CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

I've talked to people in CATS, and they are saying 2015 or 2016 is a realistic completion date for the Blue Line Extension. Obviously the funding decreases from the sales tax have changed the date of completion. One thing that Charlotte has going for it is that the sale tax is a stable source of funding. Even though its down this year, its still producing money.

The City/CATS is looking at financing options for the streetcar. It is thought that multiple sources will be necessary to fully fund the Streetcar. Potential funding sources include:

• Federal transit programs
  • Federal 2009 stimulus package
  • State of North Carolina
  • City property tax increment (TIF)
  • County property tax increment (TIF)
  • City property tax
  • Municipal Service District (MSD)
  • Infrastructure assessment (LID)
  • Institutional or private donations
  • Additional transit sales tax

I'll add that the Municipal Service District seems to be a favored option, though I'm not clear on how it would function given the other MSD's that the streetcar would cross through. For those unfamiliar with MSD's, it's basically a special tax district whose funds are used for a specific purpose. Uptown has an MSD that funds Center City Partners. SouthEnd and University City have one too.

I'm not pushing any one of these things, just sharing some info. It sounds like if some combination of these options are approved by city council then CATS will figure out how to use the money.

I would say the chances of getting federal money to build this streetcar line are 0 and less than zero. While the Obama administration seems to be much more rail friendly, so far, they have only shown an interest in increasing funding in national rail. I suspect there will be some increases for certain transit agencies but it will be my guess that it will be going to cities that are much more friendly towards that administration than Charlotte NC. Money from the NC DOT for this will have even less of a chance of happening.

The rest of the approaches are various forms of tax increases.

I suspect there will be some increases for certain transit agencies but it will be my guess that it will be going to cities that are much more friendly towards that administration than Charlotte NC.

I thought CLT and Mecklenburg were very friendly toward the administration? Didn't CLT and Mecklenburg vote overwhelmingly democratic, helping the Dems claim the whole state? It would be nice if the administration would remember that.

I am talking about places that are governed by people like Gov. Ed Rendell who put his career on the line nationally to get Obama elected. He also delivered the state of Penn. The Mayors of Pittsburg and Philly had huge turn out the votes for Obama and appeared numerous times on national TV as well. What did Pat McCrory do? He derided Obama constantly and blamed Obama for his stunning loss in not only NC but in Mecklenburg as well. If Easley did anything for Obama, which I don't think he did for fear of upsetting the Jessiecrats, he is gone now. Purdue has done her thing for Charlotte. i.e. gave GMAC $9M for those 200 jobs. Don't expect anything else.

So when SEPTA and CATS show up looking for some cash. Where do you think it is going to go?

CATS, Charlotte and North Carolina - the new democratic darling, the NEW new South. The toehold is in place - it would do the dems a lot of good to build that toehold over the next 4 years.
No doubt the Democrats need to consolidate their holdings in NC. North Carolina is but one state in what you call the "new south". However I would guess that nobody voted for Obama in NC in this state because of Lynx. Under your theory, Dole and McCrory should have done well because they said they pushed for and got funding for trains. Neither won Mecklenburg county.

I've talked to people in CATS, and they are saying 2015 or 2016 is a realistic completion date for the Blue Line Extension. Obviously the funding decreases from the sales tax have changed the date of completion. One thing that Charlotte has going for it is that the sale tax is a stable source of funding. Even though its down this year, its still producing money.

The City/CATS is looking at financing options for the streetcar. It is thought that multiple sources will be necessary to fully fund the Streetcar. Potential funding sources include:

• Federal transit programs
  • Federal 2009 stimulus package
  • State of North Carolina
  • City property tax increment (TIF)
  • County property tax increment (TIF)
  • City property tax
  • Municipal Service District (MSD)
  • Infrastructure assessment (LID)
  • Institutional or private donations
  • Additional transit sales tax

I'll add that the Municipal Service District seems to be a favored option, though I'm not clear on how it would function given the other MSD's that the streetcar would cross through. For those unfamiliar with MSD's, it's basically a special tax district whose funds are used for a specific purpose. Uptown has an MSD that funds Center City Partners. SouthEnd and University City have one too.

I'm not pushing any one of these things, just sharing some info. It sounds like if some combination of these options are approved by city council then CATS will figure out how to use the money.

In addition to the MSD linked above, there is a specific one for TOD that was authorized by the General Assembly 4 years ago. They can overlay the other type of MSD, e.g. an area could be in two or more different MSDs. A streetcar is a rail line

• 2 weeks later...

One of my CATS-related pet peeves has always been the persistence of smoking at bus/lynx stops and the CTC. According to recent meeting minutes, I'm hardly alone in this opinion. They said that a whopping 86% of LYNX passengers would be in favor of banning smoking at the platforms, and CATS itself is none too happy about cleaning up piles of cigarette butts. (PEOPLE, ITS STILL LITTER)

Apparently Charlotte city code prevents CATS from enforcing a smoking ban at shelters that are less than 50% enclosed (ie, considered "open-air" rather than "building"). This means that while they can enforce the ban at the CTC and bus shelters, other bus stops and LYNX platforms are up the proverbial creek. I would assume, then, that the no smoking signs at the platforms were posted as a friendly suggestion.

Apparently Charlotte city code prevents CATS from enforcing a smoking ban at shelters that are less than 50% enclosed (ie, considered "open-air" rather than "building"). This means that while they can enforce the ban at the CTC and bus shelters, other bus stops and LYNX platforms are up the proverbial creek. I would assume, then, that the no smoking signs at the platforms were posted as a friendly suggestion.

I agree with you, that smoking should be banned at the LYNX stops....however it is State Law...not City Code that doesn't allow CATS to enforce a No Smoking rule at the LYNX stops.

The Environmental Review is currently accepting input before it gets sent on to the Fed's for Gateway Station. Nothing new or exciting in the review worth reading (in my opinion) but its good to see this project is still moving forward. Public comment period ends this next week.

I don't think it's been mentioned, but the final Gateway Station Environmental Assessment is now available on the web (with comments attached.) You can find it here. The feds have already reviewed it and issued a FONSI on April 22nd, meaning that the environmental work for this project is now officially complete.

The Airport Sprinter service which was scheduled to start in June will be delayed until September. The holdup is due to getting shelter easement agreements from various property owners...and then they have to get NCDOT approval for the shelters since Wilkinson is a NCDOT road.

As someone who usually takes the bus to the airport when I fly I am very eagerly awaiting this new service.

The Airport Sprinter service which was scheduled to start in June will be delayed until September. The holdup is due to getting shelter easement agreements from various property owners...and then they have to get NCDOT approval for the shelters since Wilkinson is a NCDOT road.

As someone who usually takes the bus to the airport when I fly I am very eagerly awaiting this new service.

Yeah, same here. I wonder if CATS could maybe up the 5's frequency to match what the Sprinter will be, you know, to fill in the time gap... :whistling:

City Council last night voted to request to be placed on a bill in NC General Assembly that would allow the transit tax to be raised an extra 1/2 cent. Before it can come into effect, it will have to be placed on a referendum, and then voted on by Mecklenburg residents.

Mary Newsome (charlotte O') mentions a Wednesday FRA workshop in Charlotte. It is the only one being held for the SEHSR. RSVP here. Sufficed to say, it's going to be a great opportunity to hear about/give input on the corridor.

I'm hoping for some more detailed info on how this thing will physically interact/alter Charlotte.

News came out this morning that Keith Parker is leaving CATS... Word has it that he's leaving for another city. Wonder where and who will replace him?

EDIT: He's headed to San Antonio, Texas. They don't have light rail currently. Wonder if that's why they are bringing him on board. Will be interesting to see who will replace him.

Edited by dbull75

News came out this morning that Keith Parker is leaving CATS... Word has it that he's leaving for another city. Wonder where and who will replace him?

EDIT: He's headed to San Antonio, Texas. They don't have light rail currently. Wonder if that's why they are bringing him on board. Will be interesting to see who will replace him.

Before anyone claims this has anything to do with the CATS organization specifically, I want to list the transit leaders who have announced their departure from other organizations:

Rick Simonetta from Phoenix is leaving to become an advisor

Clarence Marsella from Denver is leaving for the private sector

Fred Hansen from Portland is leaving for Australia

I can't speak to those other systems, but Parker's surprise departure seems to be a slap in the face to CATS and the 2030 plan given the accolades what he was given as the hand picked successor to Tober. We were told he was CATS future, that he would get the203 plan constructed, etc etc. IMO, he is getting out while the getting is still good. The next person to head this agency is going to have to be the one to tell the people that if they want more trains in this city, then be prepared to pay a lot more taxes for it because the current transit taxes are being consumed by other things.

I've said before the 2030 plan is dead, and IMO, Parker didn't have the nerve to bring this discussion up in a public forum and ask for some alternatives. It would be politically bad for him and given that transit agencies in general live more on rhetoric rather than real results, it would not be good for him personally to tell the city and council this is a bad plan. Hence run from the burning barn. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

If by "current transit taxes (plural)," you mean the County half-cent sales tax (singular), it's not "consumed by other things," it's just down because consumers are consuming less things. Granted, once a recovery occurs, the 2030 Plan still doesn't work, because prior revenue forecasts were too optimistically climbing non-stop without any downturns, even though 2001-2002 was proof that the sales tax would have cycles.

And if the 2030 transit system plan is dead (it's really just delayed or needs updating), the 2030 Mecklenburg-Union Long-Range Transportation Plan of mostly roadway projects is long dead and rotting. Due to new requirements that projects be cost-escalated, combined with higher construction costs in general and lower revenue projections, what roadways were planned to be built by 2020 will be lucky to still be built by 2035. In other words, if we can expect a 15-year lag in roadways, maybe a 10-year lag in transit doesn't seem so bad. More dramatically, we are talking a $12 billion shortfall for roadways, when not even half of that shortfall would cover the full cost of the 2030 transit plan.

Edited by southslider

Maybe Charlotte can follow Chicago's lead and use the "Doomsday" threat every six months. The CTA is always out of money and they threaten to shutdown services if local or state funding isn't provided. It's always big drama but someone pulls through and then it happens again. Of course, in Chicago the CTA is a necessity where Lynx is still a "nice to have". I bit the city wished they asked for 1 cent rather than a half cent a few years ago.