Union County

Cadi40

Union County tax bills are out and I got mine.  I must say I not seen a county or city around here  tell you exactly how much of your taxes go to what like this.

Of my county .6321 per $100 value rate

.1632 to UC general fund

.0175 to UC debt fund

.3742 to UC schools

,0292 to UC school debt

.0441 to fire district tax

.0039 to economic development fund basically 4/10 of 1 cent

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Union County tax bills are out and I got mine.  I must say I not seen a county or city around here  tell you exactly how much of your taxes go to what like this.

Of my county .6321 per $100 value rate

Wow! So high and they still don't know where to put their poop?!

That means if you live in Wingate, Marshville, Waxhaw, Indian Trail, Stallings, or Lake Park you are paying higher taxes than if you live in the City of Charlotte.

Mecklenburg haven't updated their brochure for 2024 rates yet but they publish an annual breakdown that shows where taxes are being spent: https://tax.mecknc.gov/tax-rates 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My tax payment is exactly the same as last  year to the penny in Union County.  They did a reassessment about 3 years ago so not this year like Mecklenburg did which resulted in higher tax values for just about every residential property.  

If your property value went up more than 34% since the last reassessment then yes, you'll see the exact same thing with Union County.. 

My point is can you imagine paying more taxes than living in the city of Charlotte and being told no when you want to hook up to the water/sewer because your well is full of arsenic or your septic is failing? 

• Confused 3

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My tax payment is exactly the same as last  year to the penny in Union County.  They did a reassessment about 3 years ago so not this year like Mecklenburg did which resulted in higher tax values for just about every residential property.  

Meck County tax rate for 2023 (due next week) which includes my new tax value is .4731  

CLT City tax rate for 2023 is .2604

So combined Charlotte is $.7335 vs $.6321 unincorporated Union County.   So yeah, unincorporated Union county pays a little less, considering the infrastructure the county needs, I doubt it stays below Meck for long.   A 500k house in unincorporated Union county pays about $500/yr less property tax than Charlotte proper.   That's kinda wild to me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Meck County tax rate for 2023 (due next week) which includes my new tax value is .4731  

CLT City tax rate for 2023 is .2604

So combined Charlotte is $.7335 vs $.6321 unincorporated Union County.   So yeah, unincorporated Union county pays a little less, considering the infrastructure the county needs, I doubt it stays below Meck for long.   A 500k house in unincorporated Union county pays about $500/yr less property tax than Charlotte proper.   That's kinda wild to me. 

And that's unincorporated Union vs inside the city! That's what was so surprising to me, not trying to start a Union vs Meck debate but I've never looked at other county tax rates but I just assumed based on local rhetoric about Charlotte taxes that surrounding counties were drastically lower. If you went to Waxhaw and asked 100 people if someone in SouthPark or Waxhaw paid more in taxes I bet you would get 100 votes for SouthPark. 

• Like 3

Coming to Union County!

Greensboro developer Signature Property Group starts on 360-unit apartment project in Monroe

Elevate Rocky Riverexpand

Greensboro-based Signature Property Group is developing Elevate Rocky River, a 360-unit apartment community in Monroe.
COURTESY SIGNATURE PROPERTY GROUP

Signature Property Group has started construction on a large apartment project in Monroe as the developer adds to its Charlotte-area portfolio.

The Greensboro-based company is building 360 apartments at a community called Elevate Rocky River. The apartment community is part of a mixed-use development called Rocky River Crossing, which also will include a self-storage facility and a hotel. That site is on North Rocky River Road, off the Monroe Expressway..........

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/08/24/signature-property-group-monroe-360-apartments.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, rancenc said:

I love Waxhaw and thought of living in Weddington Chase.  The traffic on Providence Road is a problem though.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

FedEx Corp. signs on for large distribution center in Monroe, eyes 2024 opening

FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) has chosen a site in the Charlotte region for a new distribution operation.

The transportation giant confirmed to the Charlotte Business Journal it would open a 340,000-square-foot distribution center in Monroe in 2024. The company has signed a lease for the facility, which was developed by Charlotte-based SunCap Property Group. FedEx did not disclose how many employees would work at the new facility or provide specifics about when next year it would open...........

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/12/28/fedex-corp-monroe-distribution-center-2024-opening.html

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Lowes Foods grabs space in Waxhaw as it rapidly builds out Charlotte-area footprint.

Christenbury Village Lowes Foods

Lowes operates 81 full-service supermarkets in the Carolinas.
LOWES FOODS

Lowes Foods is expanding its footprint in the Charlotte market with a Waxhaw store.

The Winston-Salem-based grocer confirmed today that it has signed a lease for a 50,887-square-foot store at Prescott Village. That 100-acre, mixed-use development is at Providence and Pine Oak roads...................

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/01/17/lowes-foods-expansion-waxhaw-grocery-stores-retail.html

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Monroe City Council approves sale of downtown site for hotel, with Hilton or Marriott targeted

Monroe has found a buyer for a notable downtown site owned by the city. The sale is expected to pave the way for development of a new hotel with up to 100 rooms.

Monroe City Council yesterday approved the sale of a site at North Main and West Franklin streets for $500,000. The site, which is referred to in city documents as the former home of Hotel Joffre, was acquired by Monroe Hospitality LLC..............

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/02/14/monroe-downtown-hotel-project-hilton-marriott.html

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Monroe City Council approves sale of downtown site for hotel, with Hilton or Marriott targeted

Monroe has found a buyer for a notable downtown site owned by the city. The sale is expected to pave the way for development of a new hotel with up to 100 rooms.

Monroe City Council yesterday approved the sale of a site at North Main and West Franklin streets for $500,000. The site, which is referred to in city documents as the former home of Hotel Joffre, was acquired by Monroe Hospitality LLC..............

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/02/14/monroe-downtown-hotel-project-hilton-marriott.html

this would be great for downtown Monroe and for Monroe in general.  They really only have a few motels in town and there quite a few business and manufacturers in the county that would help fill up rooms in this hotel.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Zillow found 4 towns in NC where the average home is over $1 Million and yes one in Union County and that would be Marvin. 

The other 3 would be Wrightsville Beach and Bald Head Island on the coast and Cashiers in the mountains.  

""The state has four "million-dollar cities" where Zillow says a typical home is worth seven figures. And they are spread across the state from east to west.  

Two spots, Wrightsville Beach and Bald Head Island, are seeing home prices take off as people flock to the Carolina coast, which has been setting records for home sales. Zillow says a typical home in Wrightsville Beach was $1.45 million in February and for Bald Head Island the amount was $1.3 million.

One of the other two places is Marvin, a ritzy suburb south of Charlotte on the border with South Carolina. Zillow says home values there were about $1.1 million in February.

Finally, Cashiers is a mountain oasis southwest of Asheville where Zillow says a typical home is now worth more than $1.1 million.""

from the Triangle Biz Journal.   Because Marvin does not have its own zip code you have to search a little harder to find the homes there as it is the same zip code as Waxhaw.  

Marvin neighborhoods would be Marvin Creek ,  Firethorne County Club,  Therrel Farms and ironically Weddington Chase etc.  (and it has the Marvin Gardens shopping center with a beautiful Publix) 

Here is their 2020 town plan

2020-vom-lup-adopted.pdf (marvinnc.gov)

• Like 2