they do find innovative smart people here in the southeast that have zero desire to move to Silicon Valley or San Fran. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blue_Devil said:

Now the question is are they staying in and expanding in Ballantine or relocating. Those wages are great though. 

My bet is staying in Ballantyne as the landlord Northwood would easily let them move to larger office and break their lease.  and maybe to the new 11 story office building. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

My bet is staying in Ballantyne as the landlord Northwood would easily let them move to larger office and break their lease.  and maybe to the new 11 story office building. 

I agree. Sounds like our primary competition was Fort Mill too, which means they were looking around that part of the metro area. 

• Like 4

A few of us have talked about this before, but there was speculation Citibank would begin hiring in Charlotte, after the 2020 consent order. Citibank now has 15 open positions, many in the compliance and AML space, just posted with in the last week or so, here in Charlotte. Could Citi be opening a hub here? 

Edit: There are actually 32 open positions if you include Multiple location positions which allow of Charlotte. 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 4