Publix

On 12/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, spenser1058 said:

One of these days I hope the folks who keep telling me that downtown can’t support retail will explain to me why the Eola Publix gets more crowded every time I visit...

Maybe it's because

1) Everybody needs to buy food and

2) Publix is the only grocery store around there.

It's not like an overpriced sneaker store.  

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Maybe it's because

1) Everybody needs to buy food and

2) Publix is the only grocery store around there.

It's not like an overpriced sneaker store.  

I’ve never been the one campaigning for the overpriced boutiques (and you’ll recall the sneaker store was #1 on the list of city subsidies - you know how Buddy loves the folks with ties to his Billionaire Basketball Buddies). No, I’m all about the next level of service retail, but crickets. Maybe we can get MJ to go for a hardware store and Shaq for a bike store!

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I’ve never been the one campaigning for the overpriced boutiques (and you’ll recall the sneaker store was #1 on the list of city subsidies - you know how Buddy loves the folks with ties to his Billionaire Basketball Buddies). No, I’m all about the next level of service retail, but crickets. Maybe we can get MJ to go for a hardware store and Shaq for a bike store!

I was not implying that you were campaigning for any particular type of store. 

My point was that a grocery store will do well downtown because it sells something everyone wants and needs.

Most other stores sell to  a subset of customers with specific, non-universal wants and needs.

Congrats on figuring out a way to take yet another slap at Buddy Dyer, though.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All the handsome lads were storming the Eola Publix this morning to buy flowers and candy for their sweethearts at the last minute on this humid Valentine’s Day. It was the busiest I’ve seen the store yet in the morning on my last Sunday in The City Beautiful for a while.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 months later...

Souhttps://commercialobserver.com/2021/04/publix-aims-to-dominate-floridas-supermarket-food-chain/th

Although it’s focused on South Florida , this article about Publix and their in-state strategy features some amazing stats. One I found very interesting is that, in 2006, the company owned 11% of its real estate. Today, that’s up to 35%.

Competing with the Pleasurable One will only become more of a challenge. 

• 1 month later...

I’m really gobsmacked at how Target’s Good & Gather brands are really starting to blow away the Publix house brands in terms of quality, taste, variety and breadth.

I never would have expected that. The old Market Pantry brand was mostly meh and even Archer Farms was unremarkable. 

Edited by spenser1058

19 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

If there's one thing I always look for when I shop for food, it's breadth.

I especially appreciate it in bread.

A good bread always has lots of breadth.  

It’s a Winn Win!

I’m also waiting for @jgardnerucf to report in if he’s gotten a Kroger delivery yet. It’s so weird Kroger has a warehouse but no stores here- even Amazon has stores now.

Edited by spenser1058

The end of an era draws closer. The Suncrest Village Publix on University Blvd., one of a dwindling mid-80’s format of the store will be demolished and rebuilt according to OBJ (with a 3060 sf mezzanine, no less).

I know the Kirkman Oaks store of that vintage is still there. I wonder how many are left? I know I’m weird but it’s still interesting to me to wander around town and see the evolution of the chain from the old TP Dexter’s location to the most recent stores.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Woohoo! Save $2.50 starting tomorrow on a Chicken Tenders Pub Sub - it doesn’t get any better than this, folks:

Publix fans can rejoice with chicken tender sub sale
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-publix-chicken-tender-sub-sale-20210901-i7iqfgtdpbbzdiqewx4s5eenny-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 1

Will the battle at last be joined? Publix announced today it will enter its 8th state, Kentucky, with an initial outpost in Louisville.

That puts Publix cheek by jowl with grocery giant Kroger, whose headquarters is upriver from Louisville along the Ohio River in Cincinnati.

When Kroger has gone head-to-head with Publix in the latter’s home state of Florida, the Midwestern juggernaut has not fared well. Does Publix now jump the river into Ohio and battle Kroger on its home turf?

Stay tuned…

Publix expands to Kentucky, its 8th U.S. state
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-publix-expands-kentucky-20210907-l4ki27a7vfbfncraz4oahqwbeu-story.html

• 4 weeks later...